Read 15435 times

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: South Korea birth rate plunges to record low
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2017, 11:02:32 pm »
The Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education said it will hire 105 elementary school teachers this year, a major drop from 846 in 2016.

Meanwhile, in Gwangju, Korea's sixth-largest city, only five people will be hired as elementary school teachers ― the lowest number ever ― down from 20 last year.

Over the past few years, the number has dropped sharply. In 2013, it was 350, decreasing to 300 in 2014, then to 125 in 2015.

The situation in other regions is not much different. For elementary school teaching jobs in Gyeonggi Province, 868 people will be hired, a steep decrease from 1,836 in 2016. In Jeju, the figure will be 15, down from 60.

Those numbers are actually kind of astonishing, particularly the ones from Seoul and Gwangju. Aaaand what's the entire graduating class of just 교대 this year? No amount of protest is going to change those facts.

I wonder if this means by the time my daughter is school age the 프리미엄 schools will be competing for her attendance~
Will they even be in business?

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:22 am »
The Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education said it will hire 105 elementary school teachers this year, a major drop from 846 in 2016.

Meanwhile, in Gwangju, Korea's sixth-largest city, only five people will be hired as elementary school teachers ― the lowest number ever ― down from 20 last year.

Over the past few years, the number has dropped sharply. In 2013, it was 350, decreasing to 300 in 2014, then to 125 in 2015.

The situation in other regions is not much different. For elementary school teaching jobs in Gyeonggi Province, 868 people will be hired, a steep decrease from 1,836 in 2016. In Jeju, the figure will be 15, down from 60.

Those numbers are actually kind of astonishing, particularly the ones from Seoul and Gwangju. Aaaand what's the entire graduating class of just 교대 this year? No amount of protest is going to change those facts.

I wonder if this means by the time my daughter is school age the 프리미엄 schools will be competing for her attendance~

There's going to be a hard car crash with reality for them soon. The education students were specifically promised more jobs in education by Moon as one of his key election pledges. With a birth rate of 1.24, the future looks bleak for them.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2019, 09:04:32 pm »
This is why you should be pro-immigration. The fact that almost no refugees were accepted in Korea nor in Japan is a stark warning against their racial purity doctrine. This process is also underway in Europe but thankfully countermanded with some immigration, although not enough yet to fulfil all the job vacancies available. I would be even okay with Europe becoming 50%+ muslim as long as there are enough immigrants coming to keep the economy going.

In the case of Korea, they would probably have to go down the route of robot labour as Japan is trying to do, because I do not expect them to change their worldview on race anytime soon. :/

Wait, is THAT why Northwhatshisface is in Korea? Among like-minded people but of the wrong colour? I'm so confused rn.   :angel:
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2019, 10:27:52 pm »
This is why you should be pro-immigration.

Agreed.

The fact that almost no refugees were accepted in Korea nor in Japan is a stark warning against their racial purity doctrine.

Right.

I would be even okay with Europe becoming 50%+ muslim as long as there are enough immigrants coming to keep the economy going.

Hold on. You're conflating two entirely different elements.

Do you understand the difference between "race" (your word) and religion?

When it comes to accepting immigrants, the first is irrelevant, the second is greatly significant.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:31:30 pm by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2019, 11:45:04 pm »
Well, in this case it would mean virtually the same as most EU immigration is from muslim areas and it is one of the main arguments being made against keeping our borders open, but yes, for the US it's naturally mainly South Americans (Catholics) I realise my error now. :P I'm just referring to my immigrant classes of whom all were muslims but 2 who were from Eritrea.

Now I am teaching Korean immigrants :) who have spent years here and still can't speak the language. I refer to them as Christians because they often bring it up in class claiming we aren't religious enough  just  as the refugee classes used to do when describing their difficulties in Europe but then referring to things as forbidden. Strangely enough the Koreans all have 2 or more children. Maybe the cleaner air is an attributive factor  in the bedroom?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:56:37 pm by SanderB »

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2019, 01:34:13 am »
All the fearmongering set aside, we're talking about low percentages and the only majority muslim places will be in a few large cities by 2100. Well, is that such a bad thing? We'd be long gone anyhow and I'm indeed not in church everyday so it sort of makes sense to me that very religious immigrants get to shape their own world wherever they are. Most migration is from white ethnic Europeans anyway afaik.

