Read 1973 times

• jimwall5
  • Veteran

• March 03, 2014, 07:49:56 pm
    • Korea
School birthday contract question
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:01:53 pm »
Basically my school has a birthday soon and the teachers are all getting a vacation day for it. I've been told I should come in or I can use one of my summer vacation day. I checked my contract to see whether I am entitled to it, but found only the attached section. It is kind of vague "May allow", but just wanted to double check on whether anyone thinks it's worth bringing up and see if they can allow me the day off without taking my summer vacation day.
I'm with Epik by the way.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
Re: School birthday contract question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:08:36 pm »
Double bluff time.

No staff will be coming to school that day, i'm 99% sure of that. Politely inform them that you will be in school as normal that day. They will be doing this to you for insurance purposes. Your Principal will be aiming for promotion, and not wanting to risk injury to their waygookin off site without an official paper trail.....

Or just suck up -1 of your vacation days......

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:11:02 pm »
I've always been given the school's founding day off without having to use a vacation day.  But, reading the clause it does have the word "may" in there.  So, according to that I would say it looks as if it's up to your employer.  And your employer is being stingy.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:13:09 pm »
Up to your principal. Unfortunate he's being silly about it.

Just go in and look at the internet/read a book/play on your laptop all day. Or if you have any great plans lined up, take the vacation day.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:13:44 pm »
Unfortunately it is up to the discretion of your principal. At my first public school, I had the day off because they decided to completely close the school for that day. At my current school, I had to use a vacation day. It's not a national holiday or anything like that, so it doesn't count as an automatic free day off. They aren't obligated to give us a free day if there's the option of you being there, but they can if the principal is chill like that.

• jimwall5
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:15:35 pm »
My VP will most definitely be here. She was last year too and I had to stay in the same office. I think I'd rather just keep the day for my summer vacation.
No great plans. I kind of knew the answer to the question, and also I don't want to rock the boat at my school. Anyway just a little frustrating.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 12:16:09 pm »
Silly question, but does the birthday fall on a weekend?
Nah. Each public school gets one optional holiday per year (semester?) on a normal working day. Most principals use it on a sandwich day between a holiday and weekend (to make Chuseok, Seollal or this year's extended May holidays into one giant extended long weekend).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:18:48 pm by SaintsCanada »

• jimwall5
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:20:59 pm »
The birthday changes every year I think, as SaintsCanada said, they want to use it on a sandwich day.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 01:09:12 pm »
Silly question, but does the birthday fall on a weekend?
Nah. Each public school gets one optional holiday per year (semester?) on a normal working day. Most principals use it on a sandwich day between a holiday and weekend (to make Chuseok, Seollal or this year's extended May holidays into one giant extended long weekend).

You mentioned it correctly up above as it does depend on the principal.  I've had schools where the holiday falls on a weekend and they don't bother allowing a holiday at any time.  This year, my school's birthday is on Saturday 10th June, so the principal is making next Monday a filler holiday, the only problem is I will go with my activity students to Seoul, so apparently I will get paid extra because it will be a holiday for other teachers.  That said, IF the principal is making the OP take a holiday it is because the other teachers can take the cop out that is 41조, which gives the Korean teacher a record load of free holiday.

At most schools, it's not actually an 'anniversary' or 'birthday', it's a 기념. And it's not done on any specific date, just whatever fits best on the calendar each year.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 01:30:51 pm »
I don't get it.

Why can't you simply log on to NEIS and select that option and be done with it?

Why does your principal have it out for you?

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 01:49:52 pm »
I don't get it.

Why can't you simply log on to NEIS and select that option and be done with it?

Why does your principal have it out for you?

Some principals are just dicks maybe?

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 01:51:45 pm »
Ha ha, Pecan suspects there is more to this story you're not telling us.  And I liked the subtle passive-aggressive question about not being able to take care of it on NEIS.  Psst...he's hoping you won't understand what he's referring to so he can hope he looks on top of it in comparison.

Actually, this run of the mill comment from Pecan was far less doom and gloom than usual.  He must be only having a slightly terrible day.  Usually he would've responded along the lines  with something like...

"I would be much less concerned about the day off and more concerned about keeping your job and how you're going to need to get all of your documents together ASAP.  Clearly your school has some serious issues with you if they're treating you so poorly. 

I hope it all works out for you"

• CJ
  • Super Waygook

• November 15, 2010, 08:11:00 am
    • Down south
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 02:43:50 pm »
The paid vacation days are stated in your contract. X amount of days off for summer and winter plus national holidays.

All other days off like the school's birthday and "sandwich days" such having the Monday off as Tuesday is a public holiday is all up to your vice principal or principal. If they say no, you either have to suck it up and deskwarm or take it as a paid holiday, which means you're down one day from either summer or winter.

You need to play the game as much as possible; eat your kimchi, bow and play volleyball and get your co-teacher to ask the VP; can Mr/ Miss X work from home.

So far it's been a yes for me at least.

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 03:00:15 pm »
either your principal is being a dick or they just don't know that contract teachers can actually take days like that off - if the principal says so. in my experience at least some cases are the latter.

there's actually a category on NEIS for it that contract teachers can use. 'work from home', or 기타 (miscellaneous) or something like that. not just NETs but all contract teachers.

politely point it out to your coteacher and ask her to broach the subject with your principal. if after being informed that he can allow you to take the day off, and that there's a category on NEIS for it he still declines, then he's just being a dick.

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 03:53:50 pm »
Is this in pyeongtaek?

Your principal is a piece of sh#@ but unfortuantely if he doesnt wanna give u that day off and expect u take a vacation day you have no choice.

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 04:28:07 pm »
my principal let me do the work from home.  i would have to write a paper about how im trying to be a better teacher

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 04:54:41 pm »
either your principal is being a dick or they just don't know that contract teachers can actually take days like that off - if the principal says so. in my experience at least some cases are the latter.

there's actually a category on NEIS for it that contract teachers can use. 'work from home', or 기타 (miscellaneous) or something like that. not just NETs but all contract teachers.

politely point it out to your coteacher and ask her to broach the subject with your principal. if after being informed that he can allow you to take the day off, and that there's a category on NEIS for it he still declines, then he's just being a dick.
That's it.

Thanks.

Enjoy your 4 day weekend :)