Read 14782 times

Re: South Korea birth rate plunges to record low
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2019, 05:08:52 pm »
And let's not forget how difficult they've made it to score a black designer peacoat whenever the first sale of the fall happens because moms show up at 10AM and raid that shit. And the Second Great Storming of the DKNY Outlet (2003)

At least they ran the 30th Korean Dry Cleaners in the city out of the strip mall and put in a new Coney Island/Kennedy Fried Chicken knockoff.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 05:14:26 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2019, 10:41:41 am »
This is one of the brighter aspects of the Korean mentality in my opinion. Who in their right mind wants kids? Man, talk about throwing your life away. Kids ruin everything.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2019, 12:21:35 pm »
This is one of the brighter aspects of the Korean mentality in my opinion. Who in their right mind wants kids? Man, talk about throwing your life away. Kids ruin everything.
Says you. (my)Kid is awesome and the he has brought me more happiness then I could even begin to express through mere words. But I can certainly see how kids aren't for everyone.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2019, 12:30:14 pm »
Perhaps, but it's selfish and perhaps even mean to have kids and leave them to solve the world's problems. I'd be heartbroken if I had had a child going on one of those climate school strikes and then have her/him ask me why I still drive a car...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:32:50 pm by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2019, 01:35:24 pm »
Let's face it, in developed countries people have kids for selfish reasons  - they think it'll make them happier and give their life more meaning and they don't have kids for selfish reasons - they think it'll impinge on their lifestyle and cost too much money. No one's doing either out of duty to the human race.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2019, 06:46:06 pm »

That's your right, but if there's one bad thing about this modern, digital age is that it's raising a generation of adults who are regressing into selfish, self-centered children. If we look at Erikson's theories, at approximately 39yrs of age, the healthy adult seeks to leave a legacy that will outlast themselves, naturally, this refers to nurturing offspring.

The problem is that some of the millennial generation, as I've said, become so self-absorbed that their needs are constantly the centre of the universe. Relationships are failing because couples aren't willing to compromise their selfish needs for that of nurturing a potential family, which ultimately leads to a greater happiness.

One of the reasons Koreans are choosing not to have kids because they aren't willing to forego material possessions, fancy hagwons, smartphones and designer goods for a modest lifestyle with children. It's either all the material fluff with kids or no kids.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2019, 08:20:41 pm »
Exactimundo. It has nothing to do with saving the planet.

That's your right, but if there's one bad thing about this modern, digital age is that it's raising a generation of adults who are regressing into selfish, self-centered children. If we look at Erikson's theories, at approximately 39yrs of age, the healthy adult seeks to leave a legacy that will outlast themselves, naturally, this refers to nurturing offspring.

The problem is that some of the millennial generation, as I've said, become so self-absorbed that their needs are constantly the centre of the universe. Relationships are failing because couples aren't willing to compromise their selfish needs for that of nurturing a potential family, which ultimately leads to a greater happiness.

One of the reasons Koreans are choosing not to have kids because they aren't willing to forego material possessions, fancy hagwons, smartphones and designer goods for a modest lifestyle with children. It's either all the material fluff with kids or no kids.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2019, 12:27:43 am »
* material fluff - no kids

* modest lifestyle - free kids included (Recommended by Amazon)

* no kids + guilt-free abuse of the planet- air travel included

Free kids - Now with extra cheap oil
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:42:52 am by SanderB »

« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2019, 07:36:20 am »
It is not one reason. There are multiple reasons including - empowerment of women (they now have careers and put marriage off), invention of contraception (now copulation is about purely pleasure rather than reproduction) and costs of bringing up kids.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2019, 07:41:19 am »
It is not one reason. There are multiple reasons including - empowerment of women (they now have careers and put marriage off), invention of contraception (now copulation is about purely pleasure rather than reproduction) and costs of bringing up kids.

Check again, I said "One of the reasons".

