Read 2801 times

Private Elementaries Being Pushed to Drop Gr1-2 English?
« on: June 21, 2017, 08:03:21 am »
So the rumor my school right now (from the Korean staff) is that our school and likely most other private elementary schools are being pressured by the government to drop grade 1 and 2 english programs starting next semester. I know that other private elementaries in my area have been hit by odd government sactions lately, such as being forced to take away paid lunches and reducing the number of English classes per week,

What's the word from other schools?

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
Re: Private Elementaries Being Pushed to Drop Gr1-2 English?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 09:44:14 am »
Makes sense as it would lead to more conformity with the public school system. Moon wants to turn all private schools into public schools, So any of the current staff, Korean included, that think they have a cushy job for life are going to be in for a hard shock by 2020ish (and they probably voted for him too, heh)
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:06:18 am »
Is this at the hakwon level.  Because I for one would like to go back to the old public school days of which I didn't have to teach 1st and 2nd grade.  Those kids are draining  :sad:

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 10:17:27 am »
I don't know about this 1st/2nd grade issue but there have been articles lately about Moonie wanting to ban and shut down private high schools. (Not hagwons, private schools which teach the same hours as public schools) Which is something he openly pledged to do during the election!

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=231318

The Gyeonggi Province education chief announced Tuesday a plan to abolish foreign language and autonomous high schools, stirring controversy over education reform nationwide. Seoul, where 38 percent of such schools are located, is also expected to overhaul its education system. There are 46 autonomous high schools, 31 foreign language schools and seven international schools nationwide that may lose their status and be turned into public schools, one of President Moon Jae-in’s key election campaign pledges.

The only official statement so far has come from Gyeonggi Province Education Superintendent Lee Jae-jeong who vowed to incrementally abolish 10 foreign language and private schools in the province by 2020. But it was Seoul that met a fierce backlash due to speculation that it will abolish 29 such schools.

But he's getting some pushback about it...

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=231497

The Moon Jae-in administration’s controversial plan to abolish foreign language, international and autonomous high schools faces a tough road ahead, with fierce opposition from the schools, parents and students.

If he went through with this I'd say private schools' and maybe even international schools' days are numbered. Keep in mind Moon is going after hagwons calling themselves "international schools" for having E-2's teaching subjects that E-7's are supposed to teach. And if all these schools shut down, rich families would just send their kids off to Canada/Australia/Switzerland or whatever.

But the moms would push back, and a LOT of Korean politicians and I bet a lot of immigration and education officials send their kids to these schools. I'd be surprised if they all got shut down, but I also wouldn't expect to make a long-standing career at private schools or international schools, especially the hagwons falsely calling themselves international schools, whether on an E-2 or E-7 or even an F visa.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:26:04 am by MayorHaggar »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 11:30:11 am »
Is this at the hakwon level.  Because I for one would like to go back to the old public school days of which I didn't have to teach 1st and 2nd grade.  Those kids are draining  :sad:

Not sure about hagwons, the school I'm at now is a private elementary school.

Also, just to offer some more insight, I'll be starting at an international school this fall (got things set up before the big crackdown and can't really back out now) and I know that the school I'm going to is replacing ALL E2 teachers, and will only be employing F teachers.

I wonder if this initiative goes through if it will just result in more parents going to international schools anyway since they want the early years english education. If not international schools then I'm sure it will at least boost the hagwons with early elementary programs.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 12:25:49 pm »
Just introduce English in Kindergarten a bit through songs and games with some classes in grade one and two for everyone.  You'd have a lot of fluent kids pretty quickly.  I guess the old the current go prob doesn't want the kids speaking English so they can't be "corrupted" by foreign ideas.  If they can't speak English how can they think differently or get exposed to different ideas? 

