Read 6484 times

Boss Wants Me to Teach on Desk Warming Days
« on: July 21, 2017, 02:13:45 pm »
I'm on a GEPIK contract,  and my boss was looking at the schedule for my two-week summer camp. My boss saw that there were a lot of days where I just desk warm over the summer, so the principal tried to push my co-teachers to make more English programs for the rest of my desk warming days. We got away without adding new classes over the summer because my boss mentioned it too late.  But my co-teacher told me that I should expect to teach more classes than previous years over the winter.

Is there anything in the contract my co-teachers can point to, so it stays at two weeks?

Re: Boss Wants Me to Teach on Desk Warming Days
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 02:21:47 pm »
I'm on a GEPIK contract,  and my boss was looking at the schedule for my two-week summer camp. My boss saw that there were a lot of days where I just desk warm over the summer, so the principal tried to push my co-teachers to make more English programs for the rest of my desk warming days. We got away without adding new classes over the summer because my boss mentioned it too late.  But my co-teacher told me that I should expect to teach more classes than previous years over the winter.

Is there anything in the contract my co-teachers can point to, so it stays at two weeks?

I am pretty sure that you're technically the only stipulations are that: 1. You get a certain number of vacation days (I would make these early and stick to them, as it might get you out of doing so many classes, because of the schedule). 2. You have a certain number of max hours to teach, over which they must pay you overtime. 3. You have a certain time frame of hours in which to teach within, outside of those it is mandatory overtime. Unfortunately, desk-warming hours can instead be teaching hours as long as it is still within the other limits. Sounds like you need to just find way to discourage it. Likely, and hopefully, they will forget about it.

• gir0002
  • Adventurer

• March 07, 2016, 08:22:29 am
    • 안성
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 02:36:34 pm »
Nope. They have the right to do that technically. We're supposed to be working within our school hours Monday - Friday all year unless we take any vacation days off. We have a maximum amount of classes in our contract and that's it. The only reason we desk warm is because there's nothing else for us to do so technically the school has the right to give you something to do. I guess you can tell them that you need the time to prepare for the next semester.
My school gives me one class a day during summer because they don't want me to just desk warm all day. It was annoying for me at first but I got used to it.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 02:39:46 pm »
What lifeisgood said. Not sure about GEPIK, but the education offices don't like deskwarming days and highly encourage schools to make use of their EPIK teachers for any day that isn't part of their vacation days.

Practically speaking, this is not normally possible for most schools to enact due to scheduling difficulties and students having their own vacations. What CAN happen, though, is schools might loan you out to other schools to conduct camps at different locations. As long as they don't exceed your contractual teaching hours, they're allowed to do that, as far as I know.

Most schools just accept the fact that deskwarming days are not only unavoidable in many cases, but that they can also be useful for prepping lessons for the following school semester. You'll always get that one VP or P who'll think otherwise, though.

• stan rogers
  • Expert Waygook

• August 03, 2015, 04:16:11 am
    • Jeju Island
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »

I don't understand you. You read the contract and agreed to the terms of work and now you are unhappy that your boss wants you to work. Your attitude sounds like you think it's ok to weasel out of holding up your end of the contract. What the heck is wrong with your boss expecting you to work? It's called a job, not welfare.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 08:46:06 pm »
the way i always interpreted the contract was, "any day that is not a red day, weekend, or vacation day is a teaching day."

i always preferred teaching to deskwarming anyway,
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:57:32 pm »
As long as you are under your 22 hours a week, they can ask you to teach any day you are expected to be at school (not red days or agreed upon vacation days). If you go over the 22, you can expect overtime, but they probably will keep it under.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 02:29:05 pm »
Thanks for the information everybody. I appreciate it. I have never taught more than two weeks for a camp, so this will be my first time doing so.

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 02:41:53 pm »
Thanks for the information everybody. I appreciate it. I have never taught more than two weeks for a camp, so this will be my first time doing so.

