Read 26211 times

I saw this on a facebook group.  It is an expat in Busan.  I don't know the individual.  These are his words.  They have been re posted onto other groups.  So, I think it's ok to re post here.   

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

A REMINDER OF FOREIGNNESS
 and a warning to avoid being arrested!

After 16 years living in Korea, I tend to forget one almost national fact: Foreigners should never expect the police to side with you against a fellow Korean.

Yesterday my wife (who is Korean) and I spent about 4 hours dealing with a confrontation, and at every step the racism of the adversary escalated, and the inaction of the police was appalling. Hereís the story.

After shopping at Costco, we were going up the escalator towards the parking lot. On the escalator there was a Korean family consisting of a child, young mother, grandmother, and a very fit and agile grandfather. The child was running all over the place. The adults were walking separately, with the mother about 5 meters in front of us, and the grandparents 2 meters behind us. The child kept running back and forth between them.

We were parked at the very far end of the lot, and it turns out their car was also on the same line as ours. This meant for approximately 50 meters we all walked together, with the child continuing to run back and forth. Our cars were parked at the end lane, which also happens to be the main entrance for cars coming into the parking lot. Cars are coming up a hill, so the driversí line of sight is elevated, making things low to the ground not easily visible.

The mother crossed the road alone, and opened the car door. She was not paying attention to the child; at that moment the child was behind us, near the grandparents. Then, suddenly the child ran past us and straight across the car lane. There was a car coming into the parking lot at the same moment, and the driver did not see the child, continuing to drive at speed.

At this moment, Jin instinctively screamed. Her scream startled the driver, who hit the brakes and avoided hitting the child by centimeters.

There is no doubt in my mind that Jin saved that childís life with that scream. ( I screamed too, a few milliseconds after her)

And at that point, all hell broke lose. The Koreans yelled at Jin. They were angry that Jin startled their child by screaming! Jin yelled back, telling them that the kid almost got hit by a car, and telling them to mind their child. I also yelled at them, that their kid was in danger.

You would expect that they would be groveling in apologies, and showing us with gratitude for saving the childís life. But instead of that, they yelled: Why do you care what we do? This is not your child. The sentence was said insultingly (In Korean, the verb conjugation one chooses can turn any sentence into a disrespectful insult). Jin and I started loading our stuff in our car, and they in theirs. But the man was not helping the women load. Instead he was glaring at Jin, in a stance that showed he was thinking of coming at us. He then yelled at me a Korean swearword that is equivalent to ďson of a bitchĒ. Jin screamed back at him, ďwhat did you say? How dare you say that? We were just helping your child! You were the irresponsible ones!Ē.

He kept glaring at us, and I knew what he was about to do. He suddenly came at us, and the moment I saw him move I went to intercept him. He was coming to attack Jin. I stood in his way blocking him, chest to chest. He kept shoving himself towards Jin, who was standing behind me. I was attempting to hold my ground, with my hands behind my back. I had to back about 5 steps with him shoving himself into me. He was clearly intent on getting to Jin. Then suddenly with his hands he pushed me hard, and I fell to the ground backwards. As I fell, he came on top of me, and he looked about to start punching me. I kept my hands down, and instead started yelling POLICE, POLICE! (in korean). This stopped him from actually punching me, but he remained on top of me. Jin took pictures with her phone, but suddenly the mother grabbed Jinís phone from her hand, and kept it. At this point some Costco workers arrived, and they told him to get up.

When he got up, he started saying a non stop flow of insults, at me, at Jin, and of course, all were racist. He insulted Jin for being a Korean woman with a foreign man, and called me all sorts of racist words. He didnít care that there were people around, just kept going on. I pulled out my phone to film his insults, and he punched my hand very hard, knocking the phone to the ground.

Jin took pictures and videos of him on top of me attacking. I took video of him punching my phone to the ground. At this point, Jin grabbed her phone back, and called the police.

It took about 10 minutes for the police to arrive. The entire time, the man kept swearing racistly at us. When two police officers arrived, he continued swearing with racism. He did not care that cops were there.Everything was explained to the cops by both sides, and the cops permitted him to continue his insults.

