Read 15672 times

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: What are some things you happily overpaid for.
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2017, 12:30:59 pm »
Just spent about $200 on the first 16 volumes of Berserk, but to be fair that's about how much I'd have to spend on them in America anyway.
New or used? That isn't that bad a price really. Back home most places would be asking anything from 15$-30$ per book.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• 미국인병
  • Veteran

• November 25, 2016, 08:41:27 am
    • 울산
    more
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2017, 01:16:35 pm »
Just spent about $200 on the first 16 volumes of Berserk, but to be fair that's about how much I'd have to spend on them in America anyway.
New or used? That isn't that bad a price really. Back home most places would be asking anything from 15$-30$ per book.

New! Or at least so I think. Got them from Whatthebook and haven't picked them up yet -- but I'm pretty sure they'll be new (it's not indicated on their site).

And yeah, their site actually has each one for $13.49 a pop! I was delighted to see that. But to be fair, I opted to travel to Seoul to get them at the same time I was getting a tattoo, but I broke my ankle the week before, so after I got the tattoo I just wanted to get back so I could stop hobbling around Seoul like a soju-filled ajjeossi. So my eventual additional trip up their will make them somewhat steeper in price.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:19:58 pm by 미국인병 »

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• September 22, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2017, 05:52:36 pm »
Well, big shout out to Apple...we all pay over the odds for this product but it's worth it.

Still got a Mac from 4 years ago and still in working condition. Yes, Apple make stuff that lasts.  Love it!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2017, 06:08:22 pm »
Well, big shout out to Apple...we all pay over the odds for this product but it's worth it.

Still got a Mac from 4 years ago and still in working condition. Yes, Apple make stuff that lasts.  Love it!

I scrapped a 2011 MacBook Air a couple months ago - apparently it had water damage.

My son uses an iPhone 4 as a music player.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:37:58 pm by JNM »

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2017, 09:22:40 pm »
Cottage Cheese!  7,000 #$% won for one tiny tub of it...  but it was very tasty. :P

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2017, 09:25:33 pm »

I scrapped a 2001 MacBook Air a couple months ago - apparently it had water damage.

Granted some Apple products don't cut the mustard...never been a big fan of the Air.  Try the Macbook Pro..last you for ages.  Just don't like the idea of a dongle life though.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2017, 11:42:57 pm »

I scrapped a *2011* MacBook Air a couple months ago - apparently it had water damage.

Granted some Apple products don't cut the mustard...never been a big fan of the Air.  Try the Macbook Pro..last you for ages.  Just don't like the idea of a dongle life though.

6 years on a laptop is plenty!

We replaced it with a MacBook Pro.  (Paid lots, but is worth it)

We have an OWC Thunderbolt 3 hub for home use (paid lots, but worth it) and a usb3/hdmi dongle for the road.

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2017, 07:51:14 am »
I have a 5 year old Toshiba that's never had a single problem. ever. compared to a friend of mine who has a Crapbook Pro that seems to have spent more time at the Apple repair store than in his home.

buy a quality laptop brand and just maintain it decently and they will last as long if not longer than MacBooks.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2017, 08:11:14 am »
I have a 5 year old Toshiba that's never had a single problem. ever. compared to a friend of mine who has a Crapbook Pro that seems to have spent more time at the Apple repair store than in his home.

buy a quality laptop brand and just maintain it decently and they will last as long if not longer than MacBooks.

Toshiba has a reputation for solid units.

The issue is "just maintain it decently" means different things to different people. Also, a "problem" is also subjective. e.g. If you are comfortable swapping out a battery, it is not a problem.

PS: My 2006 MacMini is still on 24/7 as my entertainment hub. YMMV

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2017, 09:43:28 am »

I scrapped a *2011* MacBook Air a couple months ago - apparently it had water damage.

We have an OWC Thunderbolt 3 hub for home use (paid lots, but worth it) and a usb3/hdmi dongle for the road.
i absolutely love my 2013 macbook pro. i was eagerly looking forward to the new macbook pros, but it seems they've left the insides more or less the same, removed all of the useful ports, put a wanky touchbar on it, and increased the price!

so disappointed.

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2017, 07:52:32 pm »

Yes, the no ports thing was totally a face palm moment..oh my gosh!

i absolutely love my 2013 macbook pro. i was eagerly looking forward to the new macbook pros, but it seems they've left the insides more or less the same, removed all of the useful ports, put a wanky touchbar on it, and increased the price!

so disappointed.

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2017, 06:57:52 pm »
Dark beer (a rare find for me)

My PC

Concert tickets to SNSD's Phantasia concert.

How much was your PC?

A pretty penny would be putting it lightly. It was about $7k if I remember correctly.

How did you manage to spend $7k on a PC?

By trying to future-proof it as best I could with what was available at the time, without getting TOO crazy. :laugh:

$7K is not too crazy? Yikes  :P

By "TOO crazy" I meant there were still upgrades available that I chose not to purchase.

I mean truly-future proof it (for 10+ years most likely). I have the choice to trade in current parts for upgrades for 3 years. I went through the Origin site (the US one, not the Korean one, since the Korean site had a lot fewer choices for higher prices) and chose every major component of the PC. I won't bore you with specifics unless you are truly interested. I should still have pictures of the build list somewhere.

They built it, overclocked it, and shipped it in a wooden crate with 2 28in. 4k monitors. The original 7k price tag included shipping to my US home, but not to Korea, which was a whole other beast altogether, but my parents helped me with that as a birthday/Christmas gift.

I guess it makes up for not taking any major vacations for the past 4.5 years. That said I plan on getting to Japan and Vietnam in the near future. Plus from what I've heard about Bitcoin Gold, if it holds up after release, I should be able to start mining it with this rig. Lastly, I had not had a desktop for over 10 years, and I really wanted to make the switch, although my laptops served me very well!

Anyways I know I could have gotten a nice rig online for a much more reasonable price tag, but that's not what this thread is about right?  ;D

Ahh I see. But actually yes, I'm interested in your set-up~ What are you packing?

https://imgur.com/a/Hvvcy

I included a few pictures of the rig 'cause why not. Shopping list/specs are at the bottom. Not the most detailed, but I can't seem to find the original build sheet. Hope it suffices!
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2017, 08:11:42 am »
https://imgur.com/a/Hvvcy

I included a few pictures of the rig 'cause why not. Shopping list/specs are at the bottom. Not the most detailed, but I can't seem to find the original build sheet. Hope it suffices!

Ok yeah.. This thing is a beast! I wonder if someday I'll own a PC as powerful as this (as in top of the spectrum)
Bwaa

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2017, 03:28:41 pm »
Axe shower gel

• sweetkat
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2018, 06:02:07 pm »
having my three cats shipped to China, to live with me.

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2018, 10:13:53 am »
a block of velvetta cheese and nyquil.  set me back 40,000 won about 8 years ago

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2018, 03:00:43 pm »
Axe shower gel

Same... for my 9 year old son.

That product seams to be popular with the pre-teen set, although the marketing seemed to be targeting a bit older.

• bloome
  • Newgookin

• March 06, 2017, 11:59:28 am
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2018, 03:18:38 pm »
15,000 won maple syrup for Christmas morning french toast

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2018, 04:41:59 pm »
15,000 won maple syrup for Christmas morning french toast

syrup is expensive in korea.   :cry:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2018, 05:32:06 pm »
syrup is expensive in korea.   :cry:

싫업~~~~~~~~
The joys of fauxtherhood