Read 22473 times

• zapata
  • Waygookin

• March 09, 2017, 09:15:38 am
    • Sejong
Scene It Game! (very fun for all grades)
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:20:52 am »
I made an ESL game based on Scene It DVD game, in which I show my kids a clip from a movie and then ask them 5 questions about it. This forces students to listen and pay attention to detail. It has been the best game so far, I did it for my second year middle school students, who aren't easy to please or entertain, but for the most part they love it (even the low-level students will pay attention to the clips so the class is manageable).

I tried to write the questions based on the target expressions learned in class but I wasn't too strict on that since we finished all the chapters for this semester a few weeks ago and my co-teacher just wanted me to play some games with them before we reviewed for the final. Either way, I prefer this because it exposes students to actual movies, conversations, and expressions.

If you click on the movie posters (in the slides before the questions) it'll link you to the YouTube video. Here's the link to my playlist (but I didn't use all the movies listed); https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpaP_fJhFN14yruPzj7y6jSO-DyMnQO2N

I'm attaching two of the same game, so feel free to change them as you need. Usually one 45-minute class will have time for 6 or 7 clips (but it depends on how long they are).

Anyways, I'm sure this game will be a hit for Elementary, Middle, and High school classes  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:36:01 pm by zapata »

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
Re: Scene It Game! (very fun for all grades)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:29:13 am »
This is awesome. I plan on using it for both my camp and English club, assuming students don't overlap much. But I can at least use it for multiple schools! Thanks for the hard work.

Do you by chance have the movie clips you used? Or could you give a reference to the time for each clip? I have some other movies in mind I could use, but it would take a while to prepare, as I'm not gifted in the ways of cutting video, plus I don't own the films (yet).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:38:22 am by gagevt »
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• zapata
  • Waygookin

• Sejong
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:08:50 pm »
If you click on the movie posters (in the slides before the questions) it'll link you to the YouTube video.

Sorry I should've explained that before.

In any case, here's the link to my playlist (but I didn't use all the movies listed); https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpaP_fJhFN14yruPzj7y6jSO-DyMnQO2N

:)

• Dhazaras
  • Veteran

• November 05, 2015, 08:16:05 am
    • jinju
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 02:24:21 pm »
This looks amazing!! Thank you so much!  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:36:48 am »
This is fantastic. Thank u.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 03:11:52 pm »
Looks great! I'll try it next week. 
I made a worksheet because some of my students pay attention better that way.  (only for game 1 so far)
Nothing special, just the questions copied over to a document.  Maybe someone else can use it.

[just some thoughts] www.amandaintheworld.com

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 01:55:55 pm »
I never write replies on anything, but this is so well made and so well done!!!

This is so great, I know my middle schoolers will love this. Thank you~~  :azn:

• lolraquel
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2016, 12:20:59 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »
This game was great! It worked wonderfully with my middle school after school class when I needed a quick extra game.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 07:48:14 am »
Wow!!! This is amazing. Thanks for all the hard work.

• zapata
  • Waygookin

• Sejong
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 08:39:34 am »
I'm so glad it helped so many of you! :azn:

It actually saved me too, when I was teaching a different class and my co-teacher told me to change the activity I had planned on the spot 

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 11:58:31 am »
Great game!

Here's a version with the videos directly embedded into the slideshow. Using Google Drive b/c it's 200MB & I don't wanna blast the waygook.org servers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B285_HiM9pEUNnNwRkJ1NGpfYVk

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 08:11:36 am »
Theses are marvelous!!
Looks hard work!!

Thanks so much for sharing with us!!

Kids will love it!

• no1really
  • Adventurer

• September 14, 2010, 02:37:15 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 11:46:34 am »
Great game!

Here's a version with the videos directly embedded into the slideshow. Using Google Drive b/c it's 200MB & I don't wanna blast the waygook.org servers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B285_HiM9pEUNnNwRkJ1NGpfYVk

That looks really nice, can you share how you embedded the video like that?

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 08:44:32 am »
In PPT, go to insert -> video, then choose a video file. There are options to have the video play by itself, play in full screen mode, etc.
I had to dl all the files first, then convert them to .wmv files because older versions of PPT don't work well with .mp4 files.

• no1really
  • Adventurer

• September 14, 2010, 02:37:15 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 12:54:44 pm »
In PPT, go to insert -> video, then choose a video file. There are options to have the video play by itself, play in full screen mode, etc.
I had to dl all the files first, then convert them to .wmv files because older versions of PPT don't work well with .mp4 files.

Great, thanks for explaining.

• zapata
  • Waygookin

• Sejong
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 03:42:39 pm »

Thanks for that! Is there a specific video editing software you use?

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 07:55:15 am »
I used to use Avidemux to convert to .avi, then Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 to convert to .wmv. I had to go through this complicated process because Avidemux can't convert to .wmv, while Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 doesn't work with .mp4 files. This results in low quality and big file sizes; neither of which are good but still workable.
Recently, I found a MUCH better program called Freemake Video Converter. Beware though as I'm 95% sure it installs crapware onto your computer as well, so I only use it at the work computer since I don't care about it; that and it has a ton of security software to block that stuff anyways. I haven't had any problems so far after using Freemake for 1+ months though so doesn't seem that bad to me.
Freemake has a much easier to use interface and converts directly from .mp4 to .wmv, while also hardcoding subtitles in if you have them (that's how I added the subs), resulting in higher quality videos than the method before since you're not converting twice. It also lets you queue videos compared to Avidemux, so you can do several videos all at once rather than one at a time. They'll add a 3 second splash to both the beginning and end of the video, which you can trim off on ppt.

• MattyC31
  • Waygookin

• February 02, 2015, 02:45:11 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 08:57:44 am »

Thanks for that! Is there a specific video editing software you use?

You can right click on the video and trim it right in PPT.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 01:33:31 pm »
Thank you for posting this.  ;D

For those who have played this in their middle school classes, did you just let whoever get the first correct answer get a point? Or, did you have them use whiteboards and each team can write an answer? Doing it that way allows everyone to participate, but might be harder to get a winner...IF they all know the answers.  :wink:

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »
I love this activity!

The way I handled it in sixth grade (just did the first one) was for each team to write their answers on a whiteboard.  I did four or five questions per scene.  Then after they answer ALL the questions, we checked them and gave a point for each correct.

I changed up some of the movies and dl'ed the clips to a folder so I'm not sure you want to go chasing them down.  Anyway, my three: REMOVED
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:01:30 pm by Mr C »