Read 1899 times

Phasing Out of GEPIK Jobs
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:50:51 pm »
So EPIK has been phasing out all the GEPIK jobs over the past few years and will completely change all GEPIK positions to EPIK by 2018. I was with a GEPIK school two years ago and had to move when that school changed to EPIK (it was a rule a couple of years back that GEPIK teachers had to leave the school). I was able to find another GEPIK school that kept me on for another year under GEPIK, but I'm pretty sure it will change to EPIK to complete the phasing out of all GEPIK jobs.

I'm wondering if anybody who's school was GEPIK last year, and now EPIK this year, was able to stay with their school. I'd love to stay at my current GEPIK school when it transitions into EPIK, but I'm going to have to apply for EPIK over the summer if that's not possible.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Re: Phasing Out of GEPIK Jobs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:18:25 am »
For me yes, I was at a GEPIK school that just had me sign a EPIK contract.  The "great new" thing about EPIK is you only get 5 renewal days and not 12.  Yeah I'm sooo happy about that. :rolleyes:  But otherwise I love my school, I get along with the my co-workers and the kids know what to expect of me and I know what to expect of them.  So I don't feel the need to uproot myself and I'm glad I wasn't asked to either.  However, yes I did hear that re-applying might be a possibility for some. Depends on the school. 

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:10:15 am »
The 5 renewal days is also in the GEPIK contract this year, not just EPIK so that would have happened to you anyway.
We had some arguments about that in our office since our previous contracts said that we'd get 12 if we renew.

Also, my city, Bucheon, is closing all it's GEPIK after school programs and possibly all other positions as far as I'm aware. There'll be no transition to EPIK just an end to the program here.

• Moonlight03
  • Explorer

• June 06, 2017, 01:27:38 pm
    • Gyeonggi, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:55:40 am »
Okay so more misinformation, according to our GEPIK guide for 2017 year, all of the Gyeonggi-do Provincial Office of Education funded schools will be phased into EPIK by 2018.

The city hall/private funded schools will be on their own. There could be some of the principals who ask the GPOE to be able to find their own teachers, I personally think this is better than the EPIK process. Granted they would focus on mainly teachers already in Korea, but they have a better chance of getting a better teacher.

The EPIK process leaves room for hiring the wrong people:
I heard from some people during the Spring 2017 orientation, some guy packed his bags and walked out without telling anyone, anything. I've heard about people walking out because they didn't like their location. At least with hiring in the country and through the school you have a better opportunity to see where you are living, plus you can find your own housing if you wish.

Hopefully, I will renew with my current school this year as it is in a rural area and not funded by the GPOE, but who knows, I do have a back up plan in place.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:32:11 am »
I am also with Gepik and have a related question. Will my experience with Gepik count if my school switches to Epik next year? Will they count my years of Gepik for a higher pay grade when/if I resign for same school or will they try to makeme start over in pay grade?

• stuman
  • Veteran

• May 13, 2011, 12:31:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:49:28 am »
As someone who has been phased out at 3 different schools, you learn to go with the flow and be flexible.