Re: By the gods I hate K-pop.
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2018, 08:50:43 pm »
Can't get me to listen to K-pop.
I am a Motown man.

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2018, 09:27:35 pm »
Can't get me to listen to K-pop.
I am a Motown man.

Nobody cares and can you stay on topic please. The thread was about K Pop.

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2017, 12:32:17 am
    • United States
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2018, 07:31:05 am »
Pop music of all types isn't meant to be super deep and long-lasting. It's mostly got a catchy beat with repetitive lyrics so it becomes stuck in your head and easily remembered.

If you like pop music (in ANY format-- Jpop, Kpop, or even German pop) it literally doesn't matter. The only real issue is that radios here seem to only have a dial between the same 3 songs 24/7 on way too high a volume.

If you don't like it and prefer to listen to something like Fallujah or Carrie Underwood then do it. All music gets a bad deal if you don't like it.

"EW country? That's shit music hahah 'I'm gonna **** my truck' amirite?? hahhaha"
"EW how can you listen to that Devil music? You can't even understand what they're saying. It's probably Satanism!"

Just let people listen to what they want and enjoy what they like when they're stating an opinion. If someone's listening to their favorite song on a subway without headphones and screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs, by all means tell their music sucks.

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2018, 10:48:03 am »
The only thing more insecure than the Koreaboos who try to shove Kpop down your throat are the people who haven't left high school and think what kind of music you listen to is a big deal.

"Kpip is music for teenagers"- acts like a teenager about how "cool" yoir music is.

Bingo.

Nothing worse than a music snob.

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2018, 10:50:58 am »
Pop music of all types isn't meant to be super deep and long-lasting. It's mostly got a catchy beat with repetitive lyrics so it becomes stuck in your head and easily remembered.

If you like pop music (in ANY format-- Jpop, Kpop, or even German pop) it literally doesn't matter. The only real issue is that radios here seem to only have a dial between the same 3 songs 24/7 on way too high a volume.

If you don't like it and prefer to listen to something like Fallujah or Carrie Underwood then do it. All music gets a bad deal if you don't like it.

"EW country? That's shit music hahah 'I'm gonna **** my truck' amirite?? hahhaha"
"EW how can you listen to that Devil music? You can't even understand what they're saying. It's probably Satanism!"

Just let people listen to what they want and enjoy what they like when they're stating an opinion. If someone's listening to their favorite song on a subway without headphones and screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs, by all means tell their music sucks.

^^ this

• Chester Jim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2015, 02:17:12 pm
    • Arkansas
    more
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2018, 11:10:45 am »
MAybe America should make watches again instead of the Swiss, no one is following Ricardian economics .    Leave the entertainment to the us .
Bonzai!

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2018, 11:29:14 am »

Yes people should be allowed to listen to any music they want, agree 100%, great point.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2018, 11:34:11 am »

Yes people should be allowed to listen to any music they want, agree 100%, great point.

I do think K-pop is a shitty genre which is more a business model than an art, but... so what?
If the act of listening to K-pop somehow restricted me from listening to my music then yes, I'd go out of my way to criticize it. As it is, 2018 is the best time in human history for music lovers.
Never has there been such immediate access to such a wide variety of music, good times!

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2018, 11:56:30 am »
The only thing more insecure than the Koreaboos who try to shove Kpop down your throat are the people who haven't left high school and think what kind of music you listen to is a big deal.

"Kpip is music for teenagers"- acts like a teenager about how "cool" yoir music is.

Bingo.

How about a stress-relieving creative adult hobby snob?

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2018, 12:25:53 pm »
People can like what they like.
But the thing is, it just seems that those older people in their mid to late 20s who do still like Kpop, they always seem a bit fuckin mental. Like they dont enjoy it casually as just another kind of music.

