Read 15422 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: South Korea birth rate plunges to record low
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2019, 05:36:56 am »
It's the glyphosate and neo-nicotinoids in Roundup which was found in a 200 m. radius from the sources in house dust, which previously had been believed to travel only 1 m. from its source, so anyone living near farms (almost everybody) is affected.

But this isn't 'news', this report is just one of the final stages of the corporate denial cycle--> ridicule-deny-ask for more research- claim results are inconclusive-demand more research-point at economic importance of industry/jobs-admit-ask for solutions-go to court.
The flower industry is already saying they can't produce without these pesticides even though entire eco systems are collapsing around these farms.

And we teachers were already fully aware of this, I've worked at a school which was in a large farming community and we had extraordinary amounts (30%)of students with learning disabilities and autism.

Still waiting on the source....

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2019, 07:55:03 am »
I get that Roundup could, and likely is, causing birth defects, but can you explain what possible gene in genetically modified corn would be causing birth defects? Is there some chemical/genetic property that has been added to the crop which is linked to a known organic carcinogen ala nicotine in tobacco?
It's not always that simple. There are a lot of indirect pathways that GMOs take that can cause damage to people. The most common is being given a resistance to a specific type of herbicide which then allows the farmer to spray crap tonnes of it on the fields. The product we eat is then heavily laden with the herbicide, which can cause us harm.

« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2019, 10:00:15 am »
Okay, I see a lot on Roundup and other pesticides. I don't see anything on the DNA of the crops themselves being the primary cause of birth defects.

Hand-sanitizers lead to stronger germs by building up resistance in bacteria. That does not make the sanitizers themselves vectors for disease.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2019, 12:08:00 pm »
Okay, I see a lot on Roundup and other pesticides. I don't see anything on the DNA of the crops themselves being the primary cause of birth defects.

Hand-sanitizers lead to stronger germs by building up resistance in bacteria. That does not make the sanitizers themselves vectors for disease.

I feel that there is a significant percentage of the unwashed masses that doesn't really understand the reasons why some scientists are leery of GMO proliferation. Many of them listen to the explanations, and then reduce those reasons to something a little bit easier to chant while they wave their placards. Unfortunately, this means that occasionally their worries aren't 100% correct. This sounds like one of those occasions. "The GMO plants are resistant to round up, therefore more roundup is used, therefore more people get sick" turns into "Toxic roundup GMOs make people sick."

Soon anti-vaxxers are gonna be screaming about GMOs as well: potatoes, bananas and tomatoes are being tampered with to become possible edible vaccines for diseases such as HIV, rubella, rabies, and norovirus. Poor chumps are gonna have to bring 2 placards!

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2019, 06:01:17 pm »
Hold your horses gents, we're talking about decades long Dutch and French research issued by the govt. here, none of the outrage and divisiveness here yet, thank god. It's all rather sedate and stuffy, none of 'em darn placards.  Although some concerns have been raised about conflicting research paid for by Bayer chem. It's just ordinary folks living around farms (80%) with kids getting frustrated by the farmers spraying massive amounts of EU banned products onto flowers in which hours later happy tourists put their noses in.

The Roundup controversy for veg. and gardens, we all knew about that long before the first comprehensive EU report came out in 2011. Stuff has been dying all around us and only the French took measures against Roundup because rats were dying in their govt. issued trials but we just stood by and accepted the FDA's approval based on some questionable claims and laughed at the nutters screaming foul... yes, what's new about that?

Sources? maybe later. Its from the Govt. funded 'PBS' equivalent doc series Zembla.https://zembla.bnnvara.nl/nieuws/local-residents-of-bulb-fields-in-the-netherlands-suffer-greater-exposure-to-pesticides

2 sec. summary for people in a hurry: Scientists advising that we should stop spraying these pesticides (glypho.- neo-nico.) immediately. But they said the same 10 years ago and pesticide use has only increased further.  :P so, what's the use really? Best to have no kids and let the Russians fark us up the bumhole.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:54:38 pm by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2019, 06:37:10 pm »
Hold your horses gent... none of 'em darn placards.
Are you trying to tell us that we cant wave around placards and scream at bystanders?  >:(
Getouttahere.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2019, 06:47:41 pm »
 ;D

wow is that real footage? oh my word thats funny im still lol :azn:!
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2019, 10:00:21 pm »
;D

wow is that real footage? oh my word thats funny im still lol :azn:!
I doubt Holly thought so at the time.

« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2019, 06:53:53 am »
Yeah, but some of the anti-GMO stuff can veer into anti-vaxxer chemtrails territory. I mean I get reasonable concern over GMOs leading to increased used of pesticides and those kinds of problems and agree with them.

It's when people start getting into "mutant food" territory that it breaks down a little.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2019, 05:42:55 pm »
Quote from: macteacher
most of the adult men I talk to here, seem to think that women have it made

That perception stems from the fact that  women have traditionally not had to work once they get married. Just sit at home being supported by their husband.

It doesn't ocurr to them that actually a) most women prefer to work and have their own lives b) want a degree of independence, and c) resent being "bought" by a salaryman for a life of indentured servitude.

I really wonder what will be the thing that will help increase birthrate here.

They need to eradicate sexism and ageism from the workforce to create a properly balanced social structure. As things stand, only people aged 25-45 are welcome in the labour pool. That means if you want to raise a family, you have only a limited window in which to hurry it through. You can't expect support from your parents (rather you have to support them, because they'll be unemployed). Of course mothers are either expelled from work or paid much less than males, so that means they can't contribute financially to the process.

Laughable "policy" that these Korean political wonks have created...provide some cash?

Reminds me of the "free afternoons" that public schools hand out occasionally, where all the teachers can go home and are supposed to spend that time getting down to it and making babies. Condescending.
Catch my drift?