• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
Fleeing South Korea
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:51:09 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT2wzQq7kx0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT2wzQq7kx0

A computer engineer and his wife are willing to pay $25,000 each to an agency in Korea which puts them in touch with American employers. They are willing to pick pine cones for a farmer in Georgia for $9 an hour. The farmer usually hires Mexicans. Later on in the video, a doctor also wants to give up his life in Korea to go pick cones. Has Korea become that much of living hell for Koreans?

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
Re: Fleeing South Korea
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:07:27 am »
That's half the problem.

The smart Koreans who are willing to accept that this country has problems are seen as people who "don't like Korea" rather than people who are pointing out facts and problems. So these people just give up and go overseas.

It's pretty bad that they are willing to take such a drop in life style, but money isn't everything, and actually living out in rural America is probably much better than living in Seoul where you'll get all your minerals in one breath.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:27:47 am »
It's only for 6 months as the TCM doctor mentioned. So even from an opportunity cost point of view, it's not THAT big of a drop since they're free to do what they want economically after those six months. They're also making ~$1400/mo for those six months. So instead of $25k for the visa, it's more like $17-18k.
Assuming the computer engineer gets a similar job in USA, he'd be getting paid 1.5-2x more than here anyhow, that's after six months of hard work. Consider how much less they will spend on their children's education too, as so many of them talk about conforming to the norms of Korean society as the biggest reason for wanting to leave. If I were Korean I would totally do it.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 03:00:13 pm »
I don't want this to go off topic, but... Even in church the claps are off beat!?! Aren't norebangs and birthday parties enough?...I am now finished  :huh: :cry:

Now on topic. Maybe some just find it so daunting to do it themselves, and don't want to really put in the real effort into connecting in order to move...I will be honest. I read a couple of comments, but stopped the video after the clapping...

• MWeb37
  • Super Waygook

• February 11, 2012, 10:24:08 am
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:47 pm »
I just wanted to say that this was a really interesting watch. Cheers.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 07:43:55 am »
I don't want this to go off topic, but... Even in church the claps are off beat!?! Aren't norebangs and birthday parties enough?...I am now finished  :huh: :cry:

Now on topic. Maybe some just find it so daunting to do it themselves, and don't want to really put in the real effort into connecting in order to move...I will be honest. I read a couple of comments, but stopped the video after the clapping...
Funny you should mention!

I'm doing swing dancing (I'm really really bad at it) and the instructor (who is Korean) made it a point to mention to the students (a mix of Korean and foreigners) that while in Korea most dance beats are time-stressed 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2, Western Swing dancing is the opposite. It didn't mean anything to me, but I saw a lot of raised eyebrows on  other folk.