This is the point from which we felt the police were clearly against us. The cops kept telling us: Just go home. This is not a serious issues. No real violence or injury happened. Only a minor physical attack. It will take a long time to file a police report, maybe a few hours, so you should just leave. If he apologizes to you, why don't you just go?

The man had spent about 30 minutes of non stop swearing and racism. I knew he had no intention to sincerely apologize. I asked the cops: Is the way he attacked me legal? Donít I have video and picture evidence of him attacking me, with me not attacking back, or even raising hands to defend myself?

See, one important thing to note is that I know that as a foreigner, I cannot lay a hand on a Korean. Iíve heard enough stories to know better. But I am not a small and weak man. Iím out of shape, yes, but I know how to fight, with military training in hand-to-hand combat, that was used in real life. I could have easily subdued and restrained him. But instead, I restrained myself, simply trying to protect my wife from this crazed man.

The police had to reluctantly agree that if I wanted to submit a police report, I had a right to. So the cops, Jin, and I got in the police car and headed to their local police station.

At the police station, the whole story had to be told again to a higher ranked police officer. We told our side calmly, and the man told his side, while continuing to insult both of us, and say even more racist things. IN FRONT OF THE COPS!

The cops did nothing to stop him from the insults. They just every once in a while meekly said: Sir, donít say such things. He would dismiss them and keep insulting.

We were appalled at how he could say such racist and vulgar things in the police station, but we could tell little by little that the cops were angry at me for pursuing my decision to file a police report against him. The senior officer kept telling us to go home, to not waste so much time, and tried to encourage us to drop everything. I asked them if I had the legal right to file a report, multiple times, and the officer begrudgingly admitted that yes, I had the right.

Meanwhile, the man started to change his story. He started to say that his knee hurt when he got on top of me, and then started saying that HE was the victim. That I pulled him on top of meÖ

The cops jumped on this. Their glee was palpable. They brought a camera, and started asking him: where are you hurt? And taking pictures of his knee and other parts that suddenly got injured. I spoke out: Hey, my shoulder hurts where I landed on the ground. They took a picture of my shoulder. Reluctantly, in my opinion.

Then the senior office said to me: I don't believe that you were pushed down. You are so fat! There's no way anyone could push you! I said "It is just physics. Anything can be pushed if there's enough leverage and no counterbalance. Of course he can push me down!"

Then, they started printing out some documents, and called ME (only me) to come sign them. Documents in Korean. I was told that one of the documents was the Miranda Rights. At that moment I say :Wait? Are you ARRESTING ME???

They said yes. you are under arrest for attacking this man, and you are guilty until you can prove you are innocent.

Thatís right. The Korean police arrested me for trying to file a police report against a Korean who attacked me physically.

This is the country I live in.

I refused to sign any documents without a lawyer present. They allowed me not to sign, but still filed me as arrested. Jin and I were shocked.

The entire time at the police station was horrifying. The cops allowed the man to say all those racist insults at me and at her for being with me, and tried to punish us.

At that point, I realized that the police would not help us at all. They were 100% defending the Korean against the foreigner. And they kept telling us: You can stop this whole process, just simply say you donít want to continue, and you can go home. Otherwise, it will take us about 3 more hours to process you.

Thereís a point where you have to say ď**** it.Ē That was my point.

I said, ok, fine. We will not continue. And like magic, the cops said Great! They put the guy in a chair in front of us, and told him to apologize nicely. He gave a very insincere apology, and then we were given a document to sign that stated: We will not pursue this matter anymore, and everything is settled. I signed, Jin signed, and the man signed. Then he was allowed to leave.

I however was NOT allowed to leave the station. Because I was still under arrest. They said that because I was a foreigner, They had to take all my ten fingerprints. So we had to wait about 15 minutes more while each of my fingers was scanned 3 times.

I know Iím a foreigner. But I guess after my 16 years here, I was in a false sense of security that made me think Korea was welcoming to me. But the true reality came out last night. Koreans donít like us foiregners. They tolerate us. But when they get agitated enough, for a lot of them (not all) the racism comes out. There were at least ten police officers who witnessed the manís vile behavior. And not a single one stopped it.

