Read 2984 times

• Skyehawks
  • Featured Contributor

• January 29, 2016, 08:36:35 am
    • South Korea
Letter or recommendation and proof of work experience
« on: June 08, 2017, 08:00:11 am »
So long story short, I am planning on reapplying to EPIK to try to get a job in Busan. But as a teacher already in Korea I need an updated letter of recommendation from my current school.

1st question: Who do I ask for one? And is there anything I need to specifically ask them to include; or are they probably used to this? Also who should write it? My coteacher? or someone higher up?

2nd: What exactly is proof of work experience? And how do I go about getting it?

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 11, 2016, 12:55:18 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, ROK
Re: Letter or recommendation and proof of work experience
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 08:58:25 am »
So long story short, I am planning on reapplying to EPIK to try to get a job in Busan. But as a teacher already in Korea I need an updated letter of recommendation from my current school.

1st question: Who do I ask for one? And is there anything I need to specifically ask them to include; or are they probably used to this? Also who should write it? My coteacher? or someone higher up?

2nd: What exactly is proof of work experience? And how do I go about getting it?

Your coteacher is the perfect person to ask. It's possible they may not have written one before, so I suggest providing them with examples. I personally wrote out a whole braggy refernce letter for myself in English for my coT to translate.

• mr
  • Veteran

• October 31, 2012, 07:47:33 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:20:59 am »
If you do get one , really try to get the school's stamp or letterhead or something official on the paper. When I left SMOE after 4 years my co teacher wrote me a nice letter of recommendation but the school would not put their stamp or letterhead on ...because...Korea.
Fast forward to a year later.
I recently applied for international schools and none of my three recruiters would accept my letter of recommendation because it has nothing official on it. I still live near my old school and went there one day to explain the situation and to try to get the school stamp on the letter. They still refused. I really don't understand this as I thought I left the school on good terms, but they just don't seem to want to help me at all.

So again, even if you think that you might not need it again, make sure to get something official. You might need it down the road.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:48:15 am »
Thanks for mentioning this, as too many often forget about these things when they start having a "pissing contest" at work.

• Skyehawks
  • Featured Contributor

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:28:41 am »
Nothing bad is going on between my school and I. This is my coteacher last year at my school. So I thought to try fresh somewhere else as well.

• Skyehawks
  • Featured Contributor

• South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:29:41 am »
Someone said talk to your coteacher. But are they the ones writing it? Or does it need to be written by principal or vice principal.

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 12:07:09 pm »
Someone said talk to your coteacher. But are they the ones writing it? Or does it need to be written by principal or vice principal.

In my case, my coteacher wrote it. But you'd do best to ask your recruiter or the position you're applying for. If they don't specify preference, then yes, ask your coteacher to write a reference for you.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 01:00:43 pm »

It's called "재직증명서" (certificate of employment). You can request it directly from your former school's administration office (an administration office staff member will prepare it for you) or you can ask your former co-teacher to request it on your behalf, if that's easier. It's an official document that will have the school's stamp on it. Keep in mind it's not free, though (or at least every time I've requested it from each of my former public schools, I've had to pay for it -- I always had to pay 300원 for it each time).

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:47:58 pm »

The office of education who you were employed with before can provide you with this document if you request it. I've seen it most commonly titled "고용 사실 확인서"

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 07:44:20 am »
i understand there's a difference between a letter of recommendation and the more official "certificate of employment", but something I've done with every co-teacher is ask them for a personal letter of recommendation after we're done working together. it's a small thing to do, but once you leave the school or the teacher takes a new position, it's hard to track them down and get it done. they've all said yes and most of them just let me write it and they signed their names and said it would be cool for any future employers to contact them. i have them all saved on my google drive to use for future jobs.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 07:47:28 am »

The office of education who you were employed with before can provide you with this document if you request it. I've seen it most commonly titled "고용 사실 확인서"

I was informed that this is a different document. This may be a new policy, but as of when I did this process in March, they want the other form from the school office of administration.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 11:00:29 am »
I was informed that this is a different document. This may be a new policy, but as of when I did this process in March, they want the other form from the school office of administration.

Yeah, in my experience, when a teaching job in Korea (especially public school programs such as EPIK, etc.) requests your "proof of teaching experience in Korea" to determine which pay scale you qualify for, they want you to submit "재직증명서."

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 09:54:18 pm »

Yeah, in my experience, when a teaching job in Korea (especially public school programs such as EPIK, etc.) requests your "proof of teaching experience in Korea" to determine which pay scale you qualify for, they want you to submit "재직증명서."

That document name works too if you are requesting it from your school's admin people. Either one will be accepted by EPIK; it's more about the information contained within it that is important as opposed to the title (full name, employer, period of employment, role, that the work was full time, has a signature/red stamp style thing if in Korea).

I work for an agency so I've assisted hundreds of people with EPIK apps, apps for offices of education directly, and some hagwons :)

Edit to revise spelling error
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:58:28 pm by m.corless »

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 11:10:30 pm »

That document name works too if you are requesting it from your school's admin people. Either one will be accepted by EPIK; it's more about the information contained within it that is important as opposed to the title (full name, employer, period of employment, role, that the work was full time, has a signature/red stamp style thing if in Korea).

I work for an agency so I've assisted hundreds of people with EPIK apps, apps for offices of education directly, and some hagwons :)

Edit to revise spelling error

Well I'm GEPIK, so that may be why the situation is different. I specifically asked my recruiter about the form from my office of education, and they specifically told me that was not the one they needed.

• stuman
  • Veteran

• May 13, 2011, 12:31:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 09:51:39 am »
A certificate of employment is proof that you did work there.

A letter of recommendation state whether you are a good teacher or not.

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 10:37:23 am »

1. ASk former CTs for ref letters )I wrote them all myself and had them sign it.)
2. Contact the MOE coordinator. You can get an official proof of employment letter. It will include the dates you worked for said MOE and your job description. You can have it mailed if you are still in Korea as well.