• Near Busan
Modern science gone to heck?
« on: September 16, 2017, 06:01:13 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLUMINLTNLE

Modern science gone to heck?

Where's the sources?  References?

Re: Modern science gone to heck?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:48:31 am »
The youtube pundit is complaining about "clickbait science" not the establishment of science itself. In fact, she spends most of her video summarizing a scientist's critique of another study, an adversarial discourse that represents how science works. That is, when someone publishes an article with weak evidence, it can be disputed. The clickbait sites like Buzzfeed that spread a single study as if it were fact are doing a disservice to science. This is the real focus of the video, and while I think Lauren Southern is a hack fraud, she makes a good point about clickbait sites frivolously referring to "science" to support social views.
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 08:59:09 am »
The youtube pundit is complaining about "clickbait science" not the establishment of science itself. In fact, she spends most of her video summarizing a scientist's critique of another study, an adversarial discourse that represents how science works. That is, when someone publishes an article with weak evidence, it can be disputed. The clickbait sites like Buzzfeed that spread a single study as if it were fact are doing a disservice to science. This is the real focus of the video, and while I think Lauren Southern is a hack fraud, she makes a good point about clickbait sites frivolously referring to "science" to support social views.
But at the same time, let's say I go further than simply disputing the results of your study or imply it has flaws, but instead go all the way to reproduce it and show that none of the same results occur. What happens?

Often, the journals have a policy of not publishing reproduction studies. So, a bad study could continue holding its same esteem, because now maybe you got your study published in some journal and I at best get mine in a not-as-esteemed journal.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:29:08 am »
Lauren Southern, yet another foreigner white supremacist Canadian who comes to America to make money by indoctrinating Americans into committing violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/15/arrests-violent-berkeley-trump-protests-tax-marches

Lauren Southern, a Canadian activist popular in rightwing media, similarly declared: “We won the battle of Berkeley!”
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 12:52:12 pm »
I have never said, nor heard any other man ever say, " Would you look at the lumbar angle on her! A perfect 45.5 if I ever saw one!"

Perhaps I should start.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 08:16:10 pm »
white supremacist

Source, please. For science.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:12:02 pm »

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:27:55 am »
But at the same time, let's say I go further than simply disputing the results of your study or imply it has flaws, but instead go all the way to reproduce it and show that none of the same results occur. What happens?

Often, the journals have a policy of not publishing reproduction studies. So, a bad study could continue holding its same esteem, because now maybe you got your study published in some journal and I at best get mine in a not-as-esteemed journal.

Yes. I think my previous post is in agreement. As you point out, the problem is with the depiction of scientific studies as being authoritative on their own. That's more a problem with journalism than science, although third rate academic journals which will publish anything are also obviously a part of the problem.

There is tension between the incentive of publishing a good story and commitment to the truth. Some organizations do this wantonly and others handle such missteps better. NPR was guilty of this over the summer with a German study on bacteria in kitchen sponges. But recently they published a follow up that properly disputed their own story, with the support of other research.
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 05:30:51 am »
The Left is waging a war on science. Five examples:

1. The Left denies the biological reality of race.
2. The Left claims GMO foods are unhealthy.
3. The Left claims being obese is healthy.
4. The Left denies the biological reality of gender.
5. The Left claims that nuclear energy is unsafe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_m8VQbPY_A

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 05:35:50 am »
The Left is waging a war on science. Five examples:

1. The Left denies the biological reality of race.
2. The Left claims GMO foods are unhealthy.
3. The Left claims being obese is healthy.
4. The Left denies the biological reality of gender.
5. The Left claims that nuclear energy is unsafe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_m8VQbPY_A

It isn't so much a left/right issue as a campaign contributions issue.

None of these issues are inherently leftist.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 05:59:02 am »
Yes. I think my previous post is in agreement. As you point out, the problem is with the depiction of scientific studies as being authoritative on their own. That's more a problem with journalism than science, although third rate academic journals which will publish anything are also obviously a part of the problem.
My point is that there are reputable journals that refuse to publish reproduction studies, even when those as well were peer reviewed.