Read 6881 times

Re: Anxiety at work
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 08:51:54 am »
Have you considered smoking, it's great for anxiety :)

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 08:57:35 am »

It's the office part of this job (and any other job) that I hate. I'm a total introvert and have struggled with social anxiety my whole life. Since classes occupy a little under half of my timetable, I spend the rest of my time at my desk, in a constant state of tension.  I've just started at a new school (high school) with a massive teacher's room, and have colleagues swarming, stomping and talking around me 24/7. I'm not sure why this makes me so uncomfortable... probably because I feel conspicuous, like I'm being monitored the whole time.

My advice- buck the f up. Get strong or die.

Let your work speak for itself. Do good work. That's the only thing you can do. Whatever happens after that is stuff that is outside your control.

If always happens, not much I can say that would help. Maybe a professional. Maybe some pills or some other brain crap.

The only other thing i could say is be aggressive in terms of focusing and accomplishing goals. When you're busy and doing stuff you don't have time to think about inner feeling bullshit.

OP, I would listen to him, if I were you. This man is a former psychologist, after all.  He also had a good record.  Only half of his patients have commited suicide after seeing him.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:52 am »
Have you considered smoking, it's great for anxiety :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2965408/Why-s-no-thing-calming-cigarette-Smokers-70-suffer-anxiety-depression-quitting-reverse-damage.html
Smokers are around 70 per cent more likely to suffer from depression and anxiety, a study has revealed.

• gir0002
  • Adventurer

• March 07, 2016, 08:22:29 am
    • 안성
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 10:00:46 am »
This is my second year here and I am feeling it like heaps as well. I love this job and working with the children as well but my school is extremely tiny so I am expected to teach alone. The teachers don't stay in the office but we instead stay in our own classrooms so I can go days without saying anything more than a greeting to other teachers. Even at lunchtime the homeroom teachers sit with their class and the office staff and principal/vice all eat lunch early so I usually sit and eat lunch at the teacher's table alone and occasionally with the PE teacher. This is very different from last year where I was super close with my co teacher and he always came to check if I was okay and I always ate lunch with him but he has since moved schools. It's quite a big change.
I have also dealt with social anxiety in the past and I definitely do feel it during social situations with the other teachers. One of the hardest things for me is when we have staff dinners. I don't drink at all as well. I can speak Korean enough to carry a conversation and talk about my opinions and about myself but I don't find it easy to just start conversations with them, especially with a huge age gap. I'm only 22. During the staff dinners, I generally just eat and make sure I'm kind of busy looking so they don't feel guilty. There is only like 3 teachers who can speak English and they're usually busy drinking with the other teachers so I usually sit with the teachers who are not drinking and sometimes they talk with me but especially when there's no food and everyone is like going crazy from the hype and alcohol, I am generally just sitting there waiting for it to finish.
I do think it would help to build more of a relationship with other teachers. Even though it's still quite bad for me, it has been worse before I got closer with some of the teachers and they realized they could talk to me in Korean.

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 10:13:48 am »

OP, I would listen to him, if I were you. This man is a former psychologist, after all.  He also had a good record.  Only half of his patients have commited suicide after seeing him.

I already recommended going to see some shrink who will string him along for 100 bucks an hour and pop him full of pills. I'm not a professional, go see one. Why not? At least you might get some pills you can sell to idiots and use the money to go and take a vacation. Or you can take the pills and maybe the chill you out. Or maybe they cause you to wet the bed or shit yourself at work and increase your anxiety. Or maybe you actually luck out and get a good therapist who helps you. Whatever, it's your life.

Whatever. Ignore my advice and live the life of someone permanently a victim or mentally ill.  Go ahead and listen to these people saying "I'm just like you. I understand your pain." and all the empty ideas they give. I'm sure that will fix the problem.

Hey maybe 1/10 of them might understand your pain AND actually have worthwhile advice beyond generic statements and viewing this as a time to share their story rather than address your problems.

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 10:26:25 am »

My advice- buck the f up. Get strong or die.

