Read 2170 times

• lloydloots
  • Explorer

• March 04, 2013, 10:06:28 am
    • Andong, South Korea
Options for South Africans leaving Korea
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:48:05 am »
So to all South Africans... what options do we have after Korea if the main goal is to NOT return to South Africa?

Working visas seem to exclude everyone with out a brain surgeon's degree.

Re: Options for South Africans leaving Korea
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:27:15 am »
It's pretty straight forward if you want to get a long-stay visa.

Learn the language (TOPIK Level 5 at least)
Have x amount of money in the bank (don't know if the amount has changed but last time I checked 20 mil was ok)
Be younger than 40 (older can do, but prime is early 30s)

Once you have your long-stay you can start applying for permanent residence.

Or, you can marry a Korean.  I don't recommend marrying for a visa.

I'm not going back...

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:56:07 am »
I guess it depends on what  exactly you want to do after you leave Korea.

I'm going for a second degree in the US in a year. Or you could look for jobs in whatever field you studied in.

• lloydloots
  • Explorer

• March 04, 2013, 10:06:28 am
    • Andong, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:13:22 am »
It's pretty straight forward if you want to get a long-stay visa.

Learn the language (TOPIK Level 5 at least)
Have x amount of money in the bank (don't know if the amount has changed but last time I checked 20 mil was ok)
Be younger than 40 (older can do, but prime is early 30s)

Once you have your long-stay you can start applying for permanent residence.

Or, you can marry a Korean.  I don't recommend marrying for a visa.

I'm not going back...

But I have heard that males under the age of 40ish would have to do military service...

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:52:38 am »
So to all South Africans... what options do we have after Korea if the main goal is to NOT return to South Africa?

Oh, my bad, thought you were wanting to stay in Korea.  Dubai is a good option if you want to make some cash.

• Challen13
  • Adventurer

• July 11, 2016, 12:37:44 pm
    • Masan, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:58:18 am »

Oh, my bad, thought you were wanting to stay in Korea.  Dubai is a good option if you want to make some cash.

As far as I know, UAE countries tend to require a teaching license though. So if you're teaching here in Korea without an undergrad in Education, then you'll have to do a PGCE most likely. Then again, UAE countries are starting to reject applicants with PGCEs from Unisa.

Are there any teachers on here who do or have recently taught in the UAE and could you shed some light on the topic please?

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:40:32 am »

As far as I know, UAE countries tend to require a teaching license though. So if you're teaching here in Korea without an undergrad in Education, then you'll have to do a PGCE most likely. Then again, UAE countries are starting to reject applicants with PGCEs from Unisa.

Are there any teachers on here who do or have recently taught in the UAE and could you shed some light on the topic please?

I'd also like some information on this (UNISA's credibility in the UAE, and the rest of the world).

Also, I ran a quote for PGCE through UNISA's website a few months ago. The course will run you about R45,000, thanks to their recent international levy price hikes. This applies to all South Africans living (and studying) outside of South Africa. Ridiculous.

If you're desperate enough for the PGCE, a better option might be to return home for a year and study it through a regular institution.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 06:48:58 pm »
PMed theman3285.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:55:28 pm »
So to all South Africans... what options do we have after Korea if the main goal is to NOT return to South Africa? .

There's always the volkstaat for you guys  :laugh:

I'm sure you could find work picking oranges in orania.
Catch my drift?

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:29:10 am »
So to all South Africans... what options do we have after Korea if the main goal is to NOT return to South Africa? .

There's always the volkstaat for you guys  :laugh:

I'm sure you could find work picking oranges in orania.

Hahaha. The volkstaat was a pipe dream, unfortunately. Though I would've been happy to live there.