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2019, 08:02:48 am »
* material fluff - no kids

* modest lifestyle - free kids included (Recommended by Amazon)

* no kids + guilt-free abuse of the planet- air travel included

Free kids - Now with extra cheap oil

To be honest, I'm not a fan of most kids, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them "material fluff".

If you don't want to have kids, no problem and I applaud your foresight, if more people took their parental responsibilities more seriously instead of having kids and neglecting them the world would be better off. However, deciding not to have kids out of concern for the planet is a bit silly. Earth is self-sustaining, celestial body that's been around for billions of years, we couldn't harm it if we tried. Assuming we continue to poison the air and kill off animals at an exponential rate, we'll simply die off and the planet will take a few million years to shake off the minor annoyance humans have caused, no biggie. All those species we killed will simply evolve again.

More people potentially means more engineers, scientists or farmers. One of them could be responsible for the next breakthrough in green energy.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2019, 08:17:41 am »
Darn, and I had believed myself to have  been incredibly witty there... :azn:

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2019, 08:20:01 am »
Darn, and I had believed myself to have  been incredibly witty there... :azn:

That was some pretty impressive editing though.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2019, 08:56:12 am »
Somewhere over the rainbow...

I am waiting for these guys to come and finish the rest of the job off!

Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2019, 10:35:38 am »
However, deciding not to have kids out of concern for the planet is a bit silly. Earth is self-sustaining, celestial body that's been around for billions of years, we couldn't harm it if we tried.
     I think that most people understand that when one says a particular action,person, or company is harming the planet, they don't literally mean they're beating up planet Earth. It's an idiom that generally means that it is harmful to the ecosystem/environment as we know it. Burning a 40 kilograms of plastic every year (currently the global annual  per capita average) won't cause our planet to fragment into a gabazzilion pieces, but it can have lasting negative impacts on our environment.

Assuming we continue to poison the air and kill off animals at an exponential rate, we'll simply die off and the planet will take a few million years to shake off the minor annoyance humans have caused, no biggie. All those species we killed will simply evolve again.
     Maybe.
     The greenhouse effect is a tricky thing. Runaway greenhouse effects can rapidly lead to pretty serious extinction events (like what happened in The Great Dying). Life might recover after a  few dozen million years, but it's doubtful that any of it will be recognizable to us. Personally, I would like think that humans as a species will still be around in a few hundred years.

More people potentially means more engineers, scientists or farmers. One of them could be responsible for the next breakthrough in green energy.
I disagree.
There is a point of diminishing returns where additional population doesn't result in additional scientific breakthroughs. If seven billion people can't dream up a better widget, then an extra billion or two won't either. Without some serious sociological or scientific improvements, things will start to look pretty grim for humanity in the next few decades. Adding more people will only make things worse.
    Of course, necessity is the mother of all invention, true, but I feel that things are going to be bad enough what with all the points of no return that we've already passed -- the existing necessity will become more and more evident in the next generation or two regardless of what our birthrates are. The necessity is already there, and that will only become increasingly evident as time passes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that individuals shouldn't have kids, but I *do*believe that it is morally wrong for a society to encourage higher birthrates when the planet is already filled to brim with folk who would be happy to immigrate and assimilate. I strongly believe that future generations will regard our reckless apathy towards population carrying capacities in much the same way as the current one looks at slavery, eugenics, and fascism.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:42:19 am by kyndo »

« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2019, 01:42:22 pm »
Somewhere over the rainbow...

I am waiting for these guys to come and finish the rest of the job off!

lol @ Australian cricket
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2019, 02:19:53 pm »
However, deciding not to have kids out of concern for the planet is a bit silly. Earth is self-sustaining, celestial body that's been around for billions of years, we couldn't harm it if we tried.
     I think that most people understand that when one says a particular action,person, or company is harming the planet, they don't literally mean they're beating up planet Earth. It's an idiom that generally means that it is harmful to the ecosystem/environment as we know it. Burning a 40 kilograms of plastic every year (currently the global annual  per capita average) won't cause our planet to fragment into a gabazzilion pieces, but it can have lasting negative impacts on our environment.

