Read 5938 times

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
Re: Using Vacation Days for School's Birthday??!?
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 06:51:28 pm »
I've been here six years and have never heard of anyone having to use a 'vacation day' for the school's birthday.

Call their bluff and say - if you have to, you will come in and 'desk warm'. There's 99.9% chance the school will be completely deserted and locked... and they willl back down.

P.S. My school's birthday is on a Saturday this year... I feel 'ripped off'.  :'(
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• amandas
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2011, 12:42:15 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 07:13:57 pm »
I wont be in and I'll be using a sick day.  My co-teacher recommends that I "plan on being sick in advance" just so that we can get all the paperwork in order.  She says that there is no reason why we have to use vacation days when we have so many sick days under our belts. 

• jcarter30
  • Waygookin

• December 01, 2009, 07:35:36 am
    • Pyeongtaek
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 07:33:05 pm »
    My school tried this on me last year and seeing that it was my fourth year in a public school I ask why the sudden change. I never did get a straight answer as to why they suddenly had this change is this policy, but never the less I just told them that they can either take one of my sick day or that they can find someone to come in open the doors and babysit me that day. They did come back to me later that day and the final result was I ended up having to do home study, needless to say I was happy with the end result and I don't know why they just did not decide that at first it would have saved so much time.
    The good thing this year about my school birthday this year is that it falls on a Monday and that Monday is the 9th of May and seeing that the 10th of May id Buddha birthday we also have it off, so that gives me a four day weekend, but it even get better. May 4th is our schools field day then May 5th is Children day which we have off and my principal decided to take an extra day and close the school on May 6th so I get a six day Holiday weekend in which I planing on taking advantage of and heading out of here and going to a beach somewhere.  Happy day finally something work out right.....

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 07:39:51 pm »
I would be very angry if I had to use a vacation day.

The 20 days works out perfectly for 4 whole weeks (2 weeks per vacation).  Taking off one also removes the ability to extend into the weekend.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 07:57:17 pm »
I wont be in and I'll be using a sick day.  My co-teacher recommends that I "plan on being sick in advance" just so that we can get all the paperwork in order.  She says that there is no reason why we have to use vacation days when we have so many sick days under our belts.

Don't use your sick leave, perhaps you need it later. Just be firm and say you will come in that day, I am 100% sure they will back down in the end.

This whole episode sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• ktown
  • Explorer

• February 08, 2010, 08:16:05 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 02:26:15 pm »
I'm having the same issue right now at my school. I've been here for 2 years with the same Vice Principal, and for whatever reason this year she has decided to question the school birthday as a holiday.  She's now making my co-teacher go through the entire contract and call all the main offices to find out if they have to pay me. 

I tried to tell them I would rather come into work, but they are to focused on getting to the bottom of this issue.

I'm not sure how they are going to resolve it. But this is not the first time this year my Vice Principal has just decided to question my holidays/sick leave.

I was also told to leave early several times after exams by my supervisor - I asked if it was ok, and she said yes, I have permission. After the fact my vice principal decided to question the leave and ended up deducting it from my pay.  If I had known, I wouldn't have left early!

Since then I feel like it's ALWAYS best to say that you would rather come into work and desk warm. That way, if they dont want you there, they can let you leave without signing the "attendance report".  But I've also got a stack of DVDs and pillow in my desk drawer... ready just in case I have to stay.