We were in a bar in the with a bunch of the new intake recently and there was a group of American females, 25~35, freaking out about some kpop group on the bar tv. "Oh my god look at Seung ho he's so cute. Ahh,  has hoopy got a new haircut!? Damn Gu Bong Bong seems to have improved his dancing. Tee hee. Oh oh oh, T-boy has dyed his bowl cut blonde. I'm screaming." I want to crawl inside my skin and melt into the floor. Maybe that's my neurosis. I can't even put my finger on why it makes my skin crawl.

It is music designed and marketed to appeal to pubescent girls and boys. Millions of dollars and man hours goes into what exactly makes a group a hit and what doesn't. It isn't supposed to be for people over a certain age. Just like I don't enjoy the BabyTV channel that my one year old is mesmerized by. It ain't for me.

So when i see a 28 year old saying they love kpop, its the same as saying they enjoy those horribly overacted Nickelodeon or Disney shows. Like Hannah Montana or iCarly. Its the same demographic.
I dont think I'm better. Im not saying I'm right. But i do think you are retarded.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2018, 12:43:58 pm »
We were in a bar in the with a bunch of the new intake recently and there was a group of American females, 25~35, freaking out about some kpop group on the bar tv. "Oh my god look at Seung ho he's so cute. Ahh,  has hoopy got a new haircut!? Damn Gu Bong Bong seems to have improved his dancing. Tee hee. Oh oh oh, T-boy has dyed his bowl cut blonde. I'm screaming." I want to crawl inside my skin and melt into the floor. Maybe that's my neurosis. I can't even put my finger on why it makes my skin crawl.

Because we would cringe the exact same way if this age group did this to the Jonas Brothers or Bieber.

Notice that all the examples that you gave have nothing to do with the music itself. It was all superficial aspects of the bands.

I love music. Music is my life. But I don't give a shit about Alex Turner's new haircut. And I don't care about Matt Bellamy's new lakefront home.

I'll talk about music for hours, no problem. It'll be about the recording process, themes in the music, meaning of lyrics, funny anecdotes from tours that they have done that I've heard in interviews. It's the music that's important, so when I hear people go on endlessly about the singers looks and personal lives, it makes me wonder if they actually give a shit or they just have a crush on the band and the music reinforces the crush?

There are three types of conversation, in importance levels

1. people
2. events
3. ideas

The kpop example hits the first one, talking about musical content hits on the third and second. That's the difference. I don't think kpop is evil, and I don't think they're fans are stupid, per se, but the examples you gave versus how I approach music are night and day and it's silly to say otherwise. I'm not better than anyone, and neither genre of music is better. But the elements of conversation and their level of analysis are worlds apart.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2018, 12:48:19 pm »
But the thing is, it just seems that those older people in their mid to late 20s who do still like Kpop, they always seem a bit fuckin mental. Like they dont enjoy it casually as just another kind of music.

It is music designed and marketed to appeal to pubescent girls and boys. Millions of dollars and man hours goes into what exactly makes a group a hit and what doesn't. It isn't supposed to be for people over a certain age. Just like I don't enjoy the BabyTV channel that my one year old is mesmerized by. It ain't for me.

So when i see a 28 year old saying they love kpop, its the same as saying they enjoy those horribly overacted Nickelodeon or Disney shows. Like Hannah Montana or iCarly. Its the same demographic.
I dont think I'm better. Im not saying I'm right. But i do think you are retarded.

Classic
Who is here in 2019?

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2018, 02:00:17 pm »

Nah mate. Jog on. If you think that everyone who is a certain age and likes a certain type of music is retarded...then you're an absolute **** (get creative) tbf. I don't judge fully grown adults for spending their time playing computer games...that aren't necessarily aimed at them. Live and let live and all that.

Not everyone who listens to the music acts like a complete nut job and cries when they see their music videos.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:03:37 pm by debbiem89 »

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2018, 02:01:23 pm »

Bingo.

How about a stress-relieving creative adult hobby snob?

They're up there too.

