• August 03, 2015, 04:16:11 am
    • Jeju Island

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Pittsburgh Pirates' Kang Jung-ho Denied U.S. Visa
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:21:22 pm »
It's a long fly ball-going, going, ohhh and it's caught by the backpedallng shortstop.

He's OUT!

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:49 pm »
Please understand the unique situation.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:56:02 pm »
I wonder if he is slagging off on the USA in some Aliens.naver chatroom.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:49:12 pm »
MAGA. Just as long as he's not bombing homers for Nexen and its all good.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:29:05 am »
Don't drink and drive kids. 

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 08:47:27 am »
Don't drink and drive kids.

Or motor vehicles.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• September 13, 2010, 08:21:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 08:50:53 am »
Good riddance.

Have known people who died at the hands of drunk driving.  Psh, like he's a real victim of anything.

Boo-hoo, can't get a visa renewed.  Like that's a real punishment.  He should be serving hard jail time for years at the very least.  Drinking and driving has such permanent consequences for victims.  And in the days where there's UBER, taxi's, and delivery drivers everywhere, there's really no excuse.

I rather he get like 10+ years in jail instead.  But hey, that's just me.  If he's willing to serve 10 years minimum to play, then I'd believe him more than he's willing to change.

(Apparently, if you look him up, he has had 2 prior DUI incidents as well.)  I guess he's just a repeat offender.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:30:32 am by Teemowork »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 11:05:30 am »
He would have been paid 2.75 million this year. And 3mill next year.
Talk about throwing your career away. Have fun in the KBO where you will be lucky to get 500,000.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 11:24:59 am »
Boo-hoo, can't get a visa renewed.  Like that's a real punishment.  He should be serving hard jail time for years at the very least.  Drinking and driving has such permanent consequences for victims.  And in the days where there's UBER, taxi's, and delivery drivers everywhere, there's really no excuse.

I rather he get like 10+ years in jail instead.  But hey, that's just me.  If he's willing to serve 10 years minimum to play, then I'd believe him more than he's willing to change.

While drinking and driving is bad and I agree he shouldn't be granted a visa, 10 years in prison for drunk driving is an insane policy. The jails would be overflowing and the restaurant and bar industry would collapse.

Besides, between smartphones, passengers, caffeine, fatigue, and other factors, there is as much out there that impairs your driving ability to a comparable degree that we'd have to make laws for that as well and throw those people in prison for 10 years.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 11:33:42 am »
I think a 10 year licence revocation would be nice to see.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 11:42:13 am »
While drinking and driving is bad and I agree he shouldn't be granted a visa, 10 years in prison for drunk driving is an insane policy. The jails would be overflowing and the restaurant and bar industry would collapse.

Perhaps, it might be arguably high for a first time offender.  After all, people do make mistakes.  But if some random victim dies in the process, having a light sentence seems retarded.

But, in his particular case, I don't think a 10 year sentence is outrageous.  This is after all his THIRD time doing this.  Sure, no one has died so far.  But, he is clearly repeatedly endangering his own life, as well as innocent people on the roads and streets with his stupid behavior.

10 years is the MINIMUM sentence he should be getting for this behavior.

If jails get full, then screw it, throw my tax dollars into building more jails, I don't mind higher taxes if it means keeping drunk drivers off the streets, I'll gladly pay extra.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 11:55:35 am »

Perhaps, it might be arguably high for a first time offender.  After all, people do make mistakes.  But if some random victim dies in the process, having a light sentence seems retarded.

But, in his particular case, I don't think a 10 year sentence is outrageous.  This is after all his THIRD time doing this.  Sure, no one has died so far.  But, he is clearly repeatedly endangering his own life, as well as innocent people on the roads and streets with his stupid behavior.

If jails get full, then screw it, throw my tax dollars into building more jails, I don't mind higher taxes if it means keeping drunk drivers off the streets, I'll gladly pay extra.

I wouldn't go that far, but if he hit someone or killed them then that time or more.  License revoked, car taken after 3rd or 4th offense and many hefty fines before this.  Maybe some small jail time.  If it's his 10th or more time, then maybe some longer time might be more appropriate.

