Read 3471 times

• jono1985
  • Adventurer

• October 06, 2010, 01:53:04 pm
    • Won-Tong:Gangwon-do province, South Korea
EBY:YEOSU EBOYOUNG TALKING CLUB: BEWARE
« on: October 08, 2017, 12:27:31 am »
If you get a job offer from this academy:Yeosu Ebo young Talking club, beware of the following things:
The owner just fired me 7 months into the contract. Seemingly so, to avoid paying me severance and flight fees at the end of my contract in April.

The workload is back hard breaking and even filthy and degrading on fridays as the foreign teacher's duty is to clean filthy smelly bathrooms.
The owner does not want to hire cleaners so she could save money at the cost of teachers.

Most of the students at this academy behave like spoil brats and just don't want to study, especially Middle school group and they would go to the owner and lie about the foreign teacher.
One day I caught one of the girls sexting.

The other two Korean teachers working there have very poor command of English and always shift their workload on to the foreign teacher.

The Korean male teacher (Chris) is the owner's spokesperson. The sad reality is that Chris cannot speak English at all and gets very angry whenever the foreign teacher does not understand what he is saying.

The owner: Lynn Kim seems to be suffering from anxiety disorder and is always shouting around pretty much everyday to both students and teachers.

The accommodation she provides for the foreign teacher is a tiny little apartment opposite her parents apartment, in this way, no privacy at all.

On weekends and public holidays the owner and her relatives always come around and make noise right on your tiny apartment doorstep and even reminding you how lonely you are.

She recently bought Chuseok gifts for the other two teachers at the academy except me.

You will be expected to teach her spoiled brat adolescent daughter. The problem is, she does not want to study and that becomes the foreign teacher's fault.

There is also a lot of racism and xenophobia at this academy towards the foreign teacher and it is fuelled by the owner herself: Lynn Kim.

She just recently fired me 8 months into the contract. We did not lose students, actually we signed up 2 or 3 students who left because of family financial reasons.

The owner recently started to cut costs by hiring teachers who are already in Korea so she would not have to spend on the airticket fee. She then fires them 8 months into the contract to avoid exit flight fee and severance pay.

She told me she signed up for medical insurance but I never received my medical insurance card.

BEWARE:YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. HER EASY TARGETS SEEM TO BE CANADIAN BLONDES.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:38:10 am by jono1985 »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Re: EBY:YEOSU EBOYOUNG TALKING CLUB: BEWARE
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:37:08 am »
Oh how I love reading a good hakwon bashing  ;D  A few things for future reference.  One always ask before you sign on the dotted line what this job entails.  Be up front about it!  Ask if you will have to assist the children with bathroom breaks (i.e. pull up pants or WORST as I knew one Canadian who had to do this; change diapers  :huh:) If you teach at a kinder hakwon you might be asked to pull up pants or help flush the toilet as the kids are actually age 3/4 and not 5/6 as they tell you.  Two: ask to in a discreet way "Do I have to clean the classroom daily?"  If they say yes then that is code for "you will be asked to clean the bathrooms too."  I know a few friends of mine that work for hakwons that are asked to clean the whole school at least twice a week. 

And three: remove the full names from this post.  I'm sure you can say Mr. K** or Mrs. L** but don't give first and last names on here.  If this school finds out and figures out that it's you, you could be sued for liable.  Yeah here in Korea you aren't allowed to give a bad review, not even to a restaurant, because you can be sued for ruining a reputation.  In order to protect yourself, talk about some of the positives aspects of this hakwon and simply say to people "Look if you want to work here just be aware that you have to clean toilets but otherwise best of luck."  Therefore you aren't out right telling people to say away but for them to make their own decision.   :wink:

• jono1985
  • Adventurer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 03:28:46 pm »
I meant exactly what I said to warn unsuspecting foreign teachers not to find themselves in the middle of a bad money hassling scheme.

By the way,all the electrical appliances in that tiny fraction of apartment are all mine:Oven,kettle,rice cooker and a toaster. I left them there for the incoming new teacher. As well as bedding.

I wrote names because all other bad hagwon reviews have names of the perpetrators, so teachers, be it Foreign or Korean could know exactly who they are dealing with.

Stay away from this hagwon if you don't wanna be dealing with an embarrassing screaming hassling owner everyday.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:22:02 am »
Sounds less like they are trying to fire you to avoid severance and more like they want to fire you because a new school year is starting... and that way they won't have to replace you a month after the school year starts. That said.... what reason did they give for firing you? They have to be able to provide just cause for firing someone. They can't just choose to fire people willy-nilly or to avoid severance/flight.

• jono1985
  • Adventurer

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:37:12 am »
It seems like you are having too much of a good job wherever you are or just never never experienced the trauma of dealing with shady hagwons.

There was no valid reason to fire me. Especially 4 months before end of the contract. Surely it is not that difficult to find a new teacher. Things can be done in advance without inconveniencing and ripping off the current.

Shady shrieking boss everyday, lazy spoiled little brats and incompetent racist and xenophobic local staff.

