Read 1668 times

• fdny
  • Super Waygook

• June 05, 2012, 06:25:05 am
Are Your Torrent Downloads Slowing Down?
« on: April 17, 2017, 05:59:09 pm »
Recently my torrents have been crawling!  I tried to download the Logan HD-Rip the other day.  It had like 55,000 seeders.  But still, it was crawling.  2-5kb/s  What's the deal here.  I checked my internet connection.  No problems.  I can play online games like BF4, no problem.  I'm starting to think some Korean ISPs are identifying torrent traffic and throttling it.

I ended up streaming Logan.  That was no problem. I don't get it.

• MWeb37
  • Super Waygook

• February 11, 2012, 10:24:08 am
Re: Are Your Torrent Downloads Slowing Down?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:37:31 pm »
I've definitely feel I've been throttled on a few occasions.

That said, after a day or so it's not an issue again.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:08:18 pm »
They likely are throttling it. A solution is to use a VPN for when you download.

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:52:24 pm »
clear your cookies and cache, and then push the reset button on your router (it clears the router cache when it boots back up).

if you connect via wifi then use a LAN cable through your router to your PC instead.

but yeah i also feel like i'm being throttled a bit sometimes.

interestingly enough when i go to my korean GF's place she'll download movies from some korean torrent site and the speed is blazingly vast. seems any time you connect to sites outside of korea the speed slows down noticeably (yay korean internet  :rolleyes: )

i've also noticed on occasion that torrenting on my pc via VPN can sometimes be faster, but seems a bit of a crapshoot.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:05:08 am »
Recently my torrents have been crawling!  I tried to download the Logan HD-Rip the other day.  It had like 55,000 seeders.  But still, it was crawling.  2-5kb/s  What's the deal here.  I checked my internet connection.  No problems.  I can play online games like BF4, no problem.  I'm starting to think some Korean ISPs are identifying torrent traffic and throttling it.

I ended up streaming Logan.  That was no problem. I don't get it.

Logan already?  Isn't it too soon to get a quality download?  It's got to come out on DVD first doesn't it?

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:28:39 am »
Logan already?  Isn't it too soon to get a quality download?  It's got to come out on DVD first doesn't it?

They get pirated earlier these days because they come out on streaming services pretty quickly after theater release.

I haven't been downloading anything, but YouTube of all things has been stuttering at home. It started three days ago. My ancient, Samsung router (they don't even make routers anymore) has been acting up though, so that could be my problem.

• davhold
  • Waygookin

• March 06, 2012, 01:56:19 pm
    • seoul
deleted
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 12:36:52 pm »
you should do the same
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:58:21 pm by davhold »

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 01:05:17 pm »
Also, make sure you have port forwarding enabled on your router.

• Ptolemy
  • Super Waygook

• January 09, 2017, 06:25:15 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 01:39:59 pm »
For some reason I thought that Pirate Loser (Peter Whoever) has been saying it's game over for awhile and exiting the business. Maybe the lame "free" (criminal) internet is ending?

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 02:04:55 pm »
For some reason I thought that Pirate Loser (Peter Whoever) has been saying it's game over for awhile and exiting the business. Maybe the lame "free" (criminal) internet is ending?

you have an interesting gimmic. for someone who's anti-america, it's weird to take a pro-copy right stance, as USA has some of the strictest and draconian copyright laws.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 07:45:35 pm »
interestingly enough when i go to my korean GF's place she'll download movies from some korean torrent site and the speed is blazingly vast. seems any time you connect to sites outside of korea the speed slows down noticeably (yay korean internet  :rolleyes: )
That's to be expected. If a download has to go over more hops and especially ones further away, there's going to be some reduction in speed.

• Ptolemy
  • Super Waygook

• January 09, 2017, 06:25:15 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 08:04:45 pm »
...as USA has some of the strictest and draconian copyright laws.

...except for that whole destruction of artist's intellectual property via love to tech corporations. Stealing music to put on your iPhone is okay because it sells more iPhones, but stealing the tech to make iPhones is not okay.

America, biggest corporation determines law. See it all ties together coherently.