I do not have a single day of desk warming, every day apart from my actual vacation is a day that i will be doing camp. This is a first for me though. Not sure if it will be better than doing desk warming, but at least times won't stop between now and my real vacation, I mean let's face it some desk warming days are the longest days of our lives!!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 07:30:37 am »
Last winter I had a month long winter camp.  Yeah it was all of January. It was even too much from the Korean staff and afterschool teachers that they said they were going to protest it for next year.  I hated it too but I just came in and did my job because I knew I was going to get all of February off to travel so got to take the good with the bad I suppose.  It got so bad for the afterschool teacher (because she had to deal with the kids more hours than I did) that she told me to stop teaching and start showing movies instead.  I told her I'm not doing that till the last week of winter camp.  My co-worker (not co-teacher, who was on extended vacation) said it would be better I just show movies because they couldn't stand when I had to stop my class and ask them to help me discipline them.  Mind you I wasn't even "teaching" per say. I was doing games and/or arts and crafts and yet I still had some kids that found ways to make the other kids feel miserable.  So OP if you feel your camps might be going on for too long believe me the staff even hates it too...especially if some of their colleagues are on extended vacation. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:32:08 am by Piggydee »

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 07:49:44 am »
I mean if you have to teach....you have to teach.

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• August 11, 2013, 09:01:22 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 09:27:01 am »
You could try convincing them that those deskwarming days are prep days for you, that you spend that time doing something related to bettering your teaching. But, that could give you more work too, depending. And if winter is your last semester at that school...

You could try sandwiching some or all of your deskwarming days between the end of the 2nd semester and the beginning of camp and say you'll use those days to prepare for camp.

• reifoo87
  • Veteran

• June 04, 2013, 02:10:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 12:01:01 pm »
I would prefer to work! Deskwarming is the worst! Is it just me who finds that the day crawls while deskwarming? Even if I am free to read or browse the interwebs.....

• sisususi
  • Adventurer

• January 26, 2016, 06:39:12 am
    • Oklahoma City, OK
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 12:49:05 pm »
Leave it to waygook to make you feel guilty about wanting your deskwarming days. Our Korean counterparts get plenty of time to relax, recharge their batteries, plan for the upcoming semester, etc. I think you have every right to be upset that your school, on the whim of your principal, has decided to make you teach through winter vacation. I can't imagine that any teachers in the West would accept teaching 48 weeks out of the year!

That being said, it doesn't seem there is anything in our contract expressly forbidding that. You should reach out to your regional coordinator, they might be able to give you better advice than the Stockholm Syndrome sycophants  on here.

• reifoo87
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 01:05:10 pm »
Leave it to waygook to make you feel guilty about wanting your deskwarming days. Our Korean counterparts get plenty of time to relax, recharge their batteries, plan for the upcoming semester, etc. I think you have every right to be upset that your school, on the whim of your principal, has decided to make you teach through winter vacation. I can't imagine that any teachers in the West would accept teaching 48 weeks out of the year!

That being said, it doesn't seem there is anything in our contract expressly forbidding that. You should reach out to your regional coordinator, they might be able to give you better advice than the Stockholm Syndrome sycophants  on here.

Just my experience but in GEPIK or EPIK, you get plenty of time to relax and prep. Teaching hours are only set at 22 per week and you are at school for a total of 40 hours per week.... That being said, the late change of plans is frustrating in public schools.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:08:49 pm by reifoo87 »

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 01:23:08 pm »

Just my experience but in GEPIK or EPIK, you get plenty of time to relax and prep. Teaching hours are only set at 22 per week and you are at school for a total of 40 hours per week.... That being said, the late change of plans is frustrating in public schools.

I agree with you this is shitty and we shouldnt make people feel bad.

but also - there is really little point speaking to the coordinator.  If they are nice you might get an "Awwww" out of them but if the school is doing everything within the contract then they cant and wont do anything. 

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 11:39:48 pm »
Sadly, my school this year is doing renovations so no camps and most of this week, we have to stay away, due to the gutting of asbestos from the ceilings.  So, unofficial mini holiday.  Then, Friday back to school and next week to desk warm, and then out for a week and a half of vacation and then back to work.  But, in past years, I did a camp a week at each school I was working at.  Many let me leave when I was done.  But depends on the school. 

I do remember years ago being in a rural area and the local ed office wanted to keep us busy.  We didn't belong to the schools but to them.  During the vacation, they used up all our days making us go around the whole area to do English camps at the middle and elementary schools in the place.  Some were far away and we had to travel by bus to get to some of these rural places.  Kind of annoying, but some days were at bigger schools in the main area that were close to home.  They let us go when we were done though.  No sitting around in the afternoons.  Pros and cons, I guess. 

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 07:49:36 am »
sisususi I agree with you!  I don't know I guess because my first co-teacher at public school was telling me about transferring to my new public school that she said "oh you're going to have to do a lot more work than you do now," I took that as a subtle jab at my work ethic at that school.  And even at my current school, while I do have to work more than my first public school (ex. first public, after lunch I had no classes, now I have 2 to three classes lined up after lunch  :-[ )  With that being said, I do manage to have at least 2 hours of down time with 1 hour of prepping for classes.

