Read 3691 times

Some waygooks going grey. Here's some info...
« on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:00 pm »
Here's some natural health info.  I don't know if it works.  Thinning hair or grey hair.

http://www.hairbuddha.net/amla-the-superfood-for-hair/

https://wellnessmama.com/35706/castor-oil-hair/

Not sure how much this works.  Just some research I passed on. 

Ordered some crap from I herb.  We'll see what happens.  I have a few (though I'm mostly still dark hair). 

Re: Some waygooks going grey. Here's some info...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:26:14 am »
I think I have reached the point where I have to say that I am mostly grey. My gf has me eating black sesame powder which she claims will slow or even reverse the inevitable greyness. I suppose it's some kind of ancient Chinese secret. Sesame powder and a bottle of hair dye will fix it right up.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:22:50 am »
I don't need these products.  I'm balding and shave my head regularly.     :afro:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:26:14 am by wanderingskald »

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:29:38 am »
I don't need these products.  I'm balding and shave my head regularly.      :blank:

fixed it for you :afro:

• gurudanny98
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:01:11 pm
    • Busan South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 11:45:11 am »
I noticed when I don't shave, I get sort of a Dr. Strange-type grey-striped goatee. Shave and problem solved

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 11:46:50 am »
Fellow Greygook here, I’ve started to accumulate a lot of grey on the sides, which didn’t really bother me, but my hairdresser and students kept pointing out the “hwiteuh” hair so I decided to dye it. Used L’Oreal Excellence from Homeplus which was easy to use and worked well.

However the smell of ammonia was nasty, and made me wonder what other chemicals were in there, so I looked online for more natural options. Some people say you can use henna and indigo to dye hair (for brown hair you use 2 parts henna and 1 part indigo). So I ordered some on ebay and I’m going to try that out next time.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:58:52 am »
I don't need these products.  I'm balding and shave my head regularly.      :blank:

fixed it for you :afro:
  :laugh:

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 12:41:05 pm »
Fellow Greygook here, I’ve started to accumulate a lot of grey on the sides, which didn’t really bother me, but my hairdresser and students kept pointing out the “hwiteuh” hair so I decided to dye it. Used L’Oreal Excellence from Homeplus which was easy to use and worked well.

However the smell of ammonia was nasty, and made me wonder what other chemicals were in there, so I looked online for more natural options. Some people say you can use henna and indigo to dye hair (for brown hair you use 2 parts henna and 1 part indigo). So I ordered some on ebay and I’m going to try that out next time.

Do be careful with the henna. I used to have brown hair, and I would use auburn henna. Loved the results; however, as the grey hairs started to sprout (in my mid 20's), I noticed the silver hair would turn bright copper. Looked cool, but not if you have a lot of silver/grey. You might want to test a small section.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:14:15 pm »

I thought Korean hair dye was not good for western hair.  Our hair is different and anyone who tried their products got a weird result.  That's what I've been told. 

Also, unrelated, go a lighter color?  I have dark brown and will use light brown dye if I use it.  But trying natural for now.  Just a few greys.  If it gets worse, I will dye.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 01:25:18 pm »
Here's a pic I caught of myself.  I was shocked.  I think it is partly the light and angle.  Still it shows what's coming.  Yiu young waygooks prepare for the future.  It's coming.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 01:35:53 pm »

I haven't dyed yet.  But what my research says is that shorter hair on the sides could do better with just for men beard dye rather than the hair dye.  something to do with hairs not having much length to them and not retaining as well.  Just for Men is suppose to touch up rather than deeply dye.  When the hair is almost completely grey, then hair dye is better.  Some things off I herb might be more healthy while being easier than henna.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 01:57:59 pm »

I thought Korean hair dye was not good for western hair.  Our hair is different and anyone who tried their products got a weird result.  That's what I've been told. 

