Read 5781 times

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
Do you fake it?
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:19:05 am »
This has been bugging me for a while now and I'm interested to see what it's like for other people.

I'm generally a very quiet person; shy, softly spoken, sometimes come across as quite down because of those things and my natural resting face.

But as soon as I'm in the classroom I'm the opposite.  Ball of energy, laughing, joking, enthusiastic.  So I'm faking it.  I act like that because I want the students to feel enthusiastic about learning English.

My gripe is that most of my CTs don't even bother doing that.  When they're in the classroom with me, they look, sound and act as if their dog has just died.  Trying to get the students motivated is SO difficult when the person they're looking to for support looks like they want to kill themselves.

My question is, if you're an introvert, do you fake it or not bother?  How about your CTs?  Do you think it's important to come across as enthusiastic and energetic?

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
Re: Do you fake it?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:30:39 am »
Yup, I fake it 9-5. Monday to Friday. My teachers all think I am so energetic and bubbly. I'm not.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:30:48 am »
I'm like you, on the quieter, introverted side but I fake it during class when I need to. The good thing is even if I'm in a bad mood, getting up and putting on a little happy show for the kids usually changes my mood for the better as well. I think it's important but yeah, sometimes it's tough.

As for CTs, in my experience some of the younger teachers are pretty enthusiastic and fun when they need to be. The older ahjeoshi teachers though, wow. It's no wonder some kids never learn any English  :sad:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:33:50 am by DMZabductee »

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:17:47 am »
This is my exact situation. Though I don't feel as if I'm faking it -- I genuinely have fun with most of my classes. I do feel the stark contrast once class is over -- going from HEY IT'S ME THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING CLOWN to sitting quietly with my thoughts and/or reading.

But yes I haaaaate the "there is only pain" looks from CTs. It throws me off when I happen to glance their way. What's worse though, I know for a fact that pretty much every teacher at school stands in front of their class with a microphone and drones on while periodically pointing to a screen. Meanwhile, I'm giving most everything I have and am told "oh you were more energetic this week" as if anything less than manic is considered unacceptable from the NET machine.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:35:17 am »
There's a saying that goes, "fake it till you make it" (usually in regards to "confidence").  Public speaking is hardly my favorite thing but I also genuinely enjoy teaching my students and being fun and goofy with them.  Once I got more accustomed to them, I'd say that it became less acting and more real.

I'm an introverted person by nature so sometimes if I wonder if my students are confused by my in-class persona versus when they run into me outside of the classroom when I'm not "on," hahaha. 

Though when I really think about it, I suppose I'm really an introvert with sporadic outbursts of extrovert behavior. 

I have also trained my face to rest at a pleasant expression because when I was younger I was often asked "Are you upset/angry? What's wrong?"  when my face was simply resting... I guess I had resting B face...

• Lowfoam
  • Adventurer

• August 31, 2015, 07:53:14 pm
    • Boryeong
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:55:39 am »
Nope!

Lowfoam is 100% authentic inside and outside of the classroom. Pretty much everything that I do with my kids I do outside the classroom as well. I scale it up and down, of course. Like when my kids are mumbling the words, I might yell at them and encourage them to yell it back to me. I'll stand in front of them and demand they all get up and stretch when things are too humdrum.

There are days I don't feel good / sick / what-have-you and I tell them that and they understand (mostly).

I can understand how people get burned out doing this job though. It is demanding making sure you're on your A-game all the time.

Despite my very chatty, open nature, I'm actually something of an introvert as well. I love coming home and just watching Netflix or playing video games.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:04:32 am »
I fake it, and it's exhausting. It makes it hard to want to do much of anything when I get home for the evening.

As far as CoTs go, I've never seen the vast majority of the ones I've had do any actual teaching. Most were either sitting in the back, or absent entirely. The ones I did see teach ranged from more or less pleasant, to energetic to the point of bordering on manic. The younger kids seemed to like the manic guy a lot, but the older students all looked super awkward every class. I certainly found it strange teaching with him.

I suspect the ones that are likely to be the stick in the mud types are the ones that just f*cked off to take a nap or whatever whenever I showed up.  :laugh:

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 10:32:04 am »
I understand what you are saying OP, 100%.

Perhaps this is just semantics, but I don't refer to/think of it as "faking it", it is simply caring enough to be professional and positive.

My vocation is a vacation, and I enjoy what I do (sure, we can be glorified babysitters, but it's what we make it, too).

One of my grades is split between two different coteachers.  Two classes are amazing, and the other two classes are horrible.

It simply boils down to classroom management.  The one teacher is an absolute star, while the other is a newbie and the kids eat her alive/challenge her daily.

I wish I could do more to help.  It is a steeper learning curve for some, more than others.

Anyway, point being, I am consistent across all of those classes, but too much time is spent off-task with half of them, due to a poor learning environment, so the quality is not the same for all of them.

It's hard to "fake" my shock at the rude behavior on show.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:39:50 am »
Perhaps this is just semantics, but I don't refer to/think of it as "faking it", it is simply caring enough to be professional and positive.

This is an excellent point/perspective. 

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:49:04 am »
I do what I need to do to get my students to learn.

