Read 1633 times

Will I be receiving my last months pay?
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:35:04 pm »
Hello,
My Hagwon is closing at the end of June before the end of my contract. I'm curious to know if my boss has a legal obligation to pay my last months salary. She isn't closing her Hagwon because of money trouble, but because she has to leave the country and the administrative staff doesnt want to take over. Does she still have a legal obligation to pay me?

Thank you

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
Re: Will I be receiving my last months pay?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:01:31 am »
Bwahaha!

Sorry.

Legally obligated. Yes. Will she? No. I very much doubt it. I have never, not once, heard of a hagwon going out of business making good on its promises of past-due salaries.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 01:22:08 pm »
as long as she gave you 30 days notice she will not be legally obligated for the last month of your contract where you won't work.  The school closing is a valid reason for termination....even at the 11th month.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 04:19:28 pm »
as long as she gave you 30 days notice she will not be legally obligated for the last month of your contract where you won't work.  The school closing is a valid reason for termination....even at the 11th month.

What I mean is, will I be paid for the time I worked between June 5th and June 30th?(The day the Hagwon closes)

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 06:33:13 pm »
Business closing; owner leaving the country... I would bet against.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 08:54:35 pm »
do you have reason to believe she wouldn't pay you? (Aside from the strange circumstances and what you've read here.)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 07:43:31 pm »
do you have reason to believe she wouldn't pay you? (Aside from the strange circumstances and what you've read here.)

I'm just a bit of a pessimist. I think if she has no legal obligation to pay me she won't because she isn't the type of person to do things out of kindness

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 08:00:46 pm »

I'm just a bit of a pessimist. I think if she has no legal obligation to pay me she won't because she isn't the type of person to do things out of kindness
red evil? (not sure why I am providing "helpful" advice to such an unsavory username)

OK, serious question, why chance it?

If it were me, I would simply let them know that if they would like me to work until the end of the month, they will have to deposit the money into a "trust" account.  If they refused, I would walk.

Simple as that.

I mean, do you wish to work a month for the possibility/likelihood of receiving nothing?  I know I wouldn't.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »

red evil? (not sure why I am providing "helpful" advice to such an unsavory username)

OK, serious question, why chance it?

If it were me, I would simply let them know that if they would like me to work until the end of the month, they will have to deposit the money into a "trust" account.  If they refused, I would walk.

Simple as that.

I mean, do you wish to work a month for the possibility/likelihood of receiving nothing?  I know I wouldn't.

I like this idea, but if it's someone who is truly intent on not paying you, (despite a legal obligation. Bankruptcy might be the only way she could legally be absolved of that obligation.) it probably wouldn't be convincing (Are you realistically going to walk out? Then what?) and might just sow mistrust between you. There aren't any good, clean options here that I can see.