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 12:37:09 pm »
I think part of the reason is because if kids learn English in grades 1 and 2, they're bored af when they start the actual English curriculum in grade 3. I had after school 1s and 2s last year, every one of those kids, even the lowest level kids, was substantially better at English than the ones I teach now. Thing it, when those 1s and 2s hit grade 3, they're going to be bored out of their minds. Chapter 1 is how to say hello, goodbye, and "my name is". Kids who learned that 2 years before are going to be dying of boredom. BUT the kids who didn't have it in 1st and 2nd grade either learn it alright in 3rd grade, or struggle.

I had to live through something similar. I started out in a Catholic school where they started French in grade 1, public schools didn't start until grade 3. I switched over in 5th grade and was bored to death because I was 2 years ahead of them. I was trying to conjugate verbs and being told to drop my level down to what the textbook said. It was bs, but that's what happens to those kids when they hit the actual curriculum. Ideally they'd just start everyone in 1st grade, but looks like they're just trying to stop some kids from getting ahead :/

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 12:57:20 pm »
I don't know about this 1st/2nd grade issue but there have been articles lately about Moonie wanting to ban and shut down private high schools. (Not hagwons, private schools which teach the same hours as public schools) Which is something he openly pledged to do during the election!

The Gyeonggi Province education chief announced Tuesday a plan to abolish foreign language and autonomous high schools, stirring controversy over education reform nationwide. Seoul, where 38 percent of such schools are located, is also expected to overhaul its education system. There are 46 autonomous high schools, 31 foreign language schools and seven international schools nationwide that may lose their status and be turned into public schools, one of President Moon Jae-in’s key election campaign pledges.

The only official statement so far has come from Gyeonggi Province Education Superintendent Lee Jae-jeong who vowed to incrementally abolish 10 foreign language and private schools in the province by 2020. But it was Seoul that met a fierce backlash due to speculation that it will abolish 29 such schools.

The Moon Jae-in administration’s controversial plan to abolish foreign language, international and autonomous high schools faces a tough road ahead, with fierce opposition from the schools, parents and students.

If he went through with this I'd say private schools' and maybe even international schools' days are numbered. Keep in mind Moon is going after hagwons calling themselves "international schools" for having E-2's teaching subjects that E-7's are supposed to teach. And if all these schools shut down, rich families would just send their kids off to Canada/Australia/Switzerland or whatever.

But the moms would push back, and a LOT of Korean politicians and I bet a lot of immigration and education officials send their kids to these schools. I'd be surprised if they all got shut down, but I also wouldn't expect to make a long-standing career at private schools or international schools, especially the hagwons falsely calling themselves international schools, whether on an E-2 or E-7 or even an F visa.

That's interesting. Gyeonggi-do has a conservative government, right?

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 03:16:33 pm »
I think part of the reason is because if kids learn English in grades 1 and 2, they're bored af when they start the actual English curriculum in grade 3. I had after school 1s and 2s last year, every one of those kids, even the lowest level kids, was substantially better at English than the ones I teach now. Thing it, when those 1s and 2s hit grade 3, they're going to be bored out of their minds. Chapter 1 is how to say hello, goodbye, and "my name is". Kids who learned that 2 years before are going to be dying of boredom. BUT the kids who didn't have it in 1st and 2nd grade either learn it alright in 3rd grade, or struggle.

I had to live through something similar. I started out in a Catholic school where they started French in grade 1, public schools didn't start until grade 3. I switched over in 5th grade and was bored to death because I was 2 years ahead of them. I was trying to conjugate verbs and being told to drop my level down to what the textbook said. It was bs, but that's what happens to those kids when they hit the actual curriculum. Ideally they'd just start everyone in 1st grade, but looks like they're just trying to stop some kids from getting ahead :/

I understand that for public schools but private elementary schools have English all the way through. The school I'm at isn't an academy, students come from 8-4  and learn both English and Korean. It's a shame because our students speak amazing English and we're able to teach normal subjects but in English instead of Korean. My understanding is that the government thinks that private schools give an unfair advantage over public schools and want it he system more balanced in terms of opportunity.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 03:32:04 pm »

So, up the level of the curriculum in the older grades.  I meet the kids who don't get exposed to English at all and in Middle School.  Some of them are really terrible at it.  "What's your name?"  "How old are you?" is a struggle for them.  Some in gr 1 middle still don't know their alphabet.   English is important here for companies, travel, global tourism, etc.  If they loaded the kids more with it when they were young, then there would be less stress when they are older having to memorize and such.  They could spend that energy on other subjects because they'd already have English down.  Many parents send their kids to English kindys and academies because they disagree with gov philosophy. 

