Read 2637 times

• luke
  • Waygookin

• May 30, 2010, 11:41:22 am
    • Mokpo
Working without visa
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:32:54 pm »
A recruiter is telling my cousin to come to Korea and work before he has  his documents and that the school will pay for a visa run for when he gets them sorted.

That's dodgy as hell, right?

Re: Working without visa
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:49:12 pm »
Yes

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:46:02 am »
It's not entirely unheard of but it's definitely a red flag. Everything might be fine but I'd do some research on the school and try to contact some current teachers.

• mrc45
  • Super Waygook

• April 19, 2015, 12:50:26 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 10:31:56 am »
The hagwon I first worked at didn't do this with me, but for some reason did it with the two foreign teachers who arrived a month before me. This was years ago, but if I recall correctly, the school was desperate for teachers and didn't want to wait to go through the whole process of being approved for the visas. Even if the school isn't planning anything shady, like running a teacher through a "test month" before actually sponsoring a visa as suggested by Dave Stepz, you should never trust a school that isn't following the law or seems desperate. In my first hagwon's case, it was on its last legs when I arrived and shut down a few months after I started.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:36:11 am by mrc45 »

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:49:05 pm »
it's illegal to work without a visa.  yeah people have done it before and haven't been caught but just let your cousin know he will be taking a chance.  just remember that the recruiter and the school aren't going to help him out if he gets in trouble.  they'll just find someone else if they need to

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 03:48:20 pm »
Used to be an extremely common practice.  I think it's done less these days.  Is the school asking him to pay for his own ticket over and then they spring for the visa run only?  No, thanks.  If they're paying for both tickets I'd be a bit more assured.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 06:31:38 pm »
I have a job offer and they want me to sign the contract now but I won't start working until September. I do not have my visa now and unsure if I can get it by September. I feel that I should not sign anything until I get my visa/ARC in my hands. What if I don't get my visa by September? I definitely won't work without my visa/ARC but can the company force me to pay a penalty for not working?

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:55 pm »
I have a job offer and they want me to sign the contract now but I won't start working until September. I do not have my visa now and unsure if I can get it by September. I feel that I should not sign anything until I get my visa/ARC in my hands. What if I don't get my visa by September? I definitely won't work without my visa/ARC but can the company force me to pay a penalty for not working?

What has made you think you won't have your visa by September?

Have you submitted any documents to the school? Once they have your criminal background check and apostilled degree they can apply for your visa issuance number which can take about a week to process. Then you'll apply for your visa in at your home consulate which can take 1-2 weeks. More than plenty of time until a September start.

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 07:57:33 am »

What has made you think you won't have your visa by September?

Have you submitted any documents to the school? Once they have your criminal background check and apostilled degree they can apply for your visa issuance number which can take about a week to process. Then you'll apply for your visa in at your home consulate which can take 1-2 weeks. More than plenty of time until a September start.
Yeah it took me under a month to get all my documents together and get my visa. You'll be fine.

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 09:10:32 pm »
A recruiter is telling my cousin to come to Korea and work before he has  his documents and that the school will pay for a visa run for when he gets them sorted.

It's not only dodgy it's very illegal. One can only imagine where else this place cuts corners and skirts the law. I'd avoid like the plague.

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:15 am »

I'm confused... are you not applying for a visa that requires your work to sponsor you? Because if you are your company is going to want the signed contract along with your other documents ASAP so they can apply for your issuance number. Once you get your visa issuance number you then apply at the Korean consulate near you. It takes a month at the most to get all of this done.

You will start work without your ARC, when you first arrive everyone works without the ARC, which is perfectly legal as long as you've applied for it with in a month of arriving. Your company isn't going to penalize you if you don't get your visa on time, as long as you give them your documents (including signed contract) in time so they can start the process for you.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 11:43:54 am »

As someone else said, more than dodgy as hell. Illegal and possible repercussions of fines and/or being told to leave the country or else face deportation if found out.

Working without a visa soon after several teachers were kicked out because they worked with the wrong visa is such a bad idea. At least those people had some kind of permission to work, even though it was the wrong kind.

Honestly if I was your cousin I would drop that recruiter, because they want me to do something illegal, and not accept a school that would want me to do anything they should know is illegal as well. Think of this as the first big warning sign of possible horrors to come if they accept this job and continue to work with this recruiter.

If they are reputable it wouldn't be hard for them to find a teacher in the country to start right away. They are looking for someone who doesn't know any better.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:45:51 am by traversing »