Read 2291 times

• wetorie
  • Explorer

• September 13, 2017, 08:43:58 am
    • Korea
Filling Out the Self-Medical Assessment
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:55:49 am »
Hello,

I have recently signed a contract to work with a hagwon in South Korea. However, they are requiring me to fill out the self-medical assessment for the Korean Immigration Office. The two questions i struggle with are as follows:

"Have you ever taken any narcotic (drug) or have you ever been addicted to alcohol in the last 5 years"

"Have you ever received treatment for mental/neurotic/emotional disorders?"

I was diagnosed with ADHD at 8 years old and have been taking Adderall ever since then, which i think counts as a narcotic. Knowing this fact I have stopped taking Adderall and have started taking Ritalin recently. However, i would have to answer "yes" to both of these questions if i answered truthfully.

I do not want to be penalized or stripped of an opportunity because of these reasons. However, the form states that if i provide incorrect information, i face consequences such as visa denial, visa cancellation, deportation, etc.

I suppose my question is, how should i answer these questions? Should i be truthful about it or should i say "no" for both of them?

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• July 04, 2017, 10:35:58 am
    • Korea
Re: Filling Out the Self-Medical Assessment
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:08 am »
First rule of working in Korea is this. Do not volunteer any personal information to anyone. Keep your personal information, your religion (or lack thereof), sexual orientation, dating life, drinking habits, and what you do on the weekend to yourself.

That includes your medical history. Mental health issues are stigmatized here. Checking 'yes' to either of those questions is not in your interest. Volunteering that information can only be used against your chances of being employed. And if you get employed, everyone in the school will know about your health issues. Your health will become school gossip, and the gossip will reach the parents. Nothing good can come of that.

Stay on the medication that you need. Don't mess with your meds because of a form question. It will not show up in the medical exam. The school / board of education will have no way of knowing that you are taking meds.

Just don't have a doctor in your area and don't get your prescription filled near your home. Doctor / patient confidentiality is pretty much non-existent here. I work in a town but I have a doctor in Seoul.

Be well. Enjoy your job. Check 'no' on the form. Get your meds filled out of town.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:16:22 am by Maclean »

• wetorie
  • Explorer

• Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:16:23 am »
Is that what you did?

I am just worried about the fact that it says i could get deported, etc. But if others have done that then that's exactly what I'll do.

I really appreciate the answer and it helps a lot.

Would you mind me asking how you found doctors in Seoul? Also, is it a difficult process to get things done there, or if i provide a diagnosis and note from my doctor should i be good to go?

Thank you!  :azn:

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:24:11 am »
There are English-speaking doctors and clinics in the major cities. You will also have health insurance so your pills will be cheap. Where will you be teaching?

Honestly, keep that information to yourself. I was denied a public school job a few years back because I mentioned on the form that I had high blood pressure. It was completely under control due to meds but I still lost the job. After that I always answered in the negative.

Mac

• wetorie
  • Explorer

• Korea
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:50:40 am »
It is good to know that information!

I will be working in Suwon, which isn't crazy far from Seoul i suppose. I think i'll probably try to find a doctor there!

Thank you so much for your helpful information and advice!

• gideonvasquez
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2015, 08:42:34 am
    • Uisung - Gyeongbuk-do
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 11:24:33 am »
I don't know if this has changed or not but a couple years ago I was looking at covered and uncovered conditions when deciding if I wanted supplemental insurance. The nation health plan didn't cover adult prescriptions for ADHD or ADD. There was something in there about adults being covered if medication was prescribed before 14/15 (meaning prescribed by a Korean doctor in Korea). So the medication might be entirely on your own dime should you fill it here. Also, there are a few other options available. Ritalin and Concerta are the bigger two. There are a few others but those are the two I am aware of.

If you want a prescription here you will probably need a consultation and they might only prescribe a month at a time.

• wetorie
  • Explorer

• Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 05:22:17 am »
Thank you everyone for all of this very helpful information, especially about the ADHD medications. Its a real hassle and it'll probably be expensive but there is really nothing i can do about this. Thank you so much!!

