Read 1949 times

• littlelena
  • Waygookin

• September 01, 2016, 07:44:49 am
    • South Korea
Not being giving full vacation Q...
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:58:23 pm »
Hey guys,

So I need some advice, if anyone has any.

I have 9 days for summer vacation, but my school has an extremely short summer break...11 days plus the weekends. I still have to do a week of summer camp, so that leaves 7 days for me to go on vacation. My vice principal is allowing me to leave 2 days early since there will be no classes on those days. However, the office of edu is saying that I cannot do that. Instead, I can have 4 half days at work to make up the lost vacation time.

If they offered overtime instead, I would be happier. But giving me half days really screws me over because I lose lesson planning time, and I still have camp materials to make.

Is this fair? Can I fight this? Do a half days count as vacation days?

• chrislis90
  • Adventurer

• March 12, 2016, 09:47:08 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Not being giving full vacation Q...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:03:10 pm »
That sounds quite odd. Do you want to take all of the 9 days in the summer? If not, you should ask if you could add the remaining days to your winter vacation.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 01:03:48 pm »
Is this a hakwon situation? 

• littlelena
  • Waygookin

• September 01, 2016, 07:44:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:05:27 pm »
No, I am with EPIK but I work in a private school.

We have 18 days vacation. I took 9 in the winter and now I have 9 more.

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 01:22:45 pm »
Are you a late intake? I don't see how they'd be able to give you 4 half days unless you're coming back or to give you half days before summer? If you're not re-signing fight for those days, they tried to pull that bs on me so I'd have 5 days summer vacation but you have to fight back to get it, tell them to shorten their camp because you need to get your vacation in. It would blow to not be able to have full days off and just take half days, especially when they owe you vacation time. If you are re-signing then you might not want to fight as much, but if you don't stand up for yourself now then they'll probably walk over your vacation next year too.

Don't go in yelling at them, but explain that because of your vacation times, you need them to shorten their camp, half days in the semester won't cut it.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:28:03 pm »
Odd. If your VP approved it, I'm not sure why your office of Ed is blocking this motion. Did you ask them or did they contact you?

I would check your contract for specifics. I'm in a different program and while mine says vacation days are only to be taken during breaks, there's also a vague clause where my principal has discretion in allowing paid or unpaid leave at other times as long as it doesn't interfere with the school schedule.

Also, I'd at least politely put up some resistance against this half day nonsense. I get splitting up vacation time into days here and days there isn't preferable either but half days takes it too far.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:32:01 pm by yirj17 »

• nakdong
  • Adventurer

• November 16, 2009, 11:54:43 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:30:32 pm »
Completely agree with Kriztee. The holidays are your time, not theirs. They have no right to take them from you, they will have to change to accommodate your time off. One question though, my contract allows for '10 in winter, 8 in summer'. If yours is the same they may only have to give you eight, but for the sake of the validity of all our public school contracts please tell them you'd like what the contract promises. Good luck!

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 01:30:36 pm »
Why is the Office of Ed. involved?  I don't follow that at all.

This is between you and your school.

4 half days does not equal 2 days of vacation...F'that!

Ignore the Office of Ed. and abide by the terms agreed upon with your school.

If you hadn't used any of your vacation days, they would have a valid point.  However, you used half during the winter, so they need to be reasonable.

Best of luck.

IIWM, I would stick to my guns, as airfare is expensive, so if I am going to fly somewhere, it needs to be a decent length of time to make it worth it.

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 11, 2016, 12:55:18 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:41:38 pm »
IDK if it's different with a private school, but as I understand it, the length of the camp is not decided by the school, but the office of education, so asking the school to shorten their camp probably won't work. I would call the office of education and explain the situation directly.

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 01:56:10 pm »
Camps are most definately decided by your school if you're doing a school camp. The school board can decide on a city camp length which can't be changed by the school, but if the school runs a camp then the school decides the length. Some cities are different and the schools choose their camps and deal directly with the English teacher, some cities the schools tell the office of education how long their camp is and if their NET doesn't have enough time to teach, they'll ship in another NET. With a private school I doubt they'd send another NET to the school but that's what's happening with one of my schools because I don't have time to do all the camps they wanted and I straight up told them I don't have time.

If you call the city education office, you might not get someone who speaks great English, if you call the POE/MOE, they'll probably side with the school. Your best bet is to talk it out with the school.

I recommend the talk incorporate the phrases "I can't" and "It's impossible" as much as possible ;)

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 02:09:55 pm »
Ya, don't do the half days. Make it about money.

Schools would much rather us not be at school than pay extra.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 06:22:24 pm »
It's little known but like everywhere, the school has to pay you out for those vacation days you didnt use.

Ask them if they gna pay it out next time you in a meeting.