Seriously, let me know if you are one of those teachers that every day you use your 3 or 4 hours of down time devoted entirely to lesson planning.  I can tell you I'm thinking of one right now that has awesome, well thought out projects, with extreme detail and intricacy that I know must take her 2 hours + to make.  And seriously why work so hard if all your work can be undermined by students who don't care, a school that might cut you due to budget or other teachers who think you aren't that important.  Seriously I don't put too much of my heart into this job, especially in the past when my work was deemed NOT satisfactory enough.   

Once again, agreeing with sisusussi's point about the Korean staff.  They get PLENTY OF DOWN TIME DURING THE SCHOOL DAY!  IF THEY ARE NOT ON 11ST.COM shopping, they are playing guitar, table tennis, volleyball (if your school has a court), out smoking, or leaving school early on "personal business trips."   So sorry if I sounded like I was dog piling on with the 'YOU SHOULD WORK' people but for me I know what it's like to really be "worked" here in Korea and so the request my job ask of me are fine but when it starts giving me the hakwon feels (write student comments, check all books for completion (which I do anyways because it was beaten into me) and grade test on a curve) THEN THAT'S WHEN I WILL KINDLY put my foot down, break out my contract and say "I'm only suppose to teach 22 hours so this extra stuff is a NO!"   

P.S. I have even been told by my Korean co-workers that they rather be at public school too rather than hakwon, they have friends that work at hakwons and even they know how much it sucks! 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:55:14 am by Piggydee »

• reifoo87
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 07:51:16 am »
Sadly, my school this year is doing renovations so no camps and most of this week, we have to stay away, due to the gutting of asbestos from the ceilings.  So, unofficial mini holiday.  Then, Friday back to school and next week to desk warm, and then out for a week and a half of vacation and then back to work.  But, in past years, I did a camp a week at each school I was working at.  Many let me leave when I was done.  But depends on the school. 

I do remember years ago being in a rural area and the local ed office wanted to keep us busy.  We didn't belong to the schools but to them.  During the vacation, they used up all our days making us go around the whole area to do English camps at the middle and elementary schools in the place.  Some were far away and we had to travel by bus to get to some of these rural places.  Kind of annoying, but some days were at bigger schools in the main area that were close to home.  They let us go when we were done though.  No sitting around in the afternoons.  Pros and cons, I guess.

Oh my school is doing the same, so I was just informed that I get 20 days off as the water at my school will be shut off during the vacation due to the renovations. off-topic, but is it actually for the removal of asbestos?  :huh: :huh: :huh: Feel like I sshould ask my school now....

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• August 11, 2013, 09:01:22 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 08:32:25 am »

Once again, agreeing with sisusussi's point about the Korean staff.  They get PLENTY OF DOWN TIME DURING THE SCHOOL DAY!  IF THEY ARE NOT ON 11ST.COM shopping, they are playing guitar, table tennis, volleyball (if your school has a court), out smoking, or leaving school early on "personal business trips."   So sorry if I sounded like I was dog piling on with the 'YOU SHOULD WORK' people but for me I know what it's like to really be "worked" here in Korea and so the request my job ask of me are fine but when it starts giving me the hakwon feels (write student comments, check all books for completion (which I do anyways because it was beaten into me) and grade test on a curve) THEN THAT'S WHEN I WILL KINDLY put my foot down, break out my contract and say "I'm only supposed to teach 22 hours so this extra stuff is a NO!"   

Yeah, sometimes schools can start to pile on the extra work, often as a way to "fully utilize the GET". That's when it's really important to show them that your non-teaching hours are already full of things important to making your teaching hours more efficient (whether that means recharging, or lesson planning).

I kind of do that by talking with my ct about the camp planning/prepping I've been doing in non-teaching hours. I like camp planning for some reason, kind of feels like I'm planning a party with English lessons thrown in, and my ct can see that I'm "working" and I can more easily turn down excess work. It might be more difficult if it's your first year at a school, however. I know I felt a lot more on guard and afraid to say no my first year. Plus, my ct sees that camp planning/prepping is real work, because of how many students we've had sign-up for camp since I took on the planning. Basically, make your value known and show them what goes into your current level of work.   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:53:43 am by Embarr »