Read 4390 times

Misophonia: Scientists crack why eating sounds can make people angry
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38842561
http://time.com/4659308/misophonia-noisy-eating-science/

Bothered by slurping and other mouth noises? Well now we have an explanation.

In an report published in the journal Current Biology, scientists said scans of misophobia sufferers found changes in brain activity when a 'trigger' sound was heard. Brain imaging revealed that people with the condition have an abnormality in their emotional control mechanism which causes their brains to go into overdrive on hearing trigger sounds. The researchers also found that trigger sounds could evoke a heightened physiological response, with increased heart rate and sweating.

This certainly adds something to the issues some have living in Korea.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul

Re: Bothered by slurping sounds? Science reveals you have a disorder
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 12:15:16 am »
It's got nothing to do with disorders and everything to do with being raised in a culture of politeness.  Those PA ads at lotte mart where dude is slurping and making all these weird sounds over the ramien they're trying to push are the worst.  Then, you got a you tube clip of that Sam Hamington guy doing the same thing on youtube making weird faces.  Seems odd to me.  But, maybe, I have a disorder.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:11:35 am »
It's got nothing to do with disorders and everything to do with being raised in a culture of politeness.  Those PA ads at lotte mart where dude is slurping and making all these weird sounds over the ramien they're trying to push are the worst.  Then, you got a you tube clip of that Sam Hamington guy doing the same thing on youtube making weird faces.  Seems odd to me.  But, maybe, I have a disorder.

Science is science.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:58:37 am »

Science is science.

Science would have controlled for the variable of different table manners.

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:19:13 am »
I do think it would be possible to instill phobias from a cultural point of view as well.
Take for example the fact that many Koreans are afraid of dogs... even the tiny ones. A little chihuahua scares some Korean adults more as much as spiders do...

I think you should at least give it a try to slurp ramen. If you try it yourself maybe it will become less annoying. No, seriously... try it. It makes noodle soups taste so much better.

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 08:18:00 am »
Wait. How far does this go? If fingernails on a chalkboard or rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together invokes a physiological response in me, does that mean I have a "disorder"?

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 08:21:15 am »
Wait. How far does this go? If fingernails on a chalkboard or rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together invokes a physiological response in me, does that mean I have a "disorder"?

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/phobia?s=t
noun
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

Perhaps? Is it irrational that you fear those noises?

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 08:33:49 am »

Science is science.

Science is science, but eating like some sort of uncultured pig is just eating like some sort of uncultured pig.

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 08:34:15 am »

noun
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

I don't suppose either of them cause me harm, so there's no reason to react the way I do when I hear them (fingernails on chalkboard at least, styrofoam doesn't bother me.)

Presumably, reacting to any sound that may be an actual danger - smashing glass, screeching tires, screaming - is fine, but reacting to any sound that doesn't immediately threaten me means I have a disorder. Got it.  :rolleyes:

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 08:39:44 am »
noun
1. a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.
     I think 'fear' is the wrong word. Very few people fear styrofoam squeaks.
     Some people do have a stronger reaction to certain stimuli (like nails on a chalkboard) than others. Depending on the strength of that reaction it might be considered to be a disorder.

Personally, if I hear somebody making raspberry sounds, my lips go numb. It's weird, but I wouldn't call it a disorder, and certainly not a phobia.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:18:20 am by kyndo »

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:55:37 am »
Due to the differences in the anatomy and physiology of the ear, I wonder if Koreans are susceptible to misophonia.

If I were to venture a guess, I would say they are not ;)

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 09:17:44 am »
Dave,

I suffer from misophonia.

Some of the things you speak about would bother the majority of people, while other things you listed would not.

Sucking the teeth, gum smacking/popping, someone texting with the sound function on, chronic clearing of the throat, etc. are things that bother people with misophonia (most people can ignore it or put it out of their mind).

Imitating the sounds can bring some relief.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:20:33 am »
MisophoBia is the fear of bean soup.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 09:34:44 am »
MisophoBia is the fear of bean soup.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 09:45:39 am »
So would I have a disorder?
It's possible.

For me, it is quite obvious.

When my wife and I are together and another person starts smacking/popping their gum, it doesn't annoy her in the least or most others around.  However, it will grate on my nerves.

It's not life threatening ;), but it knocks me out of my bubble.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 10:16:00 am »
The only one that bugs me is the insanely loud and lengthy teeth (denture?) sucking by elderly Gyeongsang-saram on buses/trains/planes.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 10:36:26 am »
I do think it would be possible to instill phobias from a cultural point of view as well.
Take for example the fact that many Koreans are afraid of dogs... even the tiny ones. A little chihuahua scares some Korean adults more as much as spiders do...

I think you should at least give it a try to slurp ramen. If you try it yourself maybe it will become less annoying. No, seriously... try it. It makes noodle soups taste so much better.

I've been trying to do the slurping for a while, but am just unable to do it.

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 11:42:10 am »
I completely forgot about this thread and just now...

I sat down, opened up my lunch box with Yukkaejong and began eating, slurped and looked up and saw this thread... lmao...

Still slurping...

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 11:58:35 am »
I'm gonna be slurping lots of authentic ramen when I hit up Japan. Ramen stadium, here I come!