Read 1959 times

• Pro-Vision
  • Waygookin

• January 11, 2011, 11:12:57 am
    • Ansan, South Korea
Insurance to drive someone else's car
« on: May 04, 2011, 11:07:22 am »
Hey folks, I've been looking on Waygook and doing some research externally, but I haven't been able to find out about the insurance requirements to drive someone else's car.  For example, I have my Korean driver's license, and I'd like to be able to drive my girlfriend's car sometimes.  Do I need to get any/extra insurance to do this? Does she?  Is the car itself insured so it doesn't matter who is driving?  Thanks for any help/info on this!

Cheers all!

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Insurance to drive someone else's car
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:20:04 am »
get your girlfriend to phone her insurance company and put your name on the policy
it may or may not be free :)

• Pro-Vision
  • Waygookin

• Ansan, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:55:26 pm »
That's a good suggestion, but does that imply that EVERY car that I EVER drive here in Korea has to have my name on the insurance?  So does that mean that if I go out with teachers, the driver gets drunk and I offer to drive home, I am not insured?  Or I drive a friend's car to E-mart to pick up a piece of furniture, etc?

Cheers.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 03:00:27 pm »
That's a good suggestion, but does that imply that EVERY car that I EVER drive here in Korea has to have my name on the insurance?  So does that mean that if I go out with teachers, the driver gets drunk and I offer to drive home, I am not insured?  Or I drive a friend's car to E-mart to pick up a piece of furniture, etc?

Cheers.

It depends on the car owner's particular insurance policy.

Some people are only insured to drive the car themselves; some people only themselves and their spouse; some people themselves and one or more named others, and some people have insurance that covers anyone (possibly subject to conditions about age) to drive the car.

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:16:00 pm »
back home I can drive any car I like as long as I have my own insurance for my own car, although the policy does not cover me to the same extent as if I was driving my own car (maybe only 3rd party)

I have never been asked to produce insurance documents here in Korea, or even a licence come to think of it, so I am sure you could drive your drunk co-worker home as long as you don't get into an accident.(fan+crap)

you might get breathalysed at a police random check but you will pass and that will be it, unless you don't pass!!

how many times do you think you will be driving other peoples cars whilst you are here anyway?

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 03:19:12 pm »
Hey folks, I've been looking on Waygook and doing some research externally, but I haven't been able to find out about the insurance requirements to drive someone else's car.  For example, I have my Korean driver's license, and I'd like to be able to drive my girlfriend's car sometimes.  Do I need to get any/extra insurance to do this? Does she?  Is the car itself insured so it doesn't matter who is driving?  Thanks for any help/info on this!

Cheers all!

From what I read it depends on the plan that your girlfriend has. Some plans have it so that people under/over a certain age can drive fully insured. However, some other plans state that you have to have you name on the plan for it to be insured. It is best to get your girlfriend to call her insurance company.

• candiep20
  • Waygookin

• April 06, 2011, 12:13:23 pm
    • Gangneung, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 03:32:40 pm »
hi,

I agree with the above poster. Have your girlfriend check out what plan she's on and maybe talk to the insurance company about the options you want. My husband set up my insurance and according to him it covers my car and any other car that I choose to drive, regardless of whether or not it's owned by us or someone else. It is a little more costly though than basic but I like knowing that whatever happens to me on the road here, my insurance company will most likely take care of things for me.

• Pro-Vision
  • Waygookin

• Ansan, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:38:36 am »
Thanks for the info all!  I talked with my girlfriend and she has only the basic policy.  So to drive her car I would have to get her to add my name to the policy.  Again, thanks for the helpful info!

Cheers!