Read 17721 times

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• July 04, 2017, 10:35:58 am
    • Korea
Epik teachers forbidden from owning pets.
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:29:21 pm »
Surely this is a joke. I'm filling out my Epik application for next year and I have to go through a list of things I must agree to. Rule #7 states "I understand that as an Epik teacher I am not allowed to have any pets while residing in Korea." Are they serious? Surely it can't be legal to put a restriction like that on a person working here legally. So someone working at Gepik whose school goes over to Epik has to get rid of their dog or cat?

If I adopt a stray cat I can be fired?

WTF?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:31:28 pm by Maclean »

• jddavis7
  • Super Waygook

• November 02, 2016, 12:35:17 am
    • Miryang-si, Gyeongsangnam-do
Re: Epik teachers forbidden from owning pets.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:31:55 pm »
I can understand the logic behind it. It seems that teachers in the past have gotten pets and abandoned them after their contract ended. Honestly, this seems easy enough to hide from your school. And I can see the school not minding if you've been here multiple years.

• Sikered
  • Waygookin

• March 01, 2017, 08:20:34 am
    • Busan South Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:35:08 pm »
I totally get why we're told not to have them. A lot of people dont deal with the hassle of finding out how to get them home when their contract ends, they may not take the proper care of the pets, They leave the pets in the APT (not to mention the damage pets can do to your apartment which the school pays for). If you're only going to do a year why would you need/want a pet anyway?

That said, I've known plenty of EPIK teachers that have pets. Just if you're wanting to travel good luck bringing them with you or finding someone to care for them while youre gone.

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:35:21 pm »
I can understand the logic behind it. It seems that teachers in the past have gotten pets and abandoned them after their contract ended.

Any evidence for this assertion? And since when did Koreans become such crusaders for animals rights? If anything Koreans should be banned from owning pets. Seen an awful lot of animal neglect / abuse here, but not by English teachers.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 12:36:05 pm »
What jddavis7 said. Also if you live in school-provided housing (as most NETs probably do) then they might be concerned about property damage. 

That being said, the wording is a little odd.  But probably just to cover their bases. 

It pisses me off mightily when I see posts on FB from people who are leaving Korea and trying to pawn off their pets. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:39:22 pm by yirj17 »

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 12:37:48 pm »
I totally get why we're told not to have them. A lot of people dont deal with the hassle of finding out how to get them home when their contract ends, they may not take the proper care of the pets, They leave the pets in the APT (not to mention the damage pets can do to your apartment which the school pays for). If you're only going to do a year why would you need/want a pet anyway?

That said, I've known plenty of EPIK teachers that have pets. Just if you're wanting to travel good luck bringing them with you or finding someone to care for them while youre gone.

They leave the pets in the apartment? Really? Where are you getting this information from.

And as for damage to the apartment, that's what the 900,000 won security deposit is for.

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 12:40:11 pm »
And it doesn't refer to school owned property. Even if you have your own place you're banned from owning a pet while employed by Epik.

They're banning an entire class of people from owning a pet.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 12:41:03 pm »
And it doesn't refer to school owned property. Even if you have your own place you're banned from owning a pet while employed by Epik.

They're banning an entire class of people from owning a pet.

That's why I said the wording was weird.  But I doubt they really thought that in depth about it. 

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 12:45:09 pm »
Surely it can't be legal to put a restriction like that on a person working here legally. So someone working at Gepik whose school goes over to Epik has to get rid of their dog or cat?
I'm not sure how legal it is, but employers can have some pretty broad discretion, especially when they are in essence subleasing your dwelling. As long as its employer-provided housing, they can mandate no pets.

However, if you had your own housing, independent of them, I doubt they would have the standing to enforce such a regulation.

They could theoretically tie it to visa status but I think then they'd have to allow you to take any pet of yours out of the country if you were already in. I doubt they could compel you to get rid of your pet if they changed the visa laws. It would be likely that they could only ban people from purchasing a pet who are not already residing here.

And as for damage to the apartment, that's what the 900,000 won security deposit is for.

That's the school's security deposit is it not? Why should they lose that money because of your pet?