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:32 am »

So, up the level of the curriculum in the older grades.  I meet the kids who don't get exposed to English at all and in Middle School.  Some of them are really terrible at it.  "What's your name?"  "How old are you?" is a struggle for them.  Some in gr 1 middle still don't know their alphabet.   English is important here for companies, travel, global tourism, etc.  If they loaded the kids more with it when they were young, then there would be less stress when they are older having to memorize and such.  They could spend that energy on other subjects because they'd already have English down.  Many parents send their kids to English kindys and academies because they disagree with gov philosophy.

Read that part up there that I've highlighted.

I'm pointing out that there's a massive level gap which blows for the kids. Ideally they'd start everyone in grade 1, it would be much better for the kids, especially having a native teacher from that young and haven't had their souls crushed by the education system yet.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

more
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 08:04:51 am »

There is a division between the Gyeonggi government and the Gyeonggi education office. The provincial Education superintendents are largely Minjoo, including Lee Jae-Jeong. Surely you remember those elections a few years ago?
By the way, Both Seoul and Gyeonggi's education ministries, the ones at the center of the attempts to abolish Private schools, have Minjoo Superintendents. Saenuri are incompetent idiots that blow money on stupid things out of greed, but these plans are purely ideological ****nuggetery and whenever its ideological ****nuggetery, it has Minjoo written all over it.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 12:15:02 pm »

There is a division between the Gyeonggi government and the Gyeonggi education office. The provincial Education superintendents are largely Minjoo, including Lee Jae-Jeong. Surely you remember those elections a few years ago?
By the way, Both Seoul and Gyeonggi's education ministries, the ones at the center of the attempts to abolish Private schools, have Minjoo Superintendents. Saenuri are incompetent idiots that blow money on stupid things out of greed, but these plans are purely ideological ****nuggetery and whenever its ideological ****nuggetery, it has Minjoo written all over it.

Ah. Interesting. Thanks.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 04:30:12 pm »
Typical Korean bureaucrat who plagiarized his SKY dissertation set to close international/private schools because too many kids will go to SKY or something.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/06/181_231641.html

Foreign teachers left stranded by crackdown on visa violations (old news by now but it's interesting that immigration refuses to comment)

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170622000872

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 07:33:34 pm »
And here's the big pushback. Apologies if this seems unrelated to the English teaching rules this topic is about or the E-7/E-2 crackdown, but it seems pretty clear to me that Moonie is going to try and go after these private schools and international schools.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=3034965

Independent private high schools and foreign language high schools are outraged by a movement among some local education offices to transform them into public schools and abolish the independent private high school system altogether.

“Seoul’s education chief, Cho Hee-yeon, has in a one-manned way announced a plan to shut down independent private high schools without holding a meeting with the parents even once,” said Song Su-min, president of an association of parents with children attending independent private high schools, in a press conference at the Ewha Girls’ High School in central Seoul on Thursday. “We demand that he revoke his plan.”

That's a lot of super-wealthy tiger moms!

I really really don't get the point of this. If the Mooninites are worried about inequality in education, there are so many better things they could do. For starters they could make public schools far better and not basically force parents to send their kids to endless hagwons just to get by on standardized tests. They could revamp the whole standardized test system so it wasn't a bunch of useless crap that rewards rote learning and cramming rather than evaluating aptitude. And revamp the tests so that kids going to public school could actually do well on them, rather than requiring hours at hagwons to do well on them. They could try and revamp the entire education culture so that it didn't value cheating and filling every classroom with giant HDTV's over actual student evaluation and over real education. They could revamp the university system so that most universities provided a high-quality education, and so it wasn't a bunch of coddled professors teaching to students who just want to party because they know that their suneung score and college admission letter are far more important to their life than anything they will ever learn at university.