Assuming we continue to poison the air and kill off animals at an exponential rate, we'll simply die off and the planet will take a few million years to shake off the minor annoyance humans have caused, no biggie. All those species we killed will simply evolve again.
     Maybe.
     The greenhouse effect is a tricky thing. Runaway greenhouse effects can rapidly lead to pretty serious extinction events (like what happened in The Great Dying). Life might recover after a  few dozen million years, but it's doubtful that any of it will be recognizable to us. Personally, I would like think that humans as a species will still be around in a few hundred years.

I disagree.
There is a point of diminishing returns where additional population doesn't result in additional scientific breakthroughs. If seven billion people can't dream up a better widget, then an extra billion or two won't either. Without some serious sociological or scientific improvements, things will start to look pretty grim for humanity in the next few decades. Adding more people will only make things worse.
    Of course, necessity is the mother of all invention, true, but I feel that things are going to be bad enough what with all the points of no return that we've already passed -- the existing necessity will become more and more evident in the next generation or two regardless of what our birthrates are. The necessity is already there, and that will only become increasingly evident as time passes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that individuals shouldn't have kids, but I *do*believe that it is morally wrong for a society to encourage higher birthrates when the planet is already filled to brim with folk who would be happy to immigrate and assimilate. I strongly believe that future generations will regard our reckless apathy towards population carrying capacities in much the same way as the current one looks at slavery, eugenics, and fascism.

While some might say it's just semantics and I'm being a bit pedantic... I'm imagining Frank Sinatra singing that line.

I do think the distinction between humans harming the planet and harming ourselves always needs to be considered. A human's perspective of time doesn't even compare to planetary terms. Upon our inevitable extinction or exodus from Earth, a few million years of evolution and planetary rejuvenation would be the time equivalent of us talking a quick shower. Nothing we can do, save detonating the planet with a Death Star, will have any significant effect on Earth in a couple million years time.

Evolution as an amazing, thing. The animals we see today are of course simply the latest patch of what are perpetually evolving organisms. A Cheetah might look and be very different in another 10 thousand years, assuming it's still around.

I agree, the human population is arguably at a point of diminishing return, but that doesn't mean the solution simply lies with less births. Even if we could decrease the birth rate, it would require nothing short of Fascism (not the SJW kind, the real kind) to properly enforce, this will lead to a host of other problems and issues, it's simply not a practical solution . A tiny fraction of the planet is populated, there's no shortage of space either, we simply haven't figured out a way to live in certain places.

This is why I believe the solution lies in ingenuity and adaptation. 150yrs ago, the idea that data could be sent instantaneously, across the planet would've been considered nothing short of magic. Imagine what technology will exist in another 150yrs. In perfect world, over the next few centuries, humans will develop new ways to live in places which were previously not possible, they'll find new and sustainable ways to harness energy and create food and most importantly, humans will evolve to as a whole to strive for self-actualisation rather than the shiny trinkets we chase after today.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2019, 05:09:20 pm »
The last 150 years are proof of the exact opposite of what you claim we will become.  We are base beings living cruel lives pretending there's no harm in our ridiculous consumption. How will your kids do better under more difficult circumstances than you have been? Self-actualisation while your backyard is on fire? 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2019, 10:46:29 pm »
Life's been getting better for most people on earth. (Fact.) Technology is great. Makes our lives easier. More free time / longer life expectancy. Expect a good future. (For most.)

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2019, 01:43:43 am »
But to return to the topic of this thread:

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-45201725

I don't see that it is such a crisis.

The population is still increasing. If by 2065 the population has returned to the same level as in 1995, that is hardly a tragedy.

If anything this crowded country will be better for having fewer people.
Catch my drift?