Landlords pretty much have absolute power when it comes to tenants owning pets.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:51:55 pm »
As someone who replaced someone who had a pet...it wasn't much fun to clean up cat hair.  Plus, I was allergic to cats.  I would love to have a pet!  As someone who grew up with one I did have a pet but we kept our dog in the garage away from our home.  And when we were awake we let me run free in our back yard.  But I know current times don't allow for that.  As much as I would looooove to have a fur baby, I know I would be a terrible mom because of the amount of time that I would leave that animal alone.  8 hours at school, gym time, and don't get me started on how I tend to come home on the weekends.  If animals had CPS I would have my fur kids taken away for neglect.  That's why I don't bother. 

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 01:03:01 pm »
I know a girl (not an EPIK teacher though) who got a cat (a beautiful white and grey) who was from Australia and did not to (or knew and didn't care) do her research on the costs and steps required for taking the cat back. She left but before she did she convinced a mutual friend (that she knew was an absolute animal lover) to take the cat temporarily while she arranged for the cat to be brought back to Australia. So this mutual friend of course agreed. The mutual friend was promised money for the cat's care but received nothing. After 4 mos the mutual friend contacted the girl to ask about if the arrangements had been made, the girl put her off saying she was working on it, but it was more expensive than she had thought and she needed docs from Korea that she didn't have. Thinking of being helpful, she offers to get what the girl needs from the Korean vet. She does and sends it to the girl, then hears nothing. 7 mos pass. Mutual friend contacts the girl again...this time no response...tries to message her again a week later, girl had blocked her and unfriended her. And mutual friend got stuck with the cat. Well mutual friend's dog had just died so she just kept the cat. People here do do this A LOT. As in their view of the life here as a temporary existence also applies to their committments too.

I can understand the logic behind it. It seems that teachers in the past have gotten pets and abandoned them after their contract ended.

Any evidence for this assertion? And since when did Koreans become such crusaders for animals rights? If anything Koreans should be banned from owning pets. Seen an awful lot of animal neglect / abuse here, but not by English teachers.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:10:24 pm by travelinpantsgirl »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 01:08:16 pm »
It boggles my mind how people can even bring a pet into their own home only to abandon it.
"I'm lonely and need company."
*12 months later*
"Sorry, I don't need you any more and you're too much of a hassle to take with me. It's been fun. Bye."
Pets are not people replacements, they don't autonomously take care of themselves. They need your care and it is just irresponsible and selfish as !@#$ when people do this. It also demonstrates that you don't actually care enough for your pet. You buy it for your own selfish desire to fill the void of your own loneliness is just !@#$ing boggles my mind how people can be.

That said, I think that it's silly that EPIK is going so as far to say that EPIK teachers can't own pets, but I think it is showing that there is a high number of problems ranging from abandoned pets to pets creating problems in the housing, etc.

Oh... should we also bring up the story about the Jeju duck?  :laugh: Are ducks not allowed?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:10:11 pm by cjszk »

• CJ
  • Super Waygook

• November 15, 2010, 08:11:00 am
    • Down south
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 01:13:19 pm »
What jddavis7 said. Also if you live in school-provided housing (as most NETs probably do) then they might be concerned about property damage. 

That being said, the wording is a little odd.  But probably just to cover their bases. 

It pisses me off mightily when I see posts on FB from people who are leaving Korea and trying to pawn off their pets.

Yes, that shi%s me to tears. People try and put a band aid on their loneliness by getting a pet, and then they try and palm it off to someone else when they leave. Even though I'm a dog hater, it's not fair to a dog to be handballed to a new owner on a fairly regular basis.

• HyooMyron
  • Super Waygook

• October 14, 2013, 11:36:39 pm
    • Jinju, S. Korea
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 01:13:26 pm »
Absolutely no problem with this. So many "animal lovers" that eventually abandon their pets. It's incredibly disgusting. They cry and whine about Koreans treating animals like shit (rightfully so), but then turn around and hand-off a living animal like it's a game of hot potato... Yeah ok, you plan on staying in Korea for a few years. Which is dandy and all, but cats and dogs live longer than that ya ninny.

And that adorable puppy that you saw through a window and bought out of impulse? Bringing it back to your home country is going to be a pain in the ass. You'll eventually give up and guilt trip a friend into adopting it. Then that friend will do the same, until one of you degenerates eventually abandon it on a country road.

