Read 5466 times

New Job In China
« on: June 08, 2017, 06:33:03 am »
Two weeks ago I had an online interview for a job teaching EFL at a local public
school in Shenzhen, China. About 2 days after the interview they accepted me for a
contract offer. I had 7 days to decide if I would take it or not, and so I did.  I accepted the contract offer to teach in Shenzhen.

I sent them the signed page of the contract so they can get going with the visa processing.
I was informed that the visa process will take 30 to 50 days. This means I will get the visa done anytime between the end of June or early to mid-July. My contract starts on August 28th.

I have been in Canada for 7 months since I left South Korea. I tried to get back into South Korea but China accepted me very quickly. I am a teacher by profession. I applied to more than 12 different school boards in Canada. Only one of them called me up for an interview from as early as March and April. I planned for the interview to be in August because I was faced with uncertainty concerning my health and the treatment I needed. But now that I got radiotherapy treatment, I will be finished with this treatment by June 16th. Because of that, I told that school in Northern Ontario, Canada that I will be available for an interview in late June. Plus another school board in Ontario, Canada called me up today for an interview. However I told them that I will not be available for the June 15th date because I have to do my radiotherapy treatment that day, not to mention the location of that place for the interview is a 6-hour drive away.

But why would I still go for an interview for a Canadian school board right now after I accepted an offer for a new job in China? Yes, I know I have to wait for a while until the visa process is done but should I still go for that interview here in Canada?

My cousin even told me from his opinion that I would be happier being in Shenzhen, China than I would being way up in Northwestern Ontario. Because you see, that little town in Northwestern Ontario has only 5,000 people, there is nothing there for me to do, (if I want to find something fun to do I would have to drive 500 km away), I won't have much of a social life, and the winters up there are brutal. If I go to Shenzhen, China I would not see any snow, there is a lot for me to see and do, more people to meet, I would be next door to Hong Kong, and the cost of living is cheaper. Northwestern Ontario does have way more cleaner air than China, but Shenzhen's air quality is not as bad as Beijing.

The money I will make in China will be worth a little less than what I earned in Korea, but I will keep 90% of my gross salary. The contract is 10 months in duration, but I will get to have 1 month for vacation in the middle of my contract. During that time I have to come back to Canada to see my doctor to make sure that I am in a good shape.

I thought I would never see myself getting accepted into China for work. But I will go boldly because I don't have fear of the unknown. I won't worry too much about food because I will get free breakfasts and lunches on Mondays to Fridays. I know that Chinese food tastes better than Korean food so that won't be a problem. But the fact that I am a vegetarian, I will not worry either because the food will be in buffet style, so if I see anything that's green I'll take it. I know that China is not a vegetarian/vegan friendly country so I will find a way to keep myself well fed.

As for transportation, not a problem. I've never been to Shenzhen, but I have been to Beijing and Hong Kong. I know that the public transportation system in Hong Kong is very good and so is Shenzhen. They both have connections at the border so that is not an issue for me. The best part of it is that I won't need a car at all!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:30:21 am by Foreverparadise »

• money55
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2011, 02:12:38 pm
    • south korea
Re: New Job In China
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:05:34 am »
Are you asking a question or are you just saying you got a job in China. Either way congrats.  Shezen China is nice as well. Guangdog is the largest province in China.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:01:48 am »
China is cool, the only thing is their visas take forever.

Hope you enjoy it.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 01:57:39 am »
Are you asking a question or are you just saying you got a job in China. Either way congrats.  Shezen China is nice as well. Guangdog is the largest province in China.

Thank You.

Having an interview does not guarantee that you will get the job.

But the question I have to ask is this: If my visa is taking a long while (30-50 days)
for processing, do you think it still makes sense for me to go for an interview for
a job here in Canada or ditch it?

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:28:33 pm »

UPDATE:

I was finally able to confirm an interview with that First Nations school board here in Canada. It's 6 hours of driving away but die to the time limits and the fact that I have to do my second last radiotherapy that day, they have decided to give me a Skype interview that morning. I have to be and I am very luck because normally Canadian school boards don't do that.

If I do get this job or any other teaching position in Canada, I hope they offer it to me way ahead of time before my visa processing is done. Because once I get an offer in Canada as early as now or early July, I can or will ditch the China contract and stay in Canada. But if not, I will go to China. And if I get that Z-visa in my passport and they offer me a job in Canada after that, I will still have to say to the Canadian school boards, "I'm sorry, but someone else has called me for a new mission."

The Contract in China starts on August 28th, let's wait and see what happens next.

• Conner42
  • Veteran

• May 13, 2016, 01:28:37 pm
    • Oklahoma City
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 02:29:47 pm »
Is this with Sea Dragon? The job description sounds a lot like you're working with Sea Dragon.

They eventually get things done but you need to have a lot of patience with them. So, you're probably going to get it if you're willing to wait. I think that's just a China thing in general, but you do need to be patient.

Do what you want, but just assume that they have everything in order and you'll get your visa documents eventually.
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 04:07:46 am »
Is this with Sea Dragon? The job description sounds a lot like you're working with Sea Dragon.

They eventually get things done but you need to have a lot of patience with them. So, you're probably going to get it if you're willing to wait. I think that's just a China thing in general, but you do need to be patient.

Do what you want, but just assume that they have everything in order and you'll get your visa documents eventually.

I will definitely be patient with them.

I just have to weigh the options because I now have 2 scheduled interviews with 2 different school boards in Canada coming up on June 15th via Skype, and on June 19th in Northern Ontario. I am supposed to schedule one more in Northern Ontario on the last week of this month, it's not confirmed yet. If all three of them do not accept me for a position, I will go to China. But if I am accepted for a position in Canada then I will be faced with a more difficult decision.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 05:28:07 am »

I will definitely be patient with them.

I just have to weigh the options because I now have 2 scheduled interviews with 2 different school boards in Canada coming up on June 15th via Skype, and on June 19th in Northern Ontario. I am supposed to schedule one more in Northern Ontario on the last week of this month, it's not confirmed yet. If all three of them do not accept me for a position, I will go to China. But if I am accepted for a position in Canada then I will be faced with a more difficult decision.

Ontario school divisions are so pickey and if you worked outside of Canada it's a hassle. Also if you were born in Central America or South America then your SOL!

Take the job in China!

• Aoisagi
  • Waygookin

• September 09, 2010, 11:48:23 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:24:13 am »
I'm currently in Shenzhen having also taught in South Korea for 2 years at a public school. I too am I certified teacher in Ontario. I've gone the same route as you two years ago. Came back from Korea, applied to teaching jobs in Canada but I sadly never even got called for an interview. I Googled Canadian international schools in China and found China has a large amount of Canadian recognized schools. I would suggest the next time you apply for teaching positions in China, you may want to consider international schools. Benefits are very good and students are usually pretty good. Plus you get that teaching experience (in my case using the Ontario curriculum) which you can take back home when you return to Canada. In public schools, and especially in Shenzhen, you'll have a ton of students (+50) in one class. I'm sure you'll have a Chinese helper though.

Do you know what district your school is in (Bao'an, Luohu, Nanshan etc.)? If you have any questions about Shenzhen, feel free to ask.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 01:23:10 am »

UPDATE:

So far I have completed my radiotherapy treatments since last week Friday (Woo Hooo)!

I went to my interview in Northern Ontario on June 19th, it went well and I was hoping for the best. But then today I got an email from them. I got rejected by that school board. Now I am waiting to hear from the other school in Northwestern Ontario, Canada which is much farther than where I was on June 19th. But somehow I feel as if I am leaning towards China.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 02:01:34 am »
I'm currently in Shenzhen having also taught in South Korea for 2 years at a public school. I too am I certified teacher in Ontario. I've gone the same route as you two years ago. Came back from Korea, applied to teaching jobs in Canada but I sadly never even got called for an interview. I Googled Canadian international schools in China and found China has a large amount of Canadian recognized schools. I would suggest the next time you apply for teaching positions in China, you may want to consider international schools. Benefits are very good and students are usually pretty good. Plus you get that teaching experience (in my case using the Ontario curriculum) which you can take back home when you return to Canada. In public schools, and especially in Shenzhen, you'll have a ton of students (+50) in one class. I'm sure you'll have a Chinese helper though.

Do you know what district your school is in (Bao'an, Luohu, Nanshan etc.)? If you have any questions about Shenzhen, feel free to ask.

I don't know which school in Shenzhen I will be teaching at yet. They are supposed to notify me anytime soon. In fact they said I am supposed to have a live Skype interview with any one of the potential schools. I don't know which district yet either.

As I said I was rejected by one of the Northern Ontario school boards after I did my interview with one of them. So I hope that China will be the opportunity for me to continue in my career by this September.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 04:13:53 am »

Last week Thursday, I got a call from a First Nations school board in North Central Ontario, Canada. They offered me a job. I told them that I accept this job offer.

So now I am looking down a fork in my life's road. Either I take the job in Shenzhen, China or I ditch the contract in China for the job at the First Nations school here in Canada.

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 05:15:50 am »
Given the choice between EFL classroom experience and homeroom teaching experience, I'd go for the transferable homeroom teaching experience and use that to score a job at an int'l school down the road. Instant gratificiation in Shenzhen vs. delayed gratification down the road.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 07:34:49 am »
Instant gratificiation in Shenzhen vs. delayed gratification down the road.

Resist the marshmallow.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 08:16:19 am »

Resist the marshmallow.
3rding this.  If the Canadian school isn't good, just suck it up for two-three years to get that experience as a licensed teacher.  Then hit up Int'l school recruitment agencies.  China has tons of international school jobs that give a hell of a lot more benefits than doing ESL in a public school.  If you so wish, you could even get other credentials and work in other subjects or even do admin.  Lots of room for professional growth.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 12:34:41 pm »

Resist the marshmallow.
3rding this.  If the Canadian school isn't good, just suck it up for two-three years to get that experience as a licensed teacher.  Then hit up Int'l school recruitment agencies.  China has tons of international school jobs that give a hell of a lot more benefits than doing ESL in a public school.  If you so wish, you could even get other credentials and work in other subjects or even do admin.  Lots of room for professional growth.

There are lots of International schools in Wuxi and Shanghai  that hire people with just BA's. These jobs are not really EFL/ESL jobs. You teach students that are already pretty fluent in English. You prepare them for the Cambridge English exams or the Singapore English exams. The majority of your students are from other Asian countries like Korea Taewon Singapore Malaysia. You have to keep on your toes these kids are pretty bright and their families have high standards. You can also teach non English classes such as Physics Mathematics and Science.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 01:34:03 am »
Given the choice between EFL classroom experience and homeroom teaching experience, I'd go for the transferable homeroom teaching experience and use that to score a job at an int'l school down the road. Instant gratificiation in Shenzhen vs. delayed gratification down the road.

The job at the First Nations school in Canada is a rotary teaching job, not homeroom. I will be teaching one subject.

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 03:00:03 am »

We have to stay on topic.

I was offered this job in China in May and I accepted the contract offer.

However this offer I got here in Canada came very sudden after I finished
my interview in Northwestern Ontario with a different school board. When this
First Nations School Board offered me the job I told them that I will accept it.
Why did I do this? Because if I stay at home in Canada I will be better off building
my career by staying here than going to teach EFL in China.

Most people who I chatted with including my family suggest that I should stay in
Canada for this job at the First Nations reserve. I am closer to home and
after what I had gone through with my health, I can get better health care
service in Canada than I would in China. Therefore, I will have to ditch the contract
in China to stay in Canada. I would really love to work in China, and yes even
teaching for an international school in another country is great. But seeing how
I got this job offer in Canada, I may want to consider staying in Canada, even though
that job is a 6 hours drive away from the greater Toronto area.

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 11:36:48 am »
Is it official then, are you staying in the great white frozen north?

• sweetkat
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 04:43:10 pm »
REgarding health care, not sure thats necessarily true. My husband has high blood pressure and in korea, they just gave him some medicine. Here they went through a whole series of tests to rule out any damage had been done by hypertension and to find out the correct medicine.  I doubt very much my homeland Canada is that thorough. Also if you are teaching where you are teaching how much access will you have to quality health care.  That being said working in Canada will give you more relevant experience for the future.   Best of luck