Read 1465 times

• minji94
  • Adventurer

• December 25, 2016, 01:00:18 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
Should I renew/extend my E2 Visa or get a D-10?
« on: May 26, 2017, 02:13:52 pm »
My contract ended on May 7th but my ARC expires June 6th so I stayed in Korea to interview for new jobs and apply for a visa. I got an appointment with immigration on May 31st and I was originally going to apply for a D-10 Visa, since I'm taking a break in America for a month (I got a round trip ticket to US June 2 and back to Korea July 7), which was a risky move but anyways...  I just got hired and am supposed to start working when I come back in July.

My recruiter is telling me to extend my E2 visa and I got all the documents from the school to do so. However I'm just worried that there will be some problem at immigration and they will ask me to come back again. If I'm going that route, I can't tell them that I'm leaving for a trip to America on June 2 because you're supposed to be working if you get the E2 extension. My new school put a fake date in the contract (May 25) so I can extend my E2 visa but I don't know if this is really safe.

On the other hand, I can apply for the D-10 Visa but my only concern about that is that I have an address verification form with my former coworker's address and signature, but someone on the immigration hotline said that I would need a copy of her housing contract as well. Is this true? Because she can only get a copy of that from our former boss, but she declined to give us a copy.

So which way would be safer?? My mind is telling me the D-10 is but my recruiter is pressuring me to extend the E2.
Thanks!!!

Re: Should I renew/extend my E2 Visa or get a D-10?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:57:24 pm »
I almost had to go through this situation last year, I would get a D-10 because when you extend the E2  from what told you will not be able to renew it when you find another job.

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:29:05 pm »
The D10 is usually the best way to go, but I'm not sure if there is enough time for it to process if your appointment is on May 31st and you want to leave Korea for a trip to the US on June 2nd.

What your recruiter is saying sounds confusing. You can easily extend your current E2 for a month with just the forms at immigration. Then when you get back in July you can apply for the new E2 with the new sponsor/employer.

I would go the second route and just get an extension so that it's figured out before you leave.

• minji94
  • Adventurer

• December 25, 2016, 01:00:18 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:34:54 pm »
Lol, I wasn't able to get either visa. The officer demanded an actual housing contract despite my persistence, also he said that even if I do get one I can't travel on the D-10 at all. I told him that I heard it was possible to travel with a receipt of the visa and a Certificate of Alien Registration, but he was just like nope. God. And for transferring my E2 visa, I would have had to make the appointment in Seoul which there was no time left for.
Thankfully, my recruiter told me that I can make a new E2 visa in the US without having to do everything all over again since I am returning to Korea within 90 days of my visa expiration. I would have opted to do that in the first place if I knew it was possible! What a headache. Thanks for the advice anyways guys!