Read 3140 times

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

• September 27, 2011, 01:01:39 pm
    • Gyeongsanbuk-do, South Korea
    more
F2 Visa - Long-term residency
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:47:34 am »
Hello~ So I have been looking into the F2 visa requirements and it seems there are a few ways you can obtain it. I read that one way is through the point system but another is if you have been here for at least 5 years (which I have). I am currently on an E-2 visa under EPIK. Does anyone have any experience or further knowledge about this? Is there anything in the EPIK contract that says we cannot do this? Thanks in advance!

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
Re: F2 Visa - Long-term residency
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 02:45:24 pm »
Thank you!

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 05:31:48 pm »

question: for the income part, does housing allowance get included in that? it's the difference of over vs under 31k. also severance
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:33:38 pm by macteacher »

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:48:25 am »

question: for the income part, does housing allowance get included in that? it's the difference of over vs under 31k. also severance
That's a good question, and I assume its before taxes right?

• gurudanny98
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:01:11 pm
    • Busan South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 09:51:50 am »
slightly off topic, but I noticed that this forum topic became very busy after this whole after school and international school fiasco went down.

I've also been  interested in the f2-99 visa. Once I hit the 5-year mark, they changed some of the rules. It became a higher yearly income mark. Some of my friends said that they aren't rules; just guidelines and it depends on the immi officer, so I should just go for it.
 I counted points for the f2-7 visa, but I can only score 68 (too old  I guess), so f2-99 is good for me...unless I magically get married to a Korean woman I'm always open to that, as well)

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:47 am »
slightly off topic, but I noticed that this forum topic became very busy after this whole after school and international school fiasco went down.

I've also been  interested in the f2-99 visa. Once I hit the 5-year mark, they changed some of the rules. It became a higher yearly income mark. Some of my friends said that they aren't rules; just guidelines and it depends on the immi officer, so I should just go for it.
 I counted points for the f2-7 visa, but I can only score 68 (too old  I guess), so f2-99 is good for me...unless I magically get married to a Korean woman I'm always open to that, as well)
Well according to a girl I know the marriage visa is also a hassle and a half to get and you still have to renew it yearly hehe  I am like 6 points away from being eligible for the F2-7 so I was looking into this as well.  Let us know how it goes for you if you apply! Not sure if I wanna take the social integration program....

but I guess even if its okay visa wise, the EPIK contact still says I cannot teach/work outside the POE. PS does that mean I cannot be making money in my own country? Like online or whatever? Just thoughts hehe

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:55:52 am »

I heard that immigration has also made it more difficult to qualify for the F-6 marriage visa (if marrying a Korean citizen). I think one of the changes is that immigration now requires a high TOPIK level, whereas in the past there was no TOPIK level requirement.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 10:59:58 am »
The TOPIK thing for a marriage visa is only if the couple can not communicate in a mutual langugae. It's aimed at marriage agency brides from 3rd world nations who can't speak a lick of Korean and whose husbands can't speak a lick of whatever else.
If, like most who will be reading this, your significant other speaks English at a decent enough level, then it's fine.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 11:02:03 am »
The TOPIK thing for a marriage visa is only if the couple can not communicate in a mutual langugae. It's aimed at marriage agency brides from 3rd world nations who can't speak a lick of Korean and whose husbands can't speak a lick of whatever else.
If, like most who will be reading this, your significant other speaks English at a decent enough level, then it's fine.

Hmm...okay.

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• south korea
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 01:33:55 pm »

Housing is included if you receive a rent stipend / housing allowance. It will show on the income documents you get from your school's administrative office. Your severance won't count, as that doesn't count as regular salary income.

this is so frustrating. i get housing allowance but it doesn't show up on my income documents. why does this country got to do things in round about ways

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 02:29:54 pm »
This could potentially be a really stupid question, but on the advantage points of F2, it asks about volunteer work. Is this only in Korea, or outside of Korea too? The other two parts specify, school in Korea and work experience outside of Korea.

Edit: Found a more recent bit of paperwork than what was on the expat site and it clarified, volunteer work in Korea.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:40:54 pm by HaLo3 »

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 12:47:07 pm »

Depending on your qualifications, doing a master's degree in Korea will likely add about 10 points from the academic qualifications, improved language ability (from TOPIK 1-2 up to TOPIK 4) and the studying in Korea experience. Completing KIIP also provides 10 bonus points. I know plenty of people who have this visa and language ability is key, as is having studied in the country.

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• south korea
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 12:53:00 pm »

Housing is included if you receive a rent stipend / housing allowance. It will show on the income documents you get from your school's administrative office. Your severance won't count, as that doesn't count as regular salary income.

this is so frustrating. i get housing allowance but it doesn't show up on my income documents. why does this country got to do things in round about ways

I'm not talking about your paystub. My housing allowance never showed on it at my previous school. However, ask your school accountant if he or she can provide you with your 근로소득원천징수영수증 and your 납세증명서. It'll definitely show up on one or both of those. You're supposed to be getting taxed on your housing allowance, and you most likely are getting taxed on your housing allowance, and so your housing allowance has to be counted as part of your taxable income, which means there's proof that you get it - you just need to find the relevant document. Go to your 행정실. It'll take like 5 minutes now that you know what documents to ask for.

i did went and get my 근로소득원천징수영수증 before i saw this message. housing allowance is def not on that, maybe it's on the 납세증명서. I'm not sure if i'm paying taxes on it tbh. because my contract that i checked over the weekend states "teacher is responsible for utilities, tax..." etc. i don't know i got to ask around.