I could go on and on but I think anyone who's taught at public school will see what a joke it is. Yeah, they have good test scores, but only because the kids go to hagwons. There's a far more important divide in South Korea between rural and urban than between rich and poor. Parents kill themselves to live in expensive cities so they can send their kids to good urban schools instead of the godawful rural schools, and you can see why status-obsessed Korean parents who have money would want to keep their kids away from any public schools, just like in any other country. Close down the small number of private schools and you'll just make the parents send their kids to Canada or wherever, as I've said before.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 09:08:51 pm »
And revamp the tests so that kids going to public school could actually do well on them, rather than requiring hours at hagwons to do well on them.
when i worked at public school (ele and high school), i couldn't give any student less than a 7/10 - even if they spoke no english or got every question wrong

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

more
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 11:04:55 pm »
And here's the big pushback. Apologies if this seems unrelated to the English teaching rules this topic is about or the E-7/E-2 crackdown, but it seems pretty clear to me that Moonie is going to try and go after these private schools and international schools.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=3034965

Independent private high schools and foreign language high schools are outraged by a movement among some local education offices to transform them into public schools and abolish the independent private high school system altogether.

“Seoul’s education chief, Cho Hee-yeon, has in a one-manned way announced a plan to shut down independent private high schools without holding a meeting with the parents even once,” said Song Su-min, president of an association of parents with children attending independent private high schools, in a press conference at the Ewha Girls’ High School in central Seoul on Thursday. “We demand that he revoke his plan.”

That's a lot of super-wealthy tiger moms!

I really really don't get the point of this. If the Mooninites are worried about inequality in education, there are so many better things they could do. For starters they could make public schools far better and not basically force parents to send their kids to endless hagwons just to get by on standardized tests. They could revamp the whole standardized test system so it wasn't a bunch of useless crap that rewards rote learning and cramming rather than evaluating aptitude. And revamp the tests so that kids going to public school could actually do well on them, rather than requiring hours at hagwons to do well on them. They could try and revamp the entire education culture so that it didn't value cheating and filling every classroom with giant HDTV's over actual student evaluation and over real education. They could revamp the university system so that most universities provided a high-quality education, and so it wasn't a bunch of coddled professors teaching to students who just want to party because they know that their suneung score and college admission letter are far more important to their life than anything they will ever learn at university.

I could go on and on but I think anyone who's taught at public school will see what a joke it is. Yeah, they have good test scores, but only because the kids go to hagwons. There's a far more important divide in South Korea between rural and urban than between rich and poor. Parents kill themselves to live in expensive cities so they can send their kids to good urban schools instead of the godawful rural schools, and you can see why status-obsessed Korean parents who have money would want to keep their kids away from any public schools, just like in any other country. Close down the small number of private schools and you'll just make the parents send their kids to Canada or wherever, as I've said before.

Therein lies the problem. They're not approaching this from any sort of rational education orientated perspective. They're going in, all guns blazing on an ideological crusade that will see the middle class bearing the brunt of it, while the elites(including every single Minjoo parliamentarian and councilors child - quelle surprise!) will continue to send their kids abroad or abuse their kids multiple citizenship for the best education deal money can buy. They can keep their supporters placated by bringing the uppity middle class down a few pegs and really, this is what its all about. Nor do I think the rural poor matter too much to them either these days. They can count on those in their western heartlands to vote Minjoo no matter what( to the point it can more or less be taken for granted) and they'll never win over the rural poor in Gyeongsang due to the Minjoo-Saenuri tribalism in Jeolla and Gyeongsang that's at least decades ( or if you go to the roots of it, ultimately almost 2 millennia) old. There's absolutely no incentive in it for them to raise up public school standards when they can just placate the urban poor swing voters by bringing down the middle class.