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 06:07:33 am »
And there's irony when such assessments ask you how many alcoholic drinks you have per week...

When most jobs/schools practically require you to drink. Heck, I've had principals and vice principals pour glasses of beer for everyone... on school grounds at multiple public schools. Dinners out with the school are glorified attempts at having everyone drink.

• parkerynp
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2017, 06:38:51 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 07:53:12 am »
Just don't have a doctor in your area and don't get your prescription filled near your home. Doctor / patient confidentiality is pretty much non-existent here. I work in a town but I have a doctor in Seoul.

I do the exact opposite and have absolutely no problems. As in life, everything is circumstantial. I live in a rural town so the odds of people knowing my medical history are very high (according to this assessment) and yet I haven't heard a peep.

Just don't have any thc or benzos in your system upon arrival and you should  be fine.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 08:08:29 am »
this isn't  a case of an ambiguous question or a misunderstanding.  You are outright lying on your visa application.  Of course you can and should be prosecuted and deported if you are caught.   Just because other people have gotten away with doing something illegal/immoral isn't an assurance that you will get away with it.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 08:30:10 am »
this isn't  a case of an ambiguous question or a misunderstanding.  You are outright lying on your visa application.  Of course you can and should be prosecuted and deported if you are caught.   Just because other people have gotten away with doing something illegal/immoral isn't an assurance that you will get away with it.
You must be absolutely perfect Grimne_Lothos.  I'm sure you've never done anything wrong in your entire life.  But, if you did do something in the past that doesn't affect your performance in the present, woud you want to be judged based on that?

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 08:44:46 am »

LOL

OP, ignore this guy.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 09:25:40 am »
OMG even recruiters know better and tell you not to admit to that stuff. I wrote I had two hidden tattoos and my recruiter deleted it from my application, saying "don't say stuff like that"
LOL
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 09:27:15 am »
Why would you check boxes that would drastically reduce your chance of getting a job?

*Nostalgia Warning*  I remember back when I was applying for a job in JP a few years back, we had a group interview. About 20 of us were competing for 3 positions.
One of the questions that came up was "Do you have any tattoos or piercings?"
The obvious correct answer was "Nope. Nada."
One of the dudes in the group had full sleeve tats, ink on his knuckles, on the back of his neck etc. He also had about a dozen piercing holes that I could see. He answered "no" and the panel just kinda nodded to themselves and checked a box.

He worked for 3 years in the city next to mine (Onamichi). Great guy! Taught me how to surf.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:55:11 am by kyndo »

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 09:36:05 am »
As someone who is moving to Japan soon (and done a lot of research about the market and the country) I am fascinated that they hired him, considering the massive stigma (yakuza) of tattoos there.  I am guessing, he rarely, if ever got a chance to partake in onsens lol

Why would you check boxes that would drastically reduce your chance of getting a job?

*Nostalgia Warning*
  I remember back when I was applying for a job in JP a few years back, we had a group interview. About 20 of us were competing for 3 positions.
One of the questions that came up was "Do you have any tattoos or piercings?"
The obvious correct answer was "Nope. Nada."
One of the dudes in the group had full sleeve tats, ink on his knuckles, on the back of his neck etc. He also had about a dozen piercing holes that I could see. He answered "no" and the panel just kinda nodded to themselves and checked a box.

He worked for 3 years in the city next to mine (Onamichi). Great guy! Taught me how to surf.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 09:49:04 am »
I am fascinated that they hired him, considering the massive stigma (yakuza) of tattoos there. 
Well, to be fair, he covered them up pretty well for the interview so they might not have been aware. Also, the hiring squad weren't Japanese, so they might not really have cared enough to look closely. He did wear plasters on his hands when he taught, though.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 09:53:48 am »
Ahhh that makes more sense.

I am fascinated that they hired him, considering the massive stigma (yakuza) of tattoos there. 
Well, to be fair, he covered them up pretty well for the interview so they might not have been aware. Also, the hiring squad weren't Japanese, so they might not really have cared enough to look closely. He did wear plasters on his hands when he taught, though.