Read 45785 times

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Waygook.org user #basedcowboyshirt's #based lifehacks topic
« Reply #320 on: July 15, 2020, 07:40:20 am »
I wish this thread could be renamed normal life hacks normal people do everyday.  Why does this thread exist?   I have a life hack!  Take a glass, or any container you find that doesn't have holes in it.  Pour water into it.  Now you have a cup of water you can drink from! Yipee! 
Troomtroom is more helpful.

Man I've been using my tap like a water fountain all these years, you're telling me I can use a glass to hold water? Damn! Thanks brother!
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #321 on: July 15, 2020, 07:49:38 am »
I drink water from the tap too, but am reconsidering it now that I just read this in the "Every Expat in Korea" forum. Oooph.
I'm really curious as to what they actually are, although creepy crawlies of any sort in your drinking water is never good news.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200714000823&fbclid=IwAR2s7VfRjcB-7eLSiLLUnRBPN3CY2oCht1bgWQVktU4z7JNisOYD7PEdpT4

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #322 on: July 15, 2020, 07:53:57 am »
just buy a brita filter. if nothing else, it tastes better

people who buy hundreds of bottles of water annoy me. such a waste of plastic

« Reply #323 on: July 15, 2020, 10:06:15 am »
just buy a brita filter. if nothing else, it tastes better

people who buy hundreds of bottles of water annoy me. such a waste of plastic

Plastic bottles are literally poison. To the earth. I don't understand why people go to Costco and buy like hundreds of tiny little plastic bottles.

Also, Britas are good. But getting one of the rental water purifiers from LG or any of the other comparable big brands is one of the most convenient things I've ever done. Cold water. Hot water on demand. All filtered. Scheduled filter changes, etc. And they're pretty cheap, too.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #324 on: July 15, 2020, 10:22:15 am »
Plastic bottles are literally poison. To the earth. I don't understand why people go to Costco and buy like hundreds of tiny little plastic bottles.

Also, Britas are good. But getting one of the rental water purifiers from LG or any of the other comparable big brands is one of the most convenient things I've ever done. Cold water. Hot water on demand. All filtered. Scheduled filter changes, etc. And they're pretty cheap, too.

Those water purifiers are also kind of poison for the environment as they waste a lot of energy keeping water cool and hot all the time.
Under sink filtration kits are the best and by far the cheapest. They use the same filters like those rentals but they don't use electricity. Filters are pretty easy to change. Filters for a year cost around 30k. The whole kit, including a small tap and all pipes, 1 year worth of filters and a box for the filters is around 50k.
I can keep some water in the fridge or boil some in a minute if I need.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #325 on: July 15, 2020, 10:32:58 am »
But make sure every power strip is unplugged and that all the individual switches on the power bar are turned off!

My old Co-teacher had a master power switch in the English room and she would still turn off every switch on every power bar.

Burning bill to find pennies in the dark.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #326 on: July 15, 2020, 11:32:15 am »
Those water purifiers are also kind of poison for the environment as they waste a lot of energy keeping water cool and hot all the time.
Under sink filtration kits are the best and by far the cheapest. They use the same filters like those rentals but they don't use electricity. Filters are pretty easy to change. Filters for a year cost around 30k. The whole kit, including a small tap and all pipes, 1 year worth of filters and a box for the filters is around 50k.
I can keep some water in the fridge or boil some in a minute if I need.

Valid points, but I wouldn't necessarily say the hot / cold purifiers have a super big energy footprint, though. I mean, compared to a refrigerator or other large appliance, they're not too bad. They're reasonably efficient, and I didn't notice any appreciable difference in our energy usage on our monthly bill before and after getting one.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #327 on: July 16, 2020, 09:44:48 am »
Valid points, but I wouldn't necessarily say the hot / cold purifiers have a super big energy footprint, though. I mean, compared to a refrigerator or other large appliance, they're not too bad. They're reasonably efficient, and I didn't notice any appreciable difference in our energy usage on our monthly bill before and after getting one.

What does you energy rating sticker say?
The modern ones use considerably less energy than the ones even just 5-6 years ago. Also, recently they make rather small ones that have small reservoirs and they indeed don't consume much energy. The best I found is LG puricare and the sticker on it says 17,000krw/year. I guess these would be also more expensive to rent. Another very recent one, a Coway says 49,000Krw/year. This one has a larger water tank but nothing industrial level. I think this kind of size is very common in households.
But my main problem is not how much energy they use but that most of it is wasted, It's like boiling 1L water in an electric kettle and using only 300ml.