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2018, 02:17:08 pm »
I love cartoons myself. Recently finished re-watching ALL 13 seasons of king of the hill. :P
And have started on Beavis and Butthead :P
I'm also big on anime as well! :D

I rarely watch regular TV shows myself. Lacks the level of animated sword and magic battling that I've come to expect from anime. :P

I generally don't watch most TV shows and dramas because they get dragged out and take forever to get to the point. It takes good writing to flesh out a complex story under a certain number of episodes, and I normally only see this done right with certain cartoon series because that's the nature of the industry. The downside is you don't get a lot of serious characters arcs because a lot of people don't want that in their cartoons, even if the cartoons are targeted towards adult audiences, but I can live with that as long as the jokes are funny.

Archer, Rick and Morty, and Bojack Horseman are my current favorites.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:19:19 pm by Chinguetti »

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• July 04, 2017, 05:11:57 pm
    • South of Snow
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2018, 03:14:40 pm »
I don't like it Sam I am. I don't like K-Pop and ham.

Although, I'd much rather listen to a song than watch the video. The constantly changing camera angles make me dizzy. This is my question, why do they need to change camera angles every second, or darn close to it?
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2018, 04:10:49 pm »

Because we would cringe the exact same way if this age group did this to the Jonas Brothers or Bieber.

Notice that all the examples that you gave have nothing to do with the music itself. It was all superficial aspects of the bands.

I love music. Music is my life. But I don't give a shit about Alex Turner's new haircut. And I don't care about Matt Bellamy's new lakefront home.

I'll talk about music for hours, no problem. It'll be about the recording process, themes in the music, meaning of lyrics, funny anecdotes from tours that they have done that I've heard in interviews. It's the music that's important, so when I hear people go on endlessly about the singers looks and personal lives, it makes me wonder if they actually give a shit or they just have a crush on the band and the music reinforces the crush?

There are three types of conversation, in importance levels

1. people
2. events
3. ideas

The kpop example hits the first one, talking about musical content hits on the third and second. That's the difference. I don't think kpop is evil, and I don't think they're fans are stupid, per se, but the examples you gave versus how I approach music are night and day and it's silly to say otherwise. I'm not better than anyone, and neither genre of music is better. But the elements of conversation and their level of analysis are worlds apart.

That's an opinion. Some mighg say that people are more important because its how we are as people and the interaction involved that influences people to do thimgs. Others might say it's events because events are catalysts.

As I keep on saying, a big part of music and drama is to experience the emotions of the performer. Dismissing the people aspect is dismissing a big chunk of art.

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2018, 04:11:31 pm »
Kpip? Yoir? Oh dear. Martin is losing it.

For effs sake its a typo on a smartphone. Get a grip.

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2018, 05:17:13 pm »
There are creepy fan girls and boys for every genre.

I went away for the weekend with a friend once and she forgot her favourite Smiths album. We had to go and BUY  another one because she said she physically couldnít go two days without listening to it. Donít get me wrong I love them too, but jeez thatís weird fan girl behaviour if ever I saw it.

Maybe Kpop invites more of them than other genres. Certainly doesnít mean everyone is like that.

I like some of the music, itís catchy. I certainly cringe when my students cry hysterically when they see a picture though.

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2018, 08:14:24 am »
I never got into Archer. I tried, but I just couldn't. And I enjoy Rick and Morty, but like, Ricky and Morty superfans are the worst, and kind of puts me off the show a little. But it is a great show.

Bojack is tops. Pour yourself a drink and feel sad.

I get it, I was honestly the same way about Bojack at first. I had to give it a go about three times before I finally made it past episode 5 of season 1, which is about where the series finally started to come together for me.

I enjoyed Archer from the start, but the meat of the series doesn't really come about until much later. I think part of the reason why I like it so much is because it keeps to a shallow image but has some really deep, almost imperceptible stuff going on right below the surface. And also Krieger.

My brother hates Archer, too, I just can't seem to convert him. xD
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:22:23 am by Chinguetti »