I'm not having any children so whoever does live in that difficult time should be free to pray to Allah with some Dutch windmills next to their mosques. Really, if we are dropping around 30%-40% in native population, we should be very glad to have that many willing to live and work here. If Europe would have been ''full'', I'd agree with the idea we should protect our identity but we're a dying continent, schools are having to close everywhere and if I can teach at a presbyterian or catholic school, why not then at an Islamic school in a muslim community? All the people that would care now are long dead by then and those who wish to remain secular can and again, have no children so that their school eventually must close down. It seems to me inevitable that the idea of Christian democracies is fading and if Koreans claim to be Christian and also rapidly declining then shouldn't they too, allow more African (muslim) immigration?

Korea's got a really low birthrate on this site .https://www.indexmundi.com/map/?t=0&v=25&r=as&l=en

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:55:33 am by SanderB »

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2019, 02:02:46 am »
Because Germany is a hotbed for anti-immigration views I took Germany as a good example but this goes for each country:

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2019, 04:53:52 am »
not increasing but at least replenishing with a 2.0 avg birthrate. We've sunken below 1,3 with only immigration compensating the worst. For our tiny country we would have had a horrible economy had it not been for the many migrant workers from Eastern Europe, to prevent us from losing a further 4 million people we would need to take in that many refugees or migrants. For Germany it's even worse, 50% I believe.
Will they be free? They will be living under terror and oppression, like the vast majority of people in the muslim world do today.

Nobody in the West cared till the refugees came. Who cares about  what they will do in the year 2100? We will all be drowned under water anyway.  :) Just make sure you have no children of your own.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:51:42 am by SanderB »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2019, 05:23:21 am »
You canít even replenish a population with a birth rate of 2.0

Needs to be 2.33 or higher to make up for things like mortality, disease, disability and so on.

In Koreaís case where people just arenít getting married or procreating, I guesstimate the average (currently married) couple might need 3-5 kids to replenish the population...which ainít happening anytime this decade and probably century.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2019, 07:22:42 am »
Are schools closing down in SK as well then because of the birth rate decline?

« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2019, 08:10:46 am »
Are schools closing down in SK as well then because of the birth rate decline?

Not as many as would be expected.  I've been here for a while, when I came there were 36-38 students per class.  Nowadays there are 25-29 at my schools.  Also, when I came there were 11 classes per grade, and now my first grade is down to six.   

In other words, each school is now responsible for fewer students, by about 50%, compared to my experience about ten years ago.  With that, there are fewer teachers.  It was just a year or two ago when Busan only hired 6 new teachers for the year. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2019, 08:11:54 am »
Yep.

Many schools have already shut down or merged

This phenomenon has already started to hit universities too.

The situation is bad...very bad.

The population of under-aged people in Seoul has dropped by about 50% in the last 20yrs.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2019, 08:48:14 am »
Saw this article recently - seems like a creative solution, for a little bit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/world/asia/south-korea-school-grandmothers.html

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2019, 08:56:11 am »

There's going to be a hard car crash with reality for them soon. The education students were specifically promised more jobs in education by Moon as one of his key election pledges. With a birth rate of 1.24, the future looks bleak for them.

If only they had enough grasp of an international language (English, French or Chinese for example) that would help them secure jobs outside Korea.

That, or ride the Korean wave and teach Korean to hallyu-obsessed teens and mothers around the world.

« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2019, 02:08:58 pm »
Koreans have a good way culturally of dealing with this problem. Women of a certain age who are single and have no children are looked down upon. In China they have a phrase "left over" which also does a good job of stigmatization.