Aside from the energy usage, I also don't pay a monthly fee. So like I said, and undersink system is by far the cheapest and most environmentally friendly way.

« Reply #328 on: July 16, 2020, 09:52:04 am »
Lifehack 72: when using an unfamiliar push dispenser bottle of any kind, cup your hand around the nozzle from as many angles as possible as you push. Unfortunately, this still may not completely prevent hand sanitizer from darting into your eye or lotion from splattering your shirt.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:54:23 am by Don Hobak »

« Reply #329 on: July 16, 2020, 10:13:20 am »
What does you energy rating sticker say?
The modern ones use considerably less energy than the ones even just 5-6 years ago. Also, recently they make rather small ones that have small reservoirs and they indeed don't consume much energy. The best I found is LG puricare and the sticker on it says 17,000krw/year. I guess these would be also more expensive to rent. Another very recent one, a Coway says 49,000Krw/year. This one has a larger water tank but nothing industrial level. I think this kind of size is very common in households.
But my main problem is not how much energy they use but that most of it is wasted, It's like boiling 1L water in an electric kettle and using only 300ml.

Aside from the energy usage, I also don't pay a monthly fee. So like I said, and undersink system is by far the cheapest and most environmentally friendly way.
Yeah, ours is rated 1 on the energy scale. We drink a lot of tea, so the hot water thing was really convenient. And it's only like 18,000 a month. So, decent. There's probably more environmental stuff out there. Or you could just drink tap water. But I feel zero environmental guilt from our purifier, haha.

« Reply #330 on: July 16, 2020, 11:00:38 am »
The whole kit, including a small tap and all pipes, 1 year worth of filters and a box for the filters is around 50k.

Would you be able to provide a link to such a kit?

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #331 on: July 16, 2020, 11:52:15 am »
Would you be able to provide a link to such a kit?

Sure. Something like this:
https://search.shopping.naver.com/search/all?query=%EC%9B%8C%ED%84%B0%ED%94%BC%EC%95%84%20%EC%96%B8%EB%8D%94%EC%8B%B1%ED%81%AC%20%EC%A0%95%EC%88%98%EA%B8%B0%20%EC%84%B8%ED%8A%B8&frm=NVSHATC&prevQuery=%EC%96%B8%EB%8D%94%EC%8B%B1%ED%81%AC%20%EC%A0%95%EC%88%98%EA%B8%B0%20%EC%84%B8%ED%8A%B8

You could have someone come to your place and set it up or you can do it yourself. The former will cost extra money. I've done it in 2 different places, it's not a big deal. I was lucky though because at both places they already had that thin white tube installed in the main water line so I didn't need to do anything about it. All I had to do is drill a hole through the sink. You obviously need a drill to do that.
The tap these kits come with are not the best quality. Ours broke after a year or two. So we got a better version that is more expensive but seems to last.

« Reply #332 on: July 16, 2020, 12:03:01 pm »
Sure. Something like this...

Nice one, thanks.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #333 on: July 16, 2020, 02:00:04 pm »
Lifehack 72: when using an unfamiliar push dispenser bottle of any kind, cup your hand around the nozzle from as many angles as possible as you push. Unfortunately, this still may not completely prevent hand sanitizer from darting into your eye or lotion from splattering your shirt.

That sounds like the voice of experience to me.

« Reply #334 on: July 16, 2020, 02:16:45 pm »
That sounds like the voice of experience to me.

Iíve been known to lotion... though perhaps not as much as aristocrat.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #335 on: July 16, 2020, 02:21:05 pm »
Well, not everybody can afford to float in a bathtub full of exfoliant everyday!

« Reply #336 on: July 16, 2020, 02:24:48 pm »
Well, not everybody can afford to float in a bathtub full of exfoliant everyday!

Sulfuric acid isnít *that* expensive  :rolleyes:

« Reply #337 on: July 22, 2020, 12:30:40 pm »
Lifehack 38:

When boiling eggs, boil a lot at one time. This increases your efficiency, while also decreasing the energy used when compared to if you boiled each egg individually. Also, boiled eggs are an economical and healthy food choice. They will keep in the fridge for a long time, also, so you don't have to worry about rushing to eat them before they go bad.

Please note: this doesn't apply to frying eggs. Just boiling them.

• Renma
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #338 on: July 22, 2020, 01:28:22 pm »
The downstairs neighbours might disagree.

Gonna nitpick and point out this was hydrofluoric acid.

Who boils one egg at a time?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #339 on: July 22, 2020, 01:32:28 pm »
Gonna nitpick and point out this was hydrofluoric acid.