Read 957 times

  • Skyehawks
  • Featured Contributor

    • 166

    • January 29, 2016, 08:36:35 am
    • South Korea
United States Teaching certificate
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:34:42 pm »
As the title implies. I have a teaching license/certificate for the state I graduated from. But it is coming up for renewal next year. Has anyone with one successfully renewed the license from the states from Korea?

If so how hard was the process, and how did you do it?

  • Pecan
  • The Legend

    • 3769

    • December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
Re: United States Teaching certificate
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 04:37:47 pm »
It totally depends on your state.

That is where you should start.

  • hippo
  • Veteran

    • 154

    • July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
Re: United States Teaching certificate
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 06:42:18 pm »
I did it by going through a crappy online university for (I think 6 credit hours).  Your state should have a guide that you can download from the department of education.

Re: United States Teaching certificate
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 02:55:20 pm »
Really, it all depends on where you live and the requirements to renew the certificate. It doesn't really matter what university you got it from - it just depends on the state you hold that certificate for.

For example, my certificate is from Florida. I luckily renewed my certificate before I came here (has to be renewed every 5 years) and the process is very simple. I could have honestly done it from outside of the country too as it was all done online. In Florida, you have to do Professional Development which equates to points. As long as you have 120 points by the end of the 5 years (there was also a requirement for having a certain number of points for ESE - again, just another state requirement), then you just send in the form required and they issue the new certificate. Florida does not do paper copies anymore, so mine was given to me electronically through the FDOE website.

Look up your state's department of education website and look in to the requirements. As you can see, my requirements were much different it seems than the poster above me.

You should easily be able to do it from Korea or just have someone back home help you out a bit if something needs to be mailed.