Read 5773 times

• francois
  • Adventurer

• May 02, 2011, 12:50:49 pm
    • Incheon
UNISA students
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:49:57 am »
Is there anybody in Korea at the moment who is studying at UNISA? I'm new and would like to know the best way to get to the examination centre at the South African Embassy?

• DaniM
  • Waygookin

• April 07, 2011, 11:09:59 am
    • Seoul
Re: UNISA students
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:12:42 am »
I don't have an answer for you.  Sorry to hijack the thread.

I've emailed UNISA three times and am yet to get a response of any kind (other than with a reference number telling me they're going to get back to me shortly).

I am interested in doing my PGCE through UNISA but have noticed some small print that practicals have to be done in SA.  Are the other UNISA students who are doing their PGCEs flying home for their practicals?  or is there a way around this?

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:23:29 am »
Your practicals for the PGCE through UNISA have to be done in SA.  There's no way around it - even in SA, they're strict about the requirements for the practicals. 

As for the exam centre, I don't know where it is exactly but the SA Embassy is not far from Gyeonbokgung Palace and the Sejong Performing Arts Centre.

• Castielle
  • Featured Contributor

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:28:49 am »
Hi Francois.

I'm not currently studying through Unisa, but friends of mine do. I will find out for you and let you know how it works. Your question however is about the examination centre? I know that you can write your exams at some police stations. I know of people that were studying through correspondence at North West University in Potchefstroom and had to write their exams at a police station.

@DaniM : I would just phone them and find out. Taking into account the thousands of students they have in SA, not to mention international students, it may take a while for them to actually email you back.
when in Rome.. Die eind resultaat moet die moeite werd wees!

• DMZ
  • Super Waygook

• December 16, 2010, 08:34:43 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:49 am »
Join this group on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_200675723276280&ap=1

The embassy is in Hannam-dong, Seoul. It's probably best to take the subway or get on a bus to Gangnam and go from there.

We are looking into a way to get around the practicals requirement. You have to submit a portfolio to prove you have extensive teaching experience, though this will probably have to be in the subjects you choose as your school subjects.

Also, FYI, it's about an extra R800 per module to study out of SA through UNISA.

• adlez
  • Veteran

• November 25, 2010, 10:24:15 am
    • Suwon
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:37:20 am »
I am also studying through UNISA and it is quite easy to get there from Suwon...I take the train to Youngsan and from there the subway to Hannam..just show the taxidriver the Korean directions you get from the Embassy website.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 09:59:14 am »
I would also like to do a PGCE through UNISA here. My question is though, can you do the theory component here and then goback to SA and finish the rest there?

Also, I am sorry for the hijack...its a Saffa thing...:P

• francois
  • Adventurer

• May 02, 2011, 12:50:49 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 10:00:26 am »
They told me that I have to do the practicals in SA. I just wanted to know about the subject with the exams around the corner. But thanks

• harajuku
  • Explorer

• September 03, 2010, 08:32:27 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:29:45 am »
Real easy!

Get on Seoul line 1, stop at Yongsan station. Transfer to the Jungang line (light blue 1).
Get off at Hannam station.

You can walk to the embassy from there, but on your first time take a cab up!

• DMZ
  • Super Waygook

• December 16, 2010, 08:34:43 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:57:08 am »
I would also like to do a PGCE through UNISA here. My question is though, can you do the theory component here and then goback to SA and finish the rest there?

Also, I am sorry for the hijack...its a Saffa thing...:P
You can do the theory here no problem. You can do your subject and learning area didactics here but you must do the matching practicals at home.