Read 2037 times

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• July 04, 2017, 05:11:57 pm
    • South of Snow
Debating
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:43:35 am »
I teach a debate class. Last year I proposed it to the school's headmistress and she liked it. It was very popular and I am teaching it again this year. I think it's a valuable skill. Any thoughts?

I saw this yesterday and thought it was groovy, which prompted this post.

When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Re: Debating
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:15:20 am »
My thoughts are that you are wrong, good sir.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• CJ
  • Super Waygook

• November 15, 2010, 08:11:00 am
    • Down south
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:43:58 am »
You're very lucky if your students have the language to be able to reason and argue.

I think the majority of teachers are just trying to get through their 50 min classes with students who start to nod off after the 30 mins mark and who aren't capable of more than memorising words for their tests.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:56:40 am »
It's an incredibly valuable skill, but it requires a lot of motivation to utilize it to its full potential, and creating motivation requries incentives.

How do you incentivize low-level/uninterested students to give more than one-word answers or "I don't know" responses?

My teachers always used really controversial subjects because even when students don't want to debate they can't help but to start spouting opinions over hot-button topics. That's kind of hard to get away with here, though.

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• South of Snow
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:37:40 am »
I am fortunate. My students are all capable English speakers, though none are native speakers. It is the sole language of instruction in the school I teach at for every subject except languages: French, Mandarin, Japanese.

I've taught beginners, never again. It wasn't my forte. My classes vary between 4 and 9 different nationalities among the learner groups.

To watch them debate with such passion and eloquence is joyous.

• CJ
  • Super Waygook

• November 15, 2010, 08:11:00 am
    • Down south
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 12:47:12 pm »
I am fortunate. My students are all capable English speakers, though none are native speakers. It is the sole language of instruction in the school I teach at for every subject except languages: French, Mandarin, Japanese.

I've taught beginners, never again. It wasn't my forte. My classes vary between 4 and 9 different nationalities among the learner groups.

Yeah, that's not the exact same situation as some of us in a rural high school. Getting a full sentence means a successful class as does more than 75% of them still being awake after the 50 mins.

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• November 22, 2009, 03:45:15 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 01:03:03 pm »
I spent about 3 years teaching in an English focused high school and did some debate classes there. I was lucky because the classes were well leveled. (A class very high level, B class high level, C class a noticeable drop in ability)

The classes went really well, but it took a lot of prep work. There are things that all of us who graduated from western high schools / universities take for granted that Korean students often don't know at all. You'll have to teach things like opening sentences. (different types that can be used) Thesis statements. How to form an argument. (different types of evidence and all that) Making good conclusions.

I had a bunch of kids come to me afterwards and ask to start an English debate club, which was pretty cool. Ran that for about 2 years.

So it's definitely possible if your kids are high enough level. You really have to teach the basics though, or it will fall flat on its face pretty quick.

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:09:11 pm »
It's so awesome that you can do this with your students! I'm super jealous.
This is a great idea and you're teaching them an invaluable skill.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 02:19:37 pm »

Your school sounds incredible!
Bwaa

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• South of Snow
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 01:48:51 pm »

Your school sounds incredible!

It is and I am grateful. Four of my grade 12 students from last year's graduating class got scholarships to universities in Canada and the USA. One particularly bright Korean girl got a full ride to Simon Fraser in BC - US$ 75,000. Nice!

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 07:38:58 pm »
Could you teach DeMartino?  He desperately needs to learn how to debate...

• Aurata
  • Expert Waygook

• July 10, 2016, 09:51:51 pm
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 12:53:55 am »
Could you teach DeMartino?  He desperately needs to learn how to debate...

Can you also drill the absolute basics into Mayor Hagar and life Improvement?

Imagine your Korea...