Read 2133 times

"Foreigner Grade" Anyone have a clue what that means?
« on: May 04, 2011, 10:30:35 am »
My co teacher just asked me to help her fill out 3 forms that the Gyeonggi Province has asked her to submit.  A lot of it is the standard informaton - Passport Number, Visa Expiration Date, etc.. but they also asked for "Foreigner Grade."  That stumped me... at first I thought it had to do with my visa category, but its not.

Instead, it's apparently a calculated formula combining your age, length of time spent in Korea, university grades....  And people are either Level 1, 2, 3 or 4...

Can anyone help explain this?  It's the first I've ever heard of it   

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2010, 11:49:17 am
    • Suwon
Re: "Foreigner Grade" Anyone have a clue what that means?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:45 am »
Wow!  I've never heard of that!  I agree with Rusty...have your co-teacher go back upstream to find out what they actually want...then come back here and explain it.  I'm curious now.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:37:45 am »
Are you sure they aren't asking about your pay grade (as in 2, 2+, 3, etc.)?

• JJWON
  • Adventurer

• December 13, 2010, 02:59:16 pm
    • Suwon, Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:50:27 am »
This may be what she is talking about.  It's a new point based system for people trying to get residency visas in Korea.
http://www.koreaherald.com/entertainment/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20100517000670

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:54:12 am »
In Gimhae all public teachers are graded by their coteachers. I don't know how often. The score you get depends on a few different factors including punctuality, how well they think you teach, how smart you dress, whether you're married or not and whether your a qualified teacher. I've seen the score sheet and my coteacher translate most of it. Maybe it's the same as that. If only OFSTED in the UK assessed teachers back home with the same gradings. Life as a teacher would have been eeaassyyy :)

• Bosun_Kim
  • Newgookin

• September 14, 2010, 08:44:26 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 10:55:40 am »
check out the file... I think this is what it means.

http://www.epik.go.kr    -> Job description -> Salary & Benefits

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:56:57 am »
LOL  5 stars sir...5 stars.  I wish we could "like" a comment or something.

Wow!  I've never heard of that!  I agree with Rusty...have your co-teacher go back upstream to find out what they actually want...then come back here and explain it.  I'm curious now.

I just checked with my co-teacher and she said it's your weight divided by your height multiplied by how white(but not how handsome) your face is divided by the co-efficient of the ratio of how well you use chopstick and how spicy you say (but not think) kimchi is. Plug the resulting figure into the Duckworth-Lewis method to calculate the target score for the team batting second in a one-day cricket or Twenty20 cricket match interrupted by weather or other circumstance. Divide the resulting number by seven then multiply by the age your mother was when her first child was born and you have the "foreigner grade"
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:33:05 am »
Yeah, the form posted is right, but that is for EPIK. Check your contract with GEPIK. There are a LOT more grades. Last year, I was a 7 in GEPIK.