If you are at an average public school with classes of 25 to 30 kids, you have to be loud and exciting to get kids to pay attention to you. If I'm teaching a small class I try to step back and have the kids work more on their own and do most of the talking. You can't really do this with beginning students though, you have to find a balance with them.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 10:50:15 am »
I put frequently, but couldn't decide between always and frequently.
I always try, but in some classes, where you have too many students who aren't motivated enough, co-teachers who don't give a rats #$% about your class, rowdy students you, and your co-teacher, just can't, or won't, control etc. I  don't in those rare situations, but for the most part, I will be energetic, full of energy, etc. in my classes.
Actually, some mornings when I wake up feeling depressed / just too tired to do anything, often my first class of the day will change my mood right around.

One thing I also do, is I get some my co-teachers to be their own team during the game. The students were against it at first, but when the co-teacher genuinely didn't know the answer to the first question, they encouraged her to play alongside them.
That's also helped me stay cheerful etc. while doing the classes, because it makes the students enjoy it more; and when the students are enjoying it more, I'm enjoying it more; when they aren't enjoying it, I beat myself up and start trying to figure out: what's going wrong, what can I change, etc. and it starts distracting me, and I get less cheerful. But, I haven't had that in a long time.

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 10:53:06 am »

This is an excellent point/perspective.

+1
-A.A. Milne

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 11:28:03 am »

I feel like I am an actor playing a character and like most actors that character has to come from somewhere within me.

I am usually quite quiet and introverted too but within those 4 classroom walls my inner extrovert comes out. Both are me, and I like both, but one takes more effort.

I'm lucky that I've usually only ever worked with Korean teachers who care and make it as interesting as I do.

I've had a few who sit at the back and take a back seat (homeroom teachers made to be there) but when I see their lessons they are up front and do genuinely seem to care about teaching.

I really dont like it when i see people here referring to others as a "clown" (In a derogatory sense, not describing themselves or with another meaning, I'm not calling you out  chupacaubrey  i get your meaning) because I feel like the clownish-ness is often just passion and energy and those who don't have either find it easy to confuse them.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 11:44:44 am »
I've been faking it for so long I think I've re-written my brain.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 11:51:23 am »
When I did teacher training at Uni years ago I remember one of the lecturers saying that teaching is often a performance.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 12:01:41 pm »
This. The majority of teachers here cannot comprehend the amount of energy we expend to put on the 'fun fun English show.' Whether or not it's genuine or acting, or some combination thereof that comes about from wanting to do a good job, being on like that all the time can be extremely draining.
Absolutely. After a day of classes where you are giving it your all (sometime not getting much in return) you can feel shattered. Like you've left a piece of yourself on the classroom floor. Overdramatic I know. But we all know that feeling of going home, sitting down and just zoning out for like an hour, while your brain decompresses.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 12:03:55 pm »
I don't know if I'd call it faking it, but it's more like putting on teacher voice. I mean most people change their behaviour around different people. I don't act and talk the same way around my friends as I do my parents. I don't act and talk the same way around my co workers as I do my friends. When I worked in a grocery store when I was in university my friends I worked with would laugh at how friendly I sounded with customers. They did the same thing, going from miserable to "heLLOOOOOOOO, how can I help you todayyyyy :D". We called it using cashier voice. In class I take on teacher voice. It's about having to adapt to the role you're taking on and if you pay attention you'll probably notice that you change how you act around different groups too, it's just more dramatic in the classroom.

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 12:04:48 pm »
Yes and no. I genuinely enjoy interacting with the kids.

But I prefer a more subtle approach that, thankfully, middle school students actually appreciate.

I do have to fake a little bit of energy, though, even if I feel like ants are burrowing through my skull. The kids basically "retreat" if they sense even a little that I'm not in a "good" mood.

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »
This. The majority of teachers here cannot comprehend the amount of energy we expend to put on the 'fun fun English show.' Whether or not it's genuine or acting, or some combination thereof that comes about from wanting to do a good job, being on like that all the time can be extremely draining.
Absolutely. After a day of classes where you are giving it your all (sometime not getting much in return) you can feel shattered. Like you've left a piece of yourself on the classroom floor. Overdramatic I know. But we all know that feeling of going home, sitting down and just zoning out for like an hour, while your brain decompresses.

I agree. This contract I thankfully have  long ass bus rides to get home after school, and I really do enjoy the zone out time of the ride before getting home. In real life, around other growed ups, I am just my usual introvert, bitter, sarcastic, realistic ray of f**king sunshine.  :wink:
-A.A. Milne

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 12:46:10 pm »
I don't know if I'd call it faking it, but it's more like putting on teacher voice. I mean most people change their behaviour around different people. I don't act and talk the same way around my friends as I do my parents. I don't act and talk the same way around my co workers as I do my friends. When I worked in a grocery store when I was in university my friends I worked with would laugh at how friendly I sounded with customers. They did the same thing, going from miserable to "heLLOOOOOOOO, how can I help you todayyyyy :D". We called it using cashier voice. In class I take on teacher voice. It's about having to adapt to the role you're taking on and if you pay attention you'll probably notice that you change how you act around different groups too, it's just more dramatic in the classroom.

Exactly. Anyone who's ever worked in a job where they had to deal with customers knows exactly what we're talking about.

Word.  Le "customer service voice."