Read 2619 times

• michbren
  • Explorer

• March 12, 2017, 06:04:25 pm
    • South Korea
Hello,

I am having really bad time teaching here. It's just been a whirlwind and to top it off, some personal matters have popped up at home. Honestly, I think it is best for me to leave. I have only been here for 2 months. All the teachers have been nice and the managers are alright. I do have some issues with late payment. I was thinking of leaving and giving them two weeks notice, but is that naive?

They will pay me late anyway so that will pay them back for all the airfare, etc. I was wondering if giving no notice is better than just a short period of time like two weeks. Please give me any advice, thank you.

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• August 11, 2013, 09:01:22 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
Re: Trying to leave teaching job, should I give two weeks notice?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:51:01 am »
Leaving without notice could put a black mark on your record if you ever want to get another job in Korea. Typically, they prefer a 30 day (I think) notice in order to have time to find a replacement.

Stuff does happen though, and I would maybe try to come up with a reason for leaving that doesn't have to do with them so they take it better.

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 11, 2016, 12:55:18 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:14:17 am »
I believe that standard in Korea is 30-60 days notice. However there should be a provision in your contract that tells you exactly how much notice your supposed to give. Generally this is in place so they have time to find a replacement for you.

• michbren
  • Explorer

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:56:51 pm »
The contract says to give 60 day notice. I honestly, I believe that is way too much time for me to stay here. The most I would be willing to stay is another 2 weeks. Long story short, I have had issues with paying late. I am supposed to be paid the end of the month but at first they said I didn't have a bank account. But now I do, and it's been 6 weeks since my paycheck. My coworkers have all said they have had issues with paying late. As in 3 weeks late. :( In addition to that, it's starting to feel like it's not worth it anymore.

I don't think I will come back to teach here in Korea. Do you think in that case, is it better to give 2 weeks notice or just leave once I get my "partial" paycheck and call it even for airfare, utilities, etc?

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:17:21 pm »
The contract says to give 60 day notice. I honestly, I believe that is way too much time for me to stay here. The most I would be willing to stay is another 2 weeks. Long story short, I have had issues with paying late. I am supposed to be paid the end of the month but at first they said I didn't have a bank account. But now I do, and it's been 6 weeks since my paycheck. My coworkers have all said they have had issues with paying late. As in 3 weeks late. :( In addition to that, it's starting to feel like it's not worth it anymore.

I don't think I will come back to teach here in Korea. Do you think in that case, is it better to give 2 weeks notice or just leave once I get my "partial" paycheck and call it even for airfare, utilities, etc?

Dip
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 08:33:12 pm »
Is there anything in the contract about the date you get paid each month? Are they past that date by more than 14 business days?

If so, I believe that they have broken the contract and you owe them nothing. If you think they really will pay you can wait, or you can get legal help, or you can just go home. If the contract is broken, I don't think notice is necessary before leaving.

• michbren
  • Explorer

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 01:19:35 am »
They eventually paid but only airfare. I guess some hagwons withhold your pay. Ex: march pay includes pay for days worked in February not March.

I feel really bad but I think i will do a midnight run :(

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 08:26:13 am »
I feel really bad but I think i will do a midnight run :(

Don't feel bad about this. Believe me your Korean boss is not loosing a second of sleep over not paying you.

Basically wait for you next pay, if you think they are going to pay it, and then once you have that go for it.

You really need to understand that the mentality of a hagwon owner is you are simply money to them, Nothing more. They don't care about you personally.

It would be very unlikely that this would have any negative outcome if you need to find another job in Korea at a latter stage.

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:36:46 am »
In situations like this I think it's best to just cut your losses and leave.  Don't feel bad about it.

• michbren
  • Explorer

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 12:21:22 am »
Just wondering, do hagwons usually withhold pay in a month's paycheck? For example, my december paycheck only includes the days I work for November. So basically, I am a month behind in pay.

I am doing it regardless, I just think everyone was really nice. But since I'm out an entire month, I think we can call it even.

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 04:53:22 pm »
Ah, that's the situation. Yes, that's how it works. I get paid on the 15th of each month for the previous month. Actually, it's similar in the states. The pay period ends, then payday is some time after that. I think it's 5-10 days difference in the states, but here it's different.

But if you've only been here for two months, why do you have a paycheck from December?

• michbren
  • Explorer

• South Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 10:21:25 pm »
Oh, I was just giving an example of what it would be like. :)

• Ivan
  • Waygookin

• January 11, 2017, 11:09:18 am
    • Earth
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 11:38:16 pm »
I would NOT pull a midnight run. I would tell your employer that a serious emergency has come up and you must go back home ASAP. I would tell them that you should leave tomorrow, but you are willing to stay for 1 week, and if necessary 2 weeks. If they ask about the emergency you can flat out tell them that it is personal and you don't want to discuss it. Cut your losses, but at least you will leave with dignity.

• michbren
  • Explorer

• South Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 02:33:34 am »
Ivan --

I was going to do exactly what you stated but I am already withheld a month's pay. It could possibly mean being held back 6 weeks pay plus any fees they will take away. Is that still worth it?

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 06:15:05 am »
Michelle,

First off, I'm sorry your venture in Korea isn't working out for you (this place is not for everyone).

As for your place of employment, are there other foreigners at your school or are you the only one?

I ask because I'm wondering how your employer will cover your classes if you were to cut out without providing your employer with enough time/proper notice to secure a replacement for you.

Your students might no longer be your first priority, but I hope you will at least consider them when making your decision for how to best proceed.

Ultimately, the totality of our actions reflects the quality of our character.

Best of luck to you.