Let your work speak for itself. Do good work. That's the only thing you can do. Whatever happens after that is stuff that is outside your control.

If always happens, not much I can say that would help. Maybe a professional. Maybe some pills or some other brain crap.

The only other thing i could say is be aggressive in terms of focusing and accomplishing goals. When you're busy and doing stuff you don't have time to think about inner feeling bullshit.

Jeez I kinda agree with the basics of your advice but your delivery is garbage. Dude just needs to know he's not alone in a strange country and different work culture. There's a time for tough love but this ain't it. Maybe you've been a robot for so long that you've forgotten what it's like to converse with the humans. Get your programming checked, buddy. :rolleyes:

And like seriously, aren't you the guy who's always telling everyone to put themselves in the other person's shoes?! It's good advice. Take it.

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 10:27:46 am »

Hey maybe 1/10 of them might understand your pain AND actually have worthwhile advice beyond generic statements and viewing this as a time to share their story rather than address your problems.

Disagree with most of what you say, apart from this. This is waygook in a nutshell. 

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 10:55:51 am »

Except that the OP specifically asked if anyone is going through the same thing as them. Which is inviting others to share their stories.

Also, not sure why everyone is hating on therapy. It can do a lot of good for certain people. I'm not saying everyone benefits from it but some people certainly do and shouldn't be shamed for seeking help. Also, not all therapists give out medication. Mental illness can be treated in other ways.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:21:46 pm by wanderlust8 »

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 02:16:09 pm »
Get strong or die.

What is this? Hunger games?  :laugh:

Happy to report my mental state improved dramatically after starting this thread. The principle gave me a high five at the door this morning (no jokes). Maybe he reads the forum...

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 04:19:29 pm »
Get strong or die.

What is this? Hunger games?  :laugh:

Happy to report my mental state improved dramatically after starting this thread. The principle gave me a high five at the door this morning (no jokes). Maybe he reads the forum...

Glad to hear it. Being strong means being strong in terms of your will and mental state.

Remember, whatever bullshit you're facing at work, it's all pretty minor stuff in the grand scheme of things. You're fine and go and enjoy life. You've only got one life and no use spending it worrying about the bullshit. Say hi to your principal every day, even if its only for 30 seconds or a friendly wave. Will help set your mind at ease.

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 12:24:05 pm »
The principle gave me a high five at the door this morning

I was feeling pretty good about our relationship, especially when he sat opposite me at lunch today. Then he pointed out I was using the wrong end of my chopsticks  :-[ fml

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 12:37:45 pm »

I was feeling pretty good about our relationship, especially when he sat opposite me at lunch today. Then he pointed out I was using the wrong end of my chopsticks  :-[ fml

Well, at least you can only go up from there.

How is that even possible?

I'll be asking myself the same thing for years to come

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 12:44:06 pm »

Well, at least you can only go up from there.

How is that even possible?

I'll be asking myself the same thing for years to come

This made me spit my coffee out. So glad I am not the only one that has these entirely epic fail moments  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

• Taal
  • Veteran

• July 31, 2016, 06:33:12 pm
    • Los Angeles, US
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 11:31:21 am »
so I can go days without saying anything more than a greeting to other teachers

My sympathies, I've been in that situation.

Working with lots of other staff has always been important to me. Its hard to keep a good morale if you are left too much alone the whole time.

Looks like you'll have to make extra effort to build networks outside of work.

• jffjp
  • Adventurer

• August 16, 2016, 08:28:02 am
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 08:59:19 am »
I know the feeling. However, if you're the only foreigner at work you'll never fit in anyway and  aren't really expected to.

Re-posting this quote for visibility. I think this is a misconception the majority of foreigners have when they first arrive - that they "belong".

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 09:28:04 am »
I know the feeling. However, if you're the only foreigner at work you'll never fit in anyway and  aren't really expected to.

Pretty much.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 11:55:48 am »

Pretty much.

I am totally fine with this. I get to skip boring meetings because I'm just the foreign teacher who doesn't know Korean :) The foreigner card comes in handy at times.