Yeah I heard that also. My hair is brown and the L'Oreal dye was brown and it worked ok. Was the standard L'Oreal box from Homeplus with a Korean sticker, so I presume the same product as sold back home.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 02:17:11 pm »
I'm I alone in thinking how ridiculous guys look when they color their hair?

I mean, they aren't fooling anyone, it is obvious and it looks quite clownish.

Granted, this is coming from "a nut" with a full head of hair, with an appropriate amount of gray for my age.

What is wrong with aging gracefully?

Do you guys wear makeup, too? ;)

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 04:58:31 pm »
I'm I alone in thinking how ridiculous guys look when they color their hair?

I mean, they aren't fooling anyone, it is obvious and it looks quite clownish.

Granted, this is coming from "a nut" with a full head of hair, with an appropriate amount of gray for my age.

What is wrong with aging gracefully?

Do you guys wear makeup, too? ;)

Some people care about themselves.  Some people don't and really let themselves go.  As for makeup on guys, that's odd to me.  But, whatever, do your own thing. 

Remember that thing called the Great Recession?  Remember when all those old looking teachers got let go and replaced with young 22 year olds?  Of course things are better here in 2017 than back then.  However, with ESL being a young man's game, it doesn't hurt to keep up appearances a bit.  Also Korean men don't go bald or gray too young.  (Well many will dye their hair.)  Either way, a westerner with either one of these two things really does stand out, especially if they aren't that old.  (IE  Late 20's to mid 40's.)   Koreans don't seem to comment as much as they use to bluntly.  But, they are still thinking it.  If you're single and like dating, not letting yourself go is useful too.  (Although there are a fair number of people who take no pride in their appearance.) 

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 05:17:35 pm »
How do you equate not being vain or disguising your natural hair color to not caring about your appearance?  I don't agree with that kind of statement.

Do you think wigs or hair dye fool anyone?

Doesn't that say more about the vanity/insecurity of that person?

Pride?

Plenty of people dress well and don't color their hair...like plenty of guys color their hair, yet don't trim their disgusting ear and nose hairs ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:57:43 pm by Pecan »

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 09:46:16 am »
How do you equate not being vain or disguising your natural hair color to not caring about your appearance?  I don't agree with that kind of statement.

Do you think wigs or hair dye fool anyone?

Doesn't that say more about the vanity/insecurity of that person?

Pride?

Plenty of people dress well and don't color their hair...like plenty of guys color their hair, yet don't trim their disgusting ear and nose hairs ;)

Well, most Koreans do dye their hair up until retirement.  A few may opt to go grey near it.  So, you're the only one in the office with grey hair looking old before your time.  Koreans have learned tact as opposed to the bluntness on personal appearance they spoke with 10 years ago.  But, they are still thinking it.  Also, the kids will give you "hwiteu hair-eu" non stop.  Some co teachers did tell me that every teacher (over a certain age) dyes their hair.  Why would I be the only one with grey hair?  Teaching jobs?  Job photo?  Age discrimination is big over here and in other Asian countries.  It's not vanity.  But if you want to look old before your time go for it.  I'll tell you what Koreans are thinking when they look over at you.  While, I'm not one to go for peer pressure, only being able to date much older Korean women because they think I'm older won't be any fun.  (I'm not too old; though 40 isn't too far off.  Either way, being gray at 55 or 60, I guess I wouldn't care.)

When the Great Recession flooded Korea about eight years ago, lots of old teachers, grey haired teachers, bald teachers, fat teachers, those over 40, non North American, etc got let go and replaced with blond hair blue eyed teachers from North America.  Things have improved since then and I have seen the return of older teachers over the past couple of years.  This market is much less flooded than before.  But, even in the west, as it's less of an issue, but can still be more subtly, looking your best as a prospective interviewee isn't such a bad thing either. 

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• July 04, 2017, 05:11:57 pm
    • South of Snow
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 09:18:48 pm »
What's wrong with going grey? Where I came from it usually signified wisdom.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.