What a DUI will do is give you a criminal record.  Good luck crossing many borders and getting many jobs.  You're screwed nowadays; though I would like to see some things taken off criminal records after a few years with good behaviour.  There's just too many employers back home who will reject an applicant for any little thing even if it was years ago.  Makes no sense for taxpayers to have to put people on welfare when they want to work and are being denied.  Anyways, sorry for that little rant. 

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 12:58:41 pm »

He should have his license revoked and should get treatment. He should not be thrown in prison for 10 years.

Do you know what happens in prison? You do realize that prison basically serves as "crime school" and people who get out of prison can't find jobs and have spent the last 10 years becoming even better criminals, right? Also, they're probably now addicted to drugs. Then you let em out and instead of having their license revoked, you've turned them into an opiate addict with no job. Gee, I wonder what will happen next? To say nothing of the person's family.

Also, DUI is one of the few crimes where women offend at a relatively high rate (about 25% of cases). Women getting 10 years can be severely destablizing on families, especially in the case of single mothers.

Also, if you're giving people 10 years in prison for DUI, guess what? You're about to get a bunch of drunken police chases and shootouts with the cops. A night in the drunk tank and getting your wages garnished for 6 months while you take the bus? You're pulling over. 10 years in the state pen? Dude, I would so run. That's the kind of time people will kill over. Yeah, that's what I want, a bunch of drunken car chases.

Not to mention the political costs of when you get some 18 year old suburban homecoming king/queen thrown into prison for 10 years under your crackdown. Good luck getting re-elected. And then you'll have to deal with people looking at whether this law is racist and why are black people getting DUIs and white people getting warnings?

In the case of the United States, the last thing we need is a super expansion of our prison system. It's already a corrupt and bloated industry.

It would be questionable whether the number of people saved by such a law would exceed the number of people killed by such a law through drug overdose, subsequent criminal activity, suicide, poor healthcare in prison, and the effects on the incarcerated's family.

I think alcohol treatment would be far more effective than 10 years incarceration.

In short, you're not thinking on this issue, you're feeling and reacting. Most importantly, I don't think you understand how crime and the criminal mind works.

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 01:51:39 pm »
I wouldn't go that far, but if he hit someone or killed them then that time or more.  License revoked, car taken after 3rd or 4th offense and many hefty fines before this.

I don't like the idea of waiting for someone to have to die before we give them a severe punishment.  Having 3-4 chances and still have nothing but having a car removed seems like a pretty light punishment.  So as long as person A gets lucky and not hits anyone, he/she is deserves a lighter punishment than person B who gets unlucky and does hit someone?

Hefty fines does nothing to someone who is already rich.  It just penalizes poor people and gives rich people a means to get away from real punishment.  Solid jail time given out regardless of a person's wealth would be more fair.

All I hear from DUI offenders are apologies and excuses.  "I swear I wont do it again", "I'll change, I promise",  "That was a stupid thing to do, I'll never drink again", etc.  It doesn't bring back the dead.  It's inexcusable.  If you are a three time offender, doing only 10 years?  Come on, that's a faction of your life, not a lifetime sentence (compare that to the lifetime sentence a victim got with death).  What happens in jail is part of your punishment.  That's why it's jail!  What do you expect, a tea party in there?  How about some steak and lobster?

I stand by my opinion.  Having such light punishments for drinking and driving is a joke.  Giving such "nice treatments" for reform is garbage.  Just let them burn and sort it out in jail.  They'll get a better life lesson from it.

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 01:55:43 pm »
Do you know what happens in prison? You do realize that prison basically serves as "crime school" and people who get out of prison can't find jobs and have spent the last 10 years becoming even better criminals, right? Also, they're probably now addicted to drugs. Then you let em out and instead of having their license revoked, you've turned them into an opiate addict with no job. Gee, I wonder what will happen next? To say nothing of the person's family.

Yes, that's exactly what I want to happen to people who drink and drive.  Sounds awesome to me.  Mess with other peoples lives, then get messed up yourself.  Makes sense.

Being labeled as a worse criminal, then the next run in with the cops might end up being a shootout and ends their life.  Again, exactly what I want.  They played with the lives of others.  Now cops get to play with their life.