Oh hell yea although i worked hard and kept up with all the hardships of the job for 8 months. I'm glad i left the sh*t hole.

• Stefan
  • Newgookin

• September 11, 2019, 01:11:41 pm
    • Yeosu, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 01:56:43 pm »
I'm am currently working at EBY Talking Club Yeosu. It is a pleasant experience. I enjoy working at the acadamy and I have only made good memories here. During my time here the co-workers was very helpful and my relationship with the owner was always friendly. My co-workers and owner is very helpful at the acadamy and outside the acadamy, they helped me with numerous undertakings and tasks.

The students are very kind and classes is always an enjoyable experience. The workload is very reasonable and I have never felt any xenophobic or racist discrimination or any prejudice. My monthly salary have always been payed on time and at the acadamy there is always candy, cookies and chips/crisps to eat. My experience at the acadamy is the complete opposite form jono1985's experience. I also did not clean any bathrooms during my time here. Phones are not allowed to be used by students in classes and I actually got a big Chuseok gift.

Yeosu is a very beautiful city with great landscapes and a lot of things to do. For me it is a great pleasure working at EBY Talking Club Yeosu.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:14:26 pm by Stefan »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 12:04:50 am »
I'm am currently working at EBY Talking Club Yeosu. It is a pleasant experience. I enjoy working at the acadamy and I have only made good memories here. During my time here the co-workers was very helpful and my relationship with the owner was always friendly. My co-workers and owner is very helpful at the acadamy and outside the acadamy, they helped me with numerous undertakings and tasks.

The students are very kind and classes is always an enjoyable experience. The workload is very reasonable and I have never felt any xenophobic or racist discrimination or any prejudice. My monthly salary have always been payed on time and at the acadamy there is always candy, cookies and chips/crisps to eat. My experience at the acadamy is the complete opposite form jono1985's experience. I also did not clean any bathrooms during my time here. Phones are not allowed to be used by students in classes and I actually got a big Chuseok gift.

Yeosu is a very beautiful city with great landscapes and a lot of things to do. For me it is a great pleasure working at EBY Talking Club Yeosu.

Well the good news is that google translate is making strides to improve. Which is more than I can say about this hagwon.

• Cohort 2019
  • Adventurer

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 04:08:32 pm »
Where do I sign up? They sound lovely bi-polar, especially the chips/crisp part.  :azn:
incumbo studiis

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Munsan
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 08:10:40 pm »
...almost postcard perfect. 

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 11:58:32 am »

Almost like it was written by student as part of a writing project.  :D Introduction, middle and end. well done. Try making it a little more believable though...

To the OP, sorry you had to go through that, hope your next job is a better one. For those that have worked here for a while know that there is that one unicorn school that comes along every few years that makes your time and money here worth it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:02:15 pm by wherever dreaming goes »

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 02:40:21 am »
Jono1985, I am deeply sympathetic with your situation. I am aware that one tactic of cutthroat hagwons is to fire teachers around the 6 month mark, or the 11 month mark, so as to avoid paying airfare, severance payment etc. In the "good old days" of teaching in Korea, my in-box would get spammed by hundreds of job offers from Korea, not always legit ones.  The average salary was higher in those days, but it was easy for unsuspecting teachers to be utterly shafted. Unfortunately, that's a problem in Korea.
    You give the impression that they fired you at the drop of a hat. That's totally illegal. Hagwon bosses are now supposed to give you at least 2 written warnings, and a chance to improve yourself, before they fire you. You should also be getting a letter of release. If you aren't getting medical insurance, that's 2 laws the hagwon has broken. You can now go to the local Labor Office to complain about your shady boss. Take as much info as you can. Also, you can mention about not being signed up for your pension and medical insurance. You need a medical card.  There are ways of checking up this online, (I think that Dave's ESL Café has a  sticky thread about how to check your pension online).
    Unfortunately, you might need to bring along a Korean friend to translate at the Labor Office. Failing that, it might be possible to arrange to call that friend while you are there, so that they can translate. Not knowing Korean can be a problem. At the very least you might get someone to translate your complaints into written Korean, and then take the written complaint to the office. It should be the office in Yeosu or the one covering Yeosu.
     Last year, I was teaching at a hagwon. I completed my contract and got my severance. But medical insurance and pension were not included, because Her Majesty the Boss decided that it was beneath her dignity to enroll people on E-2 visas. Not enrolling us is strictly illegal. The Boss didn't speak English. Other than that I was treated okay. I worked conscientiously and quite enjoyed teaching there. However, the Boss had hired a new Director of Studies, who was a Gyopo. The gyopo lady had a horrendous experience-and too much was expected of her. She was fired, illegally, but she knew the school had broken several laws. So she called the Department of Education, and the Head Office of our hagwon, to raise hell. She was vindicated. The Boss had Head Office on her case, because she had been breaking the franchise rules, and also had to deal with the government, because she had not registered anyone at the school for anything. That's illegal. The Boss went purple with rage, and had hell to pay.  It served her right.  :smiley:
    As regards Stefan: I know you are a tool of the manager at that hagwon. You are simply giving the management's point of view.