Read 1552 times

NBA question
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:20:43 am »
so the warriors have won another championship.  im cool with that.  i see that durant is getting a lot of hate because he went to GS to win a championship.  I don't get this hate.  he was never going to win a title in okc, not with westbrook there.  gs state drafted an awesome team and got the player they felt they needed to keep them elite.   what's the dilly yo?

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: NBA question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:35:31 am »
No one likes to see a player leaving a team that they were with for an extended period where they are a major part in the team building up together. Especially a team that doesn't have a championship pedigree and was seen kind of as an underdog, but maybe could have but probably never would have won a ring. To leave that to join a team that is at it's peak, seems like he wants to hitch his wagon to something he didnt build just to get a hollow championship.

Not saying I agree with this. For any team to win an NBA championship is insanely hard and he's a great player. But i think it's pretty easy to see where there could be some bitterness.

It would be like Alan Iverson leaving the 76ers in 2001 to join the Lakers to get a ring that year. But I guess in hindsight, 16 years later, maybe Iverson would be remembered differently if he had a championship to his name. But you get my point. Dont you?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:45:27 am »
I think a lot of players are looking at the Barkleys, the AIs, the Reggie Millers, the Patrick Ewings, and so on and saying "That ain't gonna be me." That can make a difference in money down the line and they want the respect and status that a title confers. Durant can always go back to OKC.

But the rumor is that LeBron will head to San Antonio with CP3. CP3+Kawhi+LeBron+LMA could take GS on I think.

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:54:05 am »
Well, Durant piggybacked his way to a championship. He joined a team that had just won 73 games, an NBA record, and which had previously won a championship without him in 2015. He went to the team that had just beat him. It was one of the weakest moves in the history of the NBA. Its like Jordan joining the Pistons after they had beat him and won the championship. Durant essentially said " I can't beat you guys so I'm going to join you."

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 10:01:09 am »
i can understand the bitterness cause i'm sure everybody wanted KD to go to their team and if GS can keep this team intact, they will continue to make trips to the finals every year.  i don't agree with the hollow championship though.  championship is a championship.  he played his minutes, contributed to the team, and beat a Cavs team that tore through the east in the playoffs.  i remember when malone went to the lakers chasing a ring, sure he wasn't in his prime but i didn't see him get all this hate.  i wish AI had left sooner to a contender, cause he probably would be remembered differently.  so i get what you're saying zola.  just irks me.  after awhile, these players have enough money where it becomes about titles.  i just dont think they should have to wait until they are past their prime to chase that title cause it might never come.

lebron to SA with CP3 with kawhi is going to be insane.  if kawhi hadn't gotten hurt, who knows what wouldve happen.  i'd be surprised to see lebron join a west conference team though.  the east provides an easier road to the finals. 

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:03:39 am »
just thought i would add, im not a GS state fan.  they got a cool team that's fun to watch. keith van horn ftw
8)

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:15:18 am »
Well, Durant piggybacked his way to a championship. He joined a team that had just won 73 games, an NBA record, and which had previously won a championship without him in 2015. He went to the team that had just beat him. It was one of the weakest moves in the history of the NBA. Its like Jordan joining the Pistons after they had beat him and won the championship. Durant essentially said " I can't beat you guys so I'm going to join you."

maybe he couldn't beat them, i still dont see what's wrong with joining them.  him and westbrook just don't work together.  why stay in OKC? why deal with that?  just my opinion, but if he stays in OKC, he never wins a title.   

sidenote- nice to talk about sports
 ;D
sure they had already won a title in 2015 and had a 73 win season last year but are we going to start faulting every player (or just star player) that wants to go to a championship caliber team? 

• HyooMyron
  • Super Waygook

• October 14, 2013, 11:36:39 pm
    • Jinju, S. Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:24:19 am »
so the warriors have won another championship.  im cool with that.  i see that durant is getting a lot of hate because he went to GS to win a championship.  I don't get this hate.  he was never going to win a title in okc, not with westbrook there.  gs state drafted an awesome team and got the player they felt they needed to keep them elite.   what's the dilly yo?

Hell to the naw. This is where casual fans are totally wrong. Last year's Thunder vs. Warriors match up could have gone either way. Hell, the Thunder were in the lead. People were talking about how it would be an epic rivalry for the coming years. And with OKC's young players improving, they could have easily won a 'ship if KD stayed. So to those who enjoy seeing competition, KD joining the Dubs was an enormous detriment to the league. He not only made the best team better, but he also made one of their biggest competitors a lot worse. Bye bye parity. And THAT is why a lot of people hated the move.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 10:41:15 am »
i get the parity argument.  it's good to have competitive teams.  people hated the move, but they are throwing all that hate on him.  i still don't agree with that.  sure, okc probably shouldve won in the conf finals last year but they didn't.  Even if they did, would they have beaten the Cavs? who knows?  but he felt he had a better shot at a title with another team.  he took that shot and now he's a champion.  i don't see how forcing him to stay on OKC when he doesn't want to would be a better for him. why stay in a situation you don't want to be in?  the hate i mostly see is about him as a player.  the parity argument is better reason to hate the move. 

• parkerynp
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2017, 06:38:51 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 10:45:33 am »
But the rumor is that LeBron will head to San Antonio with CP3. CP3+Kawhi+LeBron+LMA could take GS on I think.