Animal lovers... yeah right. Loving an animal until it becomes the slightest inconvenience is more like it

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 01:16:09 pm »
I don't think it's happening anymore (but to be honest I have looked) but used to see that crap all the time on here and people would ream the ppl who were doing the pawning off.
I *think* (but not sure) we made a policy on here that people couldn't do this because it was happening too frequently and it was creating fights (like huge ones).

Yes, that shi%s me to tears. People try and put a band aid on their loneliness by getting a pet, and then they try and palm it off to someone else when they leave. Even though I'm a dog hater, it's not fair to a dog to be handballed to a new owner on a fairly regular basis.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 01:22:30 pm »
As someone who replaced someone who had a pet...it wasn't much fun to clean up cat hair.  Plus, I was allergic to cats.  I would love to have a pet!  As someone who grew up with one I did have a pet but we kept our dog in the garage away from our home.  And when we were awake we let me run free in our back yard.  But I know current times don't allow for that.  As much as I would looooove to have a fur baby, I know I would be a terrible mom dad because of the amount of time that I would leave that animal alone.  8 hours at school, gym time, and don't get me started on how I tend to come home on the weekends.  If animals had CPS I would have my fur kids taken away for neglect.  That's why I don't bother.

I feel this. I would love to have a pet here but I never got one cause I'm not really home enough and that's not fair to the animal. Even a relatively independent animal like a cat needs some attention every day. Dogs even more so. Don't be a dick to animals. Be a good owner or don't bother.

And it's a hassle to always get someone to look after your pet when you're on vacation, even if it's just weekend trips. And I love me some weekend trips here. i guess there are "animal hotels" but that's prob expensive, no?

EPIK contracts usually deal with people who are here for just 1/2 years max so dealing with folks and their pets is not a priority. I get it. We can live without a pet for 12 months. For long-timers though, I can see them looking the other way on this clause.

Anyway, if anyone misses having a pet but doesn't want to commit to being a full-time fur baby parent, do what I did and find a girl/boyfriend with a cute pet. All of the love, none of the stress  :wink:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 01:23:47 pm »
If the few local facebook pages from my area are anything to go by there is a constant stream of landlord issues with pets, people not getting housing deposits back becuase of pets, people abandoning pets, fund raising drives for random strays, other various dramas surrounding pets. I don't blame EPIK from trying to remove seemingly a mjor source of headaches and drama from the NET equation.

One guy comes on one fb page like 3 times a year and is like "I'm just popping out of the country for 6 weeks, could anyone look after little Aurthur? He is so well behaved."
6 weeks? Dont get a ****** pet if you are going to be out of the country in 6 week bursts 2 or 3 times a year. Knobhead.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 01:26:13 pm »
Agree with all the sentiments regarding irresponsible pet care, especially the people who seem to need them as some sort of comfort blanket.

I do wonder how they can possibly enforce this on people who have their own housing. That just seems a step too far. On the plus side, I bet most people who have their own housing and working for EIPK are in good enough with their school that their school wouldn't care.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 01:37:15 pm »
And I love me some weekend trips here. i guess there are "animal hotels" but that's prob expensive, no?
I travel a fair bit and share my living space with a pair of dachshunds. Weekend trips are fine: we just load up their bowls with kibbles, and they'll pretty well just nap the entire time we're gone. If its for more than a single night, we have an arrangement with our vet who runs a kind of pet hotel as part of the animal hospital.
    Anyway, the rates are pretty reasonable: 10,000 won per night per pet. Our dogs definitely gets spoiled there, but I know that not all places are the same: check out a place before you send your pet to it!

Also, people who ditch their pets when they become inconvenient are disgusting.  >:(

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 02:00:13 pm »

They leave the pets in the apartment? Really? Where are you getting this information from.

Firstly , I brought my fur kids here our home country I intend taking them back with me, I understand your shock and horror. You can just tick the box and if you really want to get a fur companion you can check with your landlord and school once you are settled. With EPIK your school will have put down any key money, so any damages from pets will be your responsibility.

AND yes, waaaayyyy too many foreigners (English Teachers included), leave their pets behind. Join one of the rescue groups the is clear evidence of it.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne