Read 1954 times

• reifoo87
  • Veteran

• June 04, 2013, 02:10:55 pm
    • South Korea
The crack down on E-2 visa holders!
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:06:48 pm »
Hi all! I was just looking for some clarification. I am currently working in a public school, on an E-2 Visa. I teach the regular English classes with my usual co-teachers but once a week I do a Daycare class (돌범), as it exceeds my contracted working hours, I am paid overtime for it. I am just wondering whether this is O.K. I have asked my handler and we have both assumed it's fine, however, I'd just like some concrete answers! Thanks very much for your time and help!

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
Re: The crack down on E-2 visa holders!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 12:23:06 pm »
What age are the students? If it's kindergarten it's not legal to teach them. Grades 1 and 2 are fine to teach if it's considered like an after school class (taught after lunch). It's also okay to teach the teachers at your school if it counts as overtime. It's mostly hagwons and after school programs (not just taking up one or two overtime hours, this is being hired by an outside company to teach after school programs at schools) that are getting raided. Some schools don't realize that you can't teach kindergarten classes at public schools so if it is kindergarten, then you should let them know that you can't legally teach it.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 12:29:17 pm »
Hi all! I was just looking for some clarification. I am currently working in a public school, on an E-2 Visa. I teach the regular English classes with my usual co-teachers but once a week I do a Daycare class (돌범), as it exceeds my contracted working hours, I am paid overtime for it. I am just wondering whether this is O.K. I have asked my handler and we have both assumed it's fine, however, I'd just like some concrete answers! Thanks very much for your time and help!

It's illegal what you are doing! Best case scenario you don't get caught. Worst case scenario you get fined and deported but can't pay the fine and end up in jail!

Your choice you know it's illegal now and if you don't quit now you are knowingly breaking the law and can't use I didn't know as an excuse!

Have a good day :)

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 01:02:01 pm »
Simply put. Do not teach Kindergarten, Grade 1 and 2 during regular school hours (approximately 8:30 to 13:00). After school classes with these students are fine (I would avoid teaching kindergartners entirely because the legal lines there are super blurry).

Receiving overtime for after school classes (approximately 13:00-17:00) is perfectly fine.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

• reifoo87
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 01:03:14 pm »
What age are the students? If it's kindergarten it's not legal to teach them. Grades 1 and 2 are fine to teach if it's considered like an after school class (taught after lunch). It's also okay to teach the teachers at your school if it counts as overtime. It's mostly hagwons and after school programs (not just taking up one or two overtime hours, this is being hired by an outside company to teach after school programs at schools) that are getting raided. Some schools don't realize that you can't teach kindergarten classes at public schools so if it is kindergarten, then you should let them know that you can't legally teach it.

Oh, that's good to hear. It's a grade 1 and 2 class! It's not an after School program, as all the paperwork states otherwise. Thank you so much for clarifying and offering examples. I appreciate it!

• reifoo87
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 01:04:36 pm »
Simply put. Do not teach Kindergarten, Grade 1 and 2 during regular school hours (approximately 8:30 to 13:00). After school classes with these students are fine (I would avoid teaching kindergartners entirely because the legal lines there are super blurry).

Receiving overtime for after school classes (approximately 13:00-17:00) is perfectly fine.

Perfect. It's grade 1 and 2 and classes finish well before 17:00. Thank for all your help! :)

• reifoo87
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 01:11:28 pm »

It's illegal what you are doing! Best case scenario you don't get caught. Worst case scenario you get fined and deported but can't pay the fine and end up in jail!

Your choice you know it's illegal now and if you don't quit now you are knowingly breaking the law and can't use I didn't know as an excuse!

Have a good day :)

I appreciate your reply. However, giving some reference to your reasons for claiming it's illegal would be nice. You have a great day, too! Thanks again for sharing your opinion. :)

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 01:19:33 pm »

...you know it's illegal now and if you don't quit now you are knowingly breaking the law and can't use I didn't know as an excuse!
Not that ignorance of the law is any protection, what with all that happened to those International school teachers who got tossed out of country. That was some pretty heartless law enforcement.  :sad:

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 01:34:37 pm »

Oh, that's good to hear. It's a grade 1 and 2 class! It's not an after School program, as all the paperwork states otherwise. Thank you so much for clarifying and offering examples. I appreciate it!

Okay you're fine then, that's just a regular overtime class that's after lunch. Kindergarten is just a weird case because a lot of them are registered as a different school (even if it's attached or in the same school) so if you teach the kids its technically a workplace you're not registered to work at. But 1s and 2s are fine to teach as long as it's after lunch (when it counts as an after school class, not to be confused with an after school program).

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 01:54:23 pm »

Okay you're fine then, that's just a regular overtime class that's after lunch. Kindergarten is just a weird case because a lot of them are registered as a different school (even if it's attached or in the same school) so if you teach the kids its technically a workplace you're not registered to work at. But 1s and 2s are fine to teach as long as it's after lunch (when it counts as an after school class, not to be confused with an after school program).

100% agree
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

• reifoo87
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »

100% agree

Thanks so much! I feel much better now!  ;D ;D ;D