That would be an insanely fun match up to watch in the western conference finals. I'm all for moving around the league as long as it doesn't turn into a totally dominate situation like we have now.

The NBA as a business model is not at its healthiest stage. Imagine if it were GS vs the Celtics or the Raptors. Or Cavs vs the Jazz. Nobody would care.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 11:12:56 am »
I think a lot of players are looking at the Barkleys, the AIs, the Reggie Millers, the Patrick Ewings, and so on and saying "That ain't gonna be me." That can make a difference in money down the line and they want the respect and status that a title confers. Durant can always go back to OKC.

NBA 2K18.

This is the least spurs move ever. Only way I see this happens is if Korea forgives Japan and also stops eating Kimchi.

Durant is a little B. He's a little B with a ring, though.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:33:00 am »
i can understand the bitterness cause i'm sure everybody wanted KD to go to their team and if GS can keep this team intact, they will continue to make trips to the finals every year.  i don't agree with the hollow championship though.  championship is a championship.  he played his minutes, contributed to the team, and beat a Cavs team that tore through the east in the playoffs.  i remember when malone went to the lakers chasing a ring, sure he wasn't in his prime but i didn't see him get all this hate.  i wish AI had left sooner to a contender, cause he probably would be remembered differently.  so i get what you're saying zola.  just irks me.  after awhile, these players have enough money where it becomes about titles.  i just dont think they should have to wait until they are past their prime to chase that title cause it might never come.

lebron to SA with CP3 with kawhi is going to be insane.  if kawhi hadn't gotten hurt, who knows what wouldve happen.  i'd be surprised to see lebron join a west conference team though.  the east provides an easier road to the finals.

The issue is not that Kevin Durant left OKC..he was a free agent and he could have gone anywhere. The issue is that he went to the team that beat him. When Lebron left Cleveland for Miami, he didnt go to the team that beat him, and he didnt go to a team that won 73 games in the regular season. Durant essentially rendered the rest of the NBA teams as pretenders, and this is going to be the case for some time

• chrislis90
  • Adventurer

• March 12, 2016, 09:47:08 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 11:33:05 am »
There's pretty much no way that both CP3 and Lebron will go to the Spurs. For CP3 alone to go there (assuming he wants the max contract) they would need to seriously gut their roster. Unless they're both willing to share less than half a max contract it won't happen. Also Lebron said he wants to be a team owner one day so he needs his max money.

Nevertheless, Lebron+CP3+Leonard would be an awesome matchup against the Warriors. Leonard takes Durant, CP3 takes Curry, Danny Green (if they can keep him and trade LMA instead) takes Thompson, leaving Lebron to roam on defence and occasionally guard Draymond. We can only dream.

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• December 01, 2015, 08:59:17 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 12:07:54 pm »
I don't know why people say Durant couldn't win a championship in OKC. They were up 3-1 and barring Klay Thompson going off, would've been in the Finals last year. It sucked to see a growing rivalry stop dead when he left.

Like the post above me said there's pretty much no way this happens. They'd have to leave a lot of money on the table.

A PG13 for Kevin Love trade needs to happen. They would match-up so much better with the Warriors defensively.

Off-topic, but it's a shame Kawhi went down in G1. That series would've been intriguing if he was healthy and they stole G1 in Oakland.
ESL in the ROK - 19 games for any lesson - simply enter your data/choose a lesson and play

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 12:38:09 pm »
Lol at people complaining about the Dubs being an unstoppable super-rich dynasty team. Up until a few years ago they were TERRRRRIBUUUUL, definitely one of the worst and poorest teams in the league. Give them a break.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 12:51:09 pm »
yeah kawhi was a beast.  hopefully he comes back better.  it's sad to see a player go out when he's such a huge difference maker.  i think that series wouldve been awesome if he hadn't got hurt. 

i could see CP3 taking less money to get a title. will it be possible for lebron and CP3 to end up in SA? probably not but it's cool to think about the possibilities. 

[/quote]

The issue is not that Kevin Durant left OKC..he was a free agent and he could have gone anywhere. The issue is that he went to the team that beat him. When Lebron left Cleveland for Miami, he didnt go to the team that beat him, and he didnt go to a team that won 73 games in the regular season. Durant essentially rendered the rest of the NBA teams as pretenders, and this is going to be the case for some time
[/quote]

Lebron still left cleveland to get titles. KD left OKC to get a title.  Where else would KD go to get a title? Cleveland, SA, Houston, Clippers?  im not arguing with the fact that GS just became the #1 team in the NBA for years to come (if they keep everyone together).  youre right about that.  im sure people will be rooting for them to lose every year just like when the pats were dominating the NFL or when the yankees went to the WS year after year.  it can make for a boring season when you think the outcome is already determined.  if KD goes to any of the teams listed about it would become a super team.  i just feel like KD is boned no matter what he does unless he stays in OKC. 

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 12:56:08 pm »
Lol at people complaining about the Dubs being an unstoppable super-rich dynasty team. Up until a few years ago they were TERRRRRIBUUUUL, definitely one of the worst and poorest teams in the league. Give them a break.

yeah they were poo poo not too long ago.  they drafted well, developed their players, and then got KD.  i can respect that.  all they need to do now is bring mully back for 1 season so he can get a ring too.  that would be awesome
8)