Read 1495 times

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
Title says it all. I'm pretty bummed. I was sad when Jessica left, and this isn't any easier. I can only hope the girls find fulfillment in their future endeavors and are happier this way. SM are notorious for terribly unfair contracts that usually vary from contract to contract (over years and between the girls). The last contract the girls received was pretty nice, but this year's contract far from it apparently. All three girls are looking to try their hand at acting, so I hope for the best for them.

Apparently Seohyun was offered roles in Architecture 101 and Train to Busan, both of which were slapped away by SM.

SNSD will not disband as of yet and will continue as five, but the remaining girls and management are still deciding how to proceed.

This group was what first drew my interest to Korea in 2008/2009. I didn't expect some years later that I would be living alone and teaching in Korea, but it has been one of the best decisions I've made.

Thank you SNSD. 8)
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• Gyeongbuk
    more
It was bound to happen eventually. I'm not too upset, honestly - most of their recent releases from the past couple of years have been pretty forgettable and boilerplate. They were still good, but definitely a long ways off from earlier in the decade.

Agreed for the most part. There are a few still that I have really enjoyed recently. Mostly from their Japanese releases though.

• jddavis7
  • Super Waygook

• November 02, 2016, 12:35:17 am
    • Miryang-si, Gyeongsangnam-do
It seems that they're inevitably heading towards disbandment :(

But honestly, I feel like SM prevents them from doing a lot of things they want to do.

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• Gyeongbuk
    more
It was bound to happen eventually. I'm not too upset, honestly - most of their recent releases from the past couple of years have been pretty forgettable and boilerplate. They were still good, but definitely a long ways off from earlier in the decade.

Agreed for the most part. There are a few still that I have really enjoyed recently. Mostly from their Japanese releases though.

Yeah. I haven't looked at any stats or anything, but I feel like these days they're much more popular in Japan than they are here (despite still being popular here).

The majority of their profits have been coming from Japan for quite a while now. They have a fierce following there.

But honestly, I feel like SM prevents them from doing a lot of things they want to do.

At this point it might be better. I'm pretty conflicted. It's hard to imagine a comeback with only 5 members, though the recipe is still there. Taeyeon and Sunny would have to carry the vocals, but the majority of the dance line with Hyo, Yoong, and Yuri is still there. I feel like their songs would be quite different, but at least Taeyeon and Sunny's voices differ enough. Also feels like the stages would be pretty empty with only 5 members.

SM really is a terrible company when it comes to giving their artists freedom to pursue their passions aside from their kpop activities. I can understand that with rookie groups, but seriously SNSD just had their 10th anniversary. SM should have relaxed a lot more with regards to their contracts.

The new director of SM Ent. is also known to highly bias boy groups over girl groups. She's got a pretty terrible reputation with the Korean fan base. In fact Lee Soo Man (former SM CEO) had to step in to produce a song for Red Velvet or else they likely wouldn't have had a comeback.

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• Gyeongbuk
    more

Yeah. I haven't looked at any stats or anything, but I feel like these days they're much more popular in Japan than they are here (despite still being popular here).

The majority of their profits have been coming from Japan for quite a while now. They have a fierce following there.

SM really is a terrible company when it comes to giving their artists freedom to pursue their passions aside from their kpop activities. I can understand that with rookie groups, but seriously SNSD just had their 10th anniversary. SM should have relaxed a lot more with regards to their contracts.

Meanwhile, at YG...

Oh lord, YG is a different beast altogether. From what I've heard, a disgusting one at that.