Read 1560 times

Monday morning quarterback coteacher
« on: May 30, 2017, 12:52:40 pm »
I am just curious if anyone else deals with what I call the Monday morning quarterback co teacher style? I have a co teacher that wanted me to write a few questions from the chapters in the book.  I tried to get her to tell me PRECISELY what kind of questions she wanted, but it was a bit vague. She wanted me to make my own questions and indicated to me I had freedom to make my own questions ( But I know better ) . I made them and I wanted to see some of them to see if I was on the right track but she would tell me that she wanted more questions. No attempt to save me time or guide me to what she wanted. She wanted them all finished in order to look at them. Anyways, I finished the entire thing and then she isn't happy with any of them. She then proceeds to rewrite the questions. What in the hell!? Wouldn't it be easier to just do that from the beginning!?

I spent about 5 or 6 writing and rewriting the most basic questions you could possibly imagine. The book material is super basic. I then tried to test something. I take a prompt from the book and put it in a question. Sure enough she doesn't like it and I instantly show her in the book where this is. I didn't write the book, but if I try to break away from these awkward phrases but she will just say " I'm not familiar with that " . Anyone else deal with this type of person who doesn't give feedback but then loves to nitpick because you didn't do things the way they wanted?

Re: Monday morning quarterback coteacher
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:06:30 pm »
Yes, it's not uncommon here unfortunately. It's unlikely she has any justifiable complaint against your work; her problem is probably with you. Don't exhaust yourself trying to please her because she's decided you never will.

My advice is to keep it professional and save all your resources. If she complains about you to anyone else point them to the work you've produced for class.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:11:49 pm »
Yes, it's not uncommon here unfortunately. It's unlikely she has any justifiable complaint against your work; her problem is probably with you. Don't exhaust yourself trying to please her because she's decided you never will.

My advice is to keep it professional and save all your resources. If she complains about you to anyone else point them to the work you've produced for class.

It's not that bad. We get along great, but she has an annoying habit of wanting me to do things my own way only to turn around and just want it the way she wants it. It reminds me of my gf.

ME: What do you want for dinner:
GF: It doesn't matter to me. Whatever you want.
Me: Chicken?
GF: No
ME: Chinese?

/rage

• flyingspider
  • Super Waygook

• February 27, 2016, 08:33:47 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:17:07 pm »
Sounds like how my coteacher always asks me to find an activity (because she is just so busy sitting there doing nothing), then rarely likes anything I find or create. If you don't like anything why don't you do it yourself? Getting them to give you information is like pulling teeth sometimes. Sorry I have no advice!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:33:49 pm by flyingspider »

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:02:22 pm »

True this. 2016 was pretty much the worst year of my life for this very reason. I could've saved myself A LOT of misery if I had just humbled myself and gone with it. Instead I dug my heels in - and the rest is history, I guess. Never underestimate your co-t's ability to **** your shit up. 

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 02:42:10 pm »
Standard operating procedure for many Koreans. Some teachers are true professionals who believe in team-work and efficiently designing good lessons. Some just want you to respect their authority -- to them that's more important. Particularly the older generation or more conservative thinking people.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 02:48:57 pm »
This face is useful to make around Koreans when they do this.

>:(

I could be reading too much into this, but I think a lot of new teachers here come here and see the Korean teachers kneeling and bowing and smiling to their superiors, and assume that this is how we should act to our co-teachers, who are usually some random 5th grade homeroom teacher or 23 year old just out of teaching college or whatever, not someone high up the hierarchy at the school. Also in the West we are used to getting constant neutral feedback from our co-workers and superiors, also we are expected to take negative feedback well whereas in Korea they tend to dance around it and try to avoid offending anyone.

I was a little guilty of this my first year, I'd always ask my co-workers for advice on everything I did. By my second year I realized nobody cared and I just did my own thing and everyone ignored me.

Good luck, some Korean teachers are just meddlers or try too hard to look important, same as in every country.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 02:49:53 pm »

It's not that bad. We get along great, but she has an annoying habit of wanting me to do things my own way only to turn around and just want it the way she wants it. It reminds me of my gf.

/rage

I found the best way to deal with it is much the same way you deal with your girlfriend situation.

Instead of: what do you want for dinner?
 Say

What do you want for dinner? I'm up for Chinese, BBQ or sushi?

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 02:50:28 pm »
yeah i can relate. especially to the girlfriend thing, mine's the same way  :laugh:

this year i have a coteacher i call the ABA teacher.

if i do A she'll tell me i should do B instead. then when i do B the next week she'll tell me i should have done A instead. then when i point out to her that last week i did A and she didn't like it and told me to do B which is exactly what i've done, i'll just get something like "oh i would never say that, i don't like that activity".

cue an endless loop of this since February.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 02:53:58 pm »
I found the best way to deal with it is much the same way you deal with your girlfriend situation.

Instead of: what do you want for dinner?
 Say

What do you want for dinner? I'm up for Chinese, BBQ or sushi?

This man speaks the truth.

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• September 13, 2010, 08:21:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »

/rage

Reminds me of a certain youtube vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz9DO_WJwVs