Busan Police is a disappointment, and I know nothing will change. The only thing I can do is warn fellow foreigners: AVOID confrontation with Koreans. Do not get involved in strangerís lives. Do not attempt to help strangers. Even if you save their childís life, they will still mess you up.

Had I been foolish and punched or raised my arms at the man, even in self defense, I have no doubt Iíd be sitting in a Jail cell right now, and probably be deported in a few months.

Please, avoid confrontations with Koreans at all costs!!!!

EDIT: Here's my wife's side, posted in a comment below. Adding it here so it doesn't get lost.

I have to say....

Rather than the old man's "action", the policeman's silence/inaction in the whole time process felt more cruel and quite hurtful to me. From the moment it happened all the way to the police station, the old man never stopped insulting me and Leo.
 -(he thought he heard Leo was from Poland) started to call him Poland Seki( son of a bitch), then policeman said, no he's Colombian, then the old man said Colombia? It's a lower quality country than Poland. Colombia Seki.
 - I was called a bitch numerous times by the mother, and the old man "reminded" me of what meanest eyes I have, using all kinds of abusive slangs he could possibly think of.
 -Leo said to the policeman how come you let the old man say such racist name calling. The policeman laughed and said, that is not racism. It is normal and okay in Korea. Then Leo said, "I mean, you let him say that IN police station, IN FRONT OF policeman?". Then the policeman would say something, not firm enough to the old man, but that's it. The conversation continued, the policeman said to Leo, the old man didn't even call you 깜둥이 (*****) or anything like that, then how can it be racist? Besides, in Korea, Korean people are very very understanding towards foreigners, no racist except for certain cases where black people get treated bad, but that's it. So at that point, the old man repeated exactly same thing as what the policeman said. "That's the problem! Korean policemen are too understanding to foreigners. When I was in China, I got treated so bad by the Chinese. Besides, did I call you a *****? No, right?"

At the beginning of the whole thing, I asked Leo what he wanted, he said he wants to go all the way to court if possible and punish him. As the whole thing was going so ridiculous, I was getting so exhausted and frustrated and just wanted to end everything, worrying more about our dogs/ Wendy's/ Baps...if things get complicated, then our animals will be victimized and punished not getting all the care/ attention/ and eventual adoptions. At the same time, the policeman kept urging us to do settlement as it was a minor case and Leo will be arrested as a criminal as well. And.......Leo said something saddest ever to me at that point, piercing my heart through with such pain.

Jin, I don't think the policeman will protect me. I just want to end this here.

That moment, we ended it. When we were coming out of the police station, I gave Leo a big hug and said so sorry for what happened to him. Leo is a one freakin' cranky good man to me. That's all that matter.

And everyone, I'm fine. I was emotionally damaged with a headache and passed out immediately when I got home. Had some good sleep. Leo is okay too, hopefully. Leo and I are quite used to situations like this, but sometimes I see vulnerable side of Leo, so I get a bit worried. I think he's okay now though.

Thank you everyone for your support, that's truly appreciated.
 We all live in an imperfect world. We deal with it, get hurt and stand back up as if nothing happened.

P.S. - Are my eyes that meany looking? lol.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Re: A REMINDER OF FOREIGNNESS and a warning to avoid being arrested!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:34:13 pm »
More and more stories like this will come out. These things happen daily and will increase. It's getting bad here many young Koreans are blaming foreigners for unemployment and their problems.

Crazy old men live everywhere but In Korea there are no reprocussions for this behavior. Look at the Canada story from awhile ago where two older people from Korea acted like children.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:35:29 pm »
The lesson?

Mind your business?  Don't make a mountain out of a molehill?  Avoid Costco when it's crowded? Those looking for trouble are sure to find it?

Need more?

The post reads like Cranky Leo was annoyed with these people long before the scream.

Isn't life too short to give two sh!ts about how complete strangers live their lives? (as I type this post :p)

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:46:24 pm »
The lesson?

Mind your business?  Don't make a mountain out of a molehill?  Avoid Costco when it's crowded? Those looking for trouble are sure to find it?

Need more?

The post reads like Cranky Leo was annoyed with these people long before the scream.