I notice that there is something somewhat similar creeping into western culture with those women being called "cat lady" because their maternal instinct is wasted on a cat.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2019, 02:14:04 pm »
I notice that there is something somewhat similar creeping into western culture with those women being called "cat lady" because their maternal instinct is wasted on a cat.
I ... AM... CATMAN.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2019, 03:43:39 pm »
I think it is the right thing to do to not have any children and become cat people. And in that sense, considering libertarian principles and free will, let all the immigrants create their own comfort zone, as we had in Itaewon or the infamous hill. The idea of 'cultural identity' and European accomplishments is all bollocks as someone already has mentioned. We're a dying breed and if anything we could use some 'fresh' (of the boat) people and who cares if they create a huge area where only muslims live and work and pray? If you don't like it, just don't live there and stay in some white enclave grumbling at brown people all day like Northy.

Whether it is financial or practical or idealistically driven as in my case, birth rates should go further down and as such we should let immigrants willing to work in our countries, create their own areas or cultural enclaves. Perhaps this is digressing from the main topic but I do not see anything wrong with Korean immigrants setting up their own schools and churches and stores, just as Americans have done in Korea. And as such, anyone should be free to set up their own communities as they see fit and if it happens to be an ultra orthodox religious one... well, I am not too happy with the Dutch Pennsylvania enclave either but I don't want them to close down their churches, now do I? So why should I have to worry about muslims wanting to do the same? Shouldn't they also be free to choose their own cultural (orthodox) religious lifestyles?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:02:53 pm by SanderB »

« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2019, 04:00:27 pm »
I think it is the right thing to do to not have any children and become cat people. And in that sense, considering libertarian principles and free will, let all the immigrants create their own comfort zone, as we had in Itaewon or the infamous hill. The idea of 'cultural identity' and European accomplishments is all bollocks as someone already has mentioned. We're a dying breed and if anything we could use some 'fresh' (of the boat) people and who cares if they create a huge area where only muslims live and work and pray? If you don't like it, just don't live there and stay in some white enclave grumbling at brown people all day like Northy.

Whether it is financial or practical or idealistically as in my case, birth rates should go further down and as such we should let immigrants willing to work in our countries create their own areas or cultural enclaves. Perhaps this is digressing from the main topic but I do not see anything wrong with Korean immigrants setting up their own schools and churches and stores, just as Americans have done in Korea. And as such, anyone should be free to set up their own communities as they see fit and if that happens to be an ultra orthodox religious one... well, I am not too happy with the Dutch Pennsylvania enclave either but I don't want them to close down their churches, now do I? So why should I care about muslim immigration? Shouldn't they also be free to choose their cultural orthodox religious lifestyles?

You said before on here recently that you're not really bothered that the world will be under water once you've left it, so your general views on what the future should be like aren't exactly compelling.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2019, 04:18:49 pm »
That made me laugh.  ;D ;D ;D

Yes, but isn't it true? Why trouble yourself with this protecting the Judeo-Christian Western identity if:

1) You are long gone by then anyways.
2) Russia will burn the North Pole to a crisp and create a Siberian Hawaii. 
3) Your house is flooded all the time.
4) Gouda cheese costs 10.000 euros per kilo.

All these demographic predictions about dropping birth rates and migration stats leave out one minor detail and that is: who would want to be still alive in 2100? Let us just focus on filling up these long term job vacancies which have become a real detriment to our economy and burn the f*** out of every last drop of oil and gas, because I need my yearly 11.000 miles flight to get my talkkalbi fix in my favorite chicken place in Seoul.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:26:25 pm by SanderB »

« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2019, 04:48:08 pm »
Yes, but isn't it true? Why trouble yourself with this protecting the Judeo-Christian Western identity if:

1) You are long gone by then anyways.
2) Russia will burn the North Pole to a crisp and create a Siberian Hawaii. 
3) Your house is flooded all the time.
4) Gouda cheese costs 10.000 euros per kilo.

You forgot to add. if you think Western civilization is no different or better than any other and was anyway solely acquired though the oppression of others. Which is the way a lot of young people seem to think nowadays.

I assume you're being flippant by ignoring humans' basic responsibility to pass good things on to the next generation.