Read 2596 times

• fn0320
  • Newgookin

• September 12, 2017, 10:34:43 pm
    • Ontario, Canada
First Contract - Wary of Avalon
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:53:05 am »
I just received a contract offer from Avalon English and I am wondering what some more experienced teachers think about it.

During my interview, corporate hagwon was explained as different to a franchise hagwon, while I am pretty sure they are the same thing. Could I get some clearance on that?

I won't know location until the end of Sept/early Oct and they want it back by this Thursday. So I don't feel very happy about that.
PLEASE if I could get some input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Contract is attached because I still cant fit in in the character guidelines.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: First Contract - Wary of Avalon
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:22 am »
Corporate means the sign out front is owned by the same company that owns and manages the business.

Franchise means the sign and business model is "rented", and ownership/management of the branch is a different company. 

Franchises each have different owners, so reviews from one branch might not be valid for another.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:24 am »
The "no contract" problem with the attachment seems to have been fixed.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:05:13 am »
I could be wrong but I think Avalon was one of the schools raided by immigration a few months ago for E-2 violations.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:13:48 am »
It all depends on the management. I had a friend who had really big problems and had to bring in the labor board. It changed hands and everything was fine.

If it is franchise then it is only on a place by place basis and not about the franchise itself.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:37:54 am »
"In some cases, the Employee may be asked to work on a national holiday also known as a Red Day with the exception of Sunday. As
Avalon English is a private company and is thus legally permitted to conduct business on a Red Days. In such cases the Employee
will be compensated in accordance to his or her normal daily wage."

Fun times.....

"The Employee is required to attend events held by the Employer including but not limited to orientation, workshops, conferences,
year- end parties, retreats (picnic), academic seminars (as required by the South Korean Ministry of Education).
If such an event is held on a Saturday, it will not be considered as overtime and will not be compensated. "

more fun... but probably won't happen

"From the first to the third pay period, 200,000KRW will be deducted from the Employee’s salary (for a total of 600,000 KRW) as a
security deposit. This deposit will cover any unpaid services, bills, damages, and airfare in the event that the Employee fails to pay or
fulfill the employee’s contract. The Employer will hold the full amount of the security deposit until all outstanding fees or bills are paid.
The remaining amount will be returned to the Employee at the end of the contract. If the Employee renews or extends his or her
contract and has already paid the security deposit in full, he or she will not be required to pay the security deposit again."

Wow it seems to only get bigger....(guess others made it so it is needed? :huh:)

" failure to clock in or out, or other reasons
the Employee’s monthly salary will be calculated and paid pro rata (daily or hourly). "

Don't clock in? no pay!

"The Employee is permitted to decline the housing offered by the employer. In such cases, the Employee is eligible to receive
300,000 KRW a month as housing allowance. To receive the allowance, the Employee must submit a written Housing
Allowance Request at the signing of this contract. "

Wow! 300k? they must have a really shitty place for you....

"The Employee has ten (10) working days as paid vacation per year. Up to five (5) consecutive days may be taken at once with
campus director’s approval. Three (3) company-scheduled vacation days are included in these ten (10) days. 2 of the remaining
days are scheduled to extend time off during South Korean holidays"

They will give you time off when everyone else has time off and then no real winter holiday. In the contract now...

"The Employee may use up to five (5) paid sick days per year provided they bring a proper letter"

Super good! you can be sick.

"If the Employee renews his or her contract it is the Employee’s responsibility to renew his or her visa. It is the Employee’s
responsibility to gather the appropriate documents needed for his or her visa renewal. Fines or penalties will not be paid or
reimbursed by Avalon English."

Never seen this before so not sure what you would have to do. Always been done for me

"The contract year consists of four seasonal terms with three months in a term. If the Employee submits a written notice of
resignation in the first month of the current term, the Employee must complete the current term he or she is in. If the Employee
submits a written notice of resignation in the second or third month of the current term, the Employee must complete both the
current term and the following seasonal term. Resignations submitted via email are not acceptable. All resignations must be
handwritten or typed and printed out with the Employee’s signature.
"

Pretty sure that is illegal by labor laws.... 30 days is the mandated. Not sure if it can be changed by the contract.

"The Employee tells others about his or her own employment contract details."

Under termination... sorry you are already fired ;)

TLDR
Well it is not horrible but kinda standard with all the bullshiz that hagwons put in now days. All depends on the management. Make 100% sure that they are paying into pension and health insurance. AKA call the gov to make sure.

• meldrew
  • Veteran

• December 14, 2014, 10:50:41 pm
    • China
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »
I just received a contract offer from Avalon English and I am wondering what some more experienced teachers think about it.

During my interview, corporate hagwon was explained as different to a franchise hagwon, while I am pretty sure they are the same thing. Could I get some clearance on that?

I won't know location until the end of Sept/early Oct and they want it back by this Thursday. So I don't feel very happy about that.
PLEASE if I could get some input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Contract is attached because I still cant fit in in the character guidelines.

On the contract it says Bundang which is Avalon headquarters so you'll be working for the corporation directly. I worked for an Avalon franchise back in 2011 and it was fantastic. Each franchise, as someone else said, is run by different managers and owners so experience will absolutely vary. I was probably lucky.

• lelsasser
  • Veteran

• October 02, 2016, 04:33:26 pm
    • Suwon, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 08:30:04 am »
Hey, I worked for Avalon. There is definitely a big difference between franchise and company-owned. I have heard to be more wary of franchise as they don't need to follow the rules of the company, and can do what they want. This can also work in your advantage though.
As a whole, not a huge fan of Avalon and wouldn't recommend anyone to work there. Here are a few things that I didn't like about them:
They said in the contract we would be given 10 holidays (5 we choose, and 5 the company would choose) but in the end, I only got 8 (the company didn't use the whole 5 they chose, so I was paid out.. I would have rather had some vacation).
Also, there were a few incidences where I had to come in early (e.g. campus renovations and had to come in at 7:30 AM instead of 9:30 AM to move stuff back) and we were not compensated for it. It was also not uncommon to work overtime for phone speaking (they would schedule phone speaking with students past our working hours) and again, not compensated for that.
Depending on the campus, but some campuses are chill, and some are strict (mine was more on the strict side as I worked in Daechi-dong). As for Daechi-dong....all I will say is 'tiger moms'.
I also found their HR for foreign teachers very unhelpful a majority of the time. They only responded if it was convenient for them.
The few good things I can say though are they pay on time, they do follow contract, and they give you nice apartments that are usually situated near a subway station.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 06:14:11 am »
Curious if OP accepted this contract in the end.

Was just offered the same contract last week and noticed the issues with contract as mentioned above.

Pretty sure I'll be giving this one a pass.