Isn't life too short to give two sh!ts about how complete strangers live their lives? (as I type this post :p)

You're talking about the Ajeossi, right?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 09:02:48 pm »
The lesson?

Need more?

I think the point where it all went so shit was when loading groceries and the wife yelled back.

If they had just loaded up and gtfoutta there it probably would have been better.

But that's an armchair psychoanalysis. Reality was probably more messy.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:45:01 pm »
The lesson?

Need more?

The lesson? Don't intervene in Darwinism when Koreans want to stupidly kill themselves.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 10:36:58 pm »
a) the Korean police are USELESS. Do not expect them to ever do anything logical or useful. Look at how crappy Koreans drive, they know they can get away with it because they know the police will never do anything. I've lost count of the time I've seen Koreans do all kinds of insane driving maneuvers right in front of cops who are just sitting there.

b) People in the US fight about stupid shit all the time. Even in nice areas you always have to have your guard up because you never know when some stupid idiot will flip out because you honked your horn or knocked his water over. But if anything happens at least the police will file a report competently. In Korea I never really have to worry about anything like this, Koreans are really non-confrontational. But if they do flip out the police will never be on your side.

c) What's happened in this story is that a rage-filled ajusshi flipped out and lost control, and he was so old and obnoxious that his family and the police didn't want him to lose face and let him get away with it. There is next to no knowledge of modern mental health care here.

d) keep an eye on what the ajusshi class tries to get up to when Minjoo takes the presidency.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Aurata
  • Expert Waygook

• July 10, 2016, 09:51:51 pm
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 10:49:36 pm »
More and more stories like this will come out. These things happen daily and will increase.

Actually my impression is that these sorts of incidents were more common ten years ago.

When in public with a woman you basically had to have the alertness of a presidential bodyguard. Nowadays its still bad but not as bad.

It's getting bad here many young Koreans are blaming foreigners for unemployment and their problems.

In my exp its not the youngsters but the over-50's men that tend to this kind of nonsense.

Quote from: pecan
The lesson?

Mind your own business and tolerate a lot more than you would if you were at home.

Set limits though, otherwise you cease to exist. Have a red line.

There comes a point where its better to defend yourself because you'll end up being charged and arrested no matter what you do.

Quote from: Loki88
I think the point where it all went so shit was when loading groceries and the wife yelled back.

Seems like a lot of Korean women don't really believe how racist this society can be until something like this happens.

They tend to think you're being too wary about everything. Or if you don't react to provocation, they think you're weak. Most of them just don't understand the risks and what is at stake for foreigners and that legally speaking, we are totally vulnerable in this country.

When you realize that government services rarely help foreigners here, I struggle to see why we should pay taxes at all.
Imagine your Korea...

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 11:18:19 pm »
I guess most people won't be able to relate to this story as it sounds very un stereotypical. Being forced into a physical confrontation in a shopping mall surrounded by family in the middle of the day. Nothing even close  to this has happened to me in 12 years here or anyone I know, so hopefully it's pretty isolated. The police's reaction is understandable as no one seemed to be hurt. Best move on.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 01:58:10 am »
Sorry to hear about your situation.

If you're lucky, you won't get sued over this. (but I wouldn't be surprised if you do)

The laws are so messed up in Korea.   

There is a point in your story where things could have been de-escalated and maybe
a lot of this could have been avoided. 

I know it's easy to say things when I wasn't there, but if your wife had not yelled back at

the guy,  but said apologetically " We're sorry, we were just trying to help" or something
of that nature. 

I know it's not fair, but that's the way the laws are in Korea.  The adjoshi knows he can
get away with it, so he will push it to the limit.

As for the police, they also know that the deck is stacked in the adjoshi's favor, that's
partially why they are reluctant to help you.  If they had sided with you, they would be
in big trouble. 
Probably there was some racism/xenophobia  involved on their part as well.

I knew that if I had not left Korea, something like this would have eventually happened to me as well.  I had read of  enough incidents to be aware.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:17:31 am by some waygug-in »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 12:30:29 pm »
I guess most people won't be able to relate to this story as it sounds very un stereotypical. Being forced into a physical confrontation in a shopping mall surrounded by family in the middle of the day. Nothing even close  to this has happened to me in 12 years here or anyone I know, so hopefully it's pretty isolated. The police's reaction is understandable as no one seemed to be hurt. Best move on.

Reasonable?  Wow :shocked:  Surprised you also didn't congratulate the old Korean man for defending his homeland.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 01:54:47 pm »

Reasonable?  Wow :shocked:  Surprised you also didn't congratulate the old Korean man for defending his homeland.

Is 'reasonable' supposed to be a quote from me, or are you just providing your own quotes to have a go at? Jesus you bolded the line yourself, can you really not read that it says 'understandable.'  Get your eyes tested.

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 03:05:58 pm »
Yea I'm not sure why this has blown up on Facebook so much.  SHARE THIS EVERYWHERE YOU CAN...RACIST POLICE IN KOREA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with eggieguffer; no one was hurt, it was a scuffle that got a bit out of hand at worst.  The police just wanted to save everyone's time and trouble surely?  They probably didn't want to deal with the mountain of paperwork that would have come their way for such a small incident.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 03:07:55 pm »
Should've just ignored the guy, pack their stuff and just drive away.

• Taal
  • Veteran

• July 31, 2016, 06:33:12 pm
    • Los Angeles, US
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 04:00:58 pm »
Should've just ignored the guy, pack their stuff and just drive away.

You let your wife be insulted by strangers and just suck it up and run away with your tail between your legs?

As well as the racist abuse, the ajosshi punched the guys hand and pushed him to the ground. That's assault.

Nothing will change until there is a big enough resident foreign community here to force change.
The foreign population is increasing so I doubt this kind of nonsense will be tolerated forever.
At some point there will be street protests, diplomatic pressures etc.

there are loads of previous cases like this so if anyone has the file, there are plenty of independent journalists who would probably make a documentary on this issue. e.g.

For over twenty years Journeyman Pictures has distributed and co-produced, provocative, profound and original factual content
https://www.journeyman.tv/about/about-us

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 04:11:09 pm »
The police didn't mind the paperwork to arrest the foreigner.

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 04:11:44 pm »
The lesson?

Yep, when I lived in Gyeonggi, I always went shopping only during the closing hours when all of the ajumas/ajoshis went to sleep.  Going there during daytime was akin to asking to be hit with a shopping cart 20 times for no reason. 

Gmarket is my best friend.

Having said that, I think the lesson here is, don't try to save a child that isn't yours or your student - at least, not if the kid's family is right next to him. 

Then again.... Korea is a weird place.  If you were to read some of the other court cases, you'd learn many valuable, even if often counter intuitive, lessons.

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 04:16:00 pm »
Yea I'm not sure why this has blown up on Facebook so much.  SHARE THIS EVERYWHERE YOU CAN...RACIST POLICE IN KOREA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with eggieguffer; no one was hurt, it was a scuffle that got a bit out of hand at worst.  The police just wanted to save everyone's time and trouble surely?  They probably didn't want to deal with the mountain of paperwork that would have come their way for such a small incident.

did you see the picture? the guy was sitting on top of him. it doesn't seem like a little scuffle. blood money would be paid if the situation was reverse.

this type of news story makes national news in korea when Koreans abroad are mistreated. it's a double standard and it should get some public attention. I'm willing to bet this would enrage a lot of koreans who don't know how the authorities react to foreigners

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 04:58:59 pm »
Even though I posted this, I was unsure what to think of it except to pass it on.  I won't assume just because this never happened to me in a decade that it wouldn't happen to me or anyone in the future.  I have heard the cops can be racist.  Though, I've met some who seemed nice enough in person.  Again, I won't assume.  The country was pretty openly racist several years ago, much more than now.  When the other party was in power, Americans and Japanese were blamed for all of societies ills.  So, I hope this thinking won't return.  I think many younger people are more open minded than the really old.  I guess we'll see what happens soon enough.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 05:32:15 pm »

Is 'reasonable' supposed to be a quote from me, or are you just providing your own quotes to have a go at? Jesus you bolded the line yourself, can you really not read that it says 'understandable.'  Get your eyes tested.

My mistake typing on phone. Your argument isn't any stronger.