And to avoid all that mess, its EASY.  You don't have to do ANYTHING.  That's right.  I'm not saying people have to do a thing.  They just have to sit there and DO NOTHING.  That is, NOT drink and drive.  For something as easy as telling someone to DO NOTHING, its pretty easy instructions to avoid the whole mess.  Or...just call an UBER, a taxi, have a DD, etc.  In this day and age, there are just too many options out there to make any excuses.  Those being affected by having a 10 year sentence would still be crazy low.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:22:41 pm by Teemowork »

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 03:21:54 pm »

Yes, that's exactly what I want to happen to people who drink and drive.  Sounds awesome to me.  Mess with other peoples lives, then get messed up yourself.  Makes sense.

Being labeled as a worse criminal, then the next run in with the cops might end up being a shootout and ends their life.  Again, exactly what I want.  They played with the lives of others.  Now cops get to play with their life.

And to avoid all that mess, its EASY.  You don't have to do ANYTHING.  That's right.  I'm not saying people have to do a thing.  They just have to sit there and DO NOTHING.  That is, NOT drink and drive.  For something as easy as telling someone to DO NOTHING, its pretty easy instructions to avoid the whole mess.  Or...just call an UBER, a taxi, have a DD, etc.  In this day and age, there are just too many options out there to make any excuses.  Those being affected by having a 10 year sentence would still be crazy low.

I'm sorry but the social costs of you 10 Years Plan exceed what I as a voter want to accept as the costs in return for reducing drunk driving.

I think your plan will devestate the economy if bars, restaurants, and clubs. I think it will result in numerous high schoolers and college students having their lives ruined and them turning into career criminals and committing more crimes. I think it will result in numerous innocent bystanders getting killed in chases and shootouts. I think it will be a massive tax burden and result in a number of talented people leaving the workforce and becoming criminals or welfare dependents.

Your plan is very irrational.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 03:37:05 pm »
The joys of fauxtherhood

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 03:40:20 pm »

I'm sorry but the social costs of you 10 Years Plan exceed what I as a voter want to accept as the costs in return for reducing drunk driving.

I think your plan will devestate the economy if bars, restaurants, and clubs. I think it will result in numerous high schoolers and college students having their lives ruined and them turning into career criminals and committing more crimes. I think it will result in numerous innocent bystanders getting killed in chases and shootouts. I think it will be a massive tax burden and result in a number of talented people leaving the workforce and becoming criminals or welfare dependents.

Basically getting a sarsaparilla at high noon will be asking for it.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 04:27:33 pm »
I think it will result in numerous high schoolers and college students having their lives ruined and them turning into career criminals and committing more crimes. I think it will result in numerous innocent bystanders getting killed in chases and shootouts. I think it will be a massive tax burden and result in a number of talented people leaving the workforce and becoming criminals or welfare dependents.

It seems to me like you are overestimating the number of people who drink and drive already.  There are tons of people who drink responsibly, especially now.  There are plenty of options out there for people to not drive after drinking.

You just make the whole situation look like an apocalyptic end of the world, when its only going to get people who do commit the crime AND get caught.  How many people do you personally know in the last 10 years who actually got a DUI?  For me, I "personally" knew maybe only one or two in the last two decades.  Not a very big number.

It seems to me you are exaggerating everything about high schoolers and college dropouts etc.  The number of responsible drinkers outweigh those who drink and drive.  We don't have a drunk driving epidemic in America.  Again, its not going to be a huge game change.  Definitely nowhere near as much as you think.

And to be fair, I think you are "under-feeling" the situation when you consider the impact on victims.  Not saying that any victim that got sent to the hospital or any of the victim's families would think completely rationally about what punishments they think a drunk driver should get.  But, I don't think any of them, after calming down, would feel simply revoking a license, or going to some AA meeting is considered anything close to justice.  They would probably feel the way a family does, when their child died to an unlawful cop shooting, and the cop just gets placed on "administrative leave".

Unless you consider those types of things "proper" punishments for cops too.  If so, then I guess you just have a lot more generous of a mindset with punishments than I do.  Because lets face it, going to some meetings or having a license revoked, it's really the same "nothing" that a cop gets if they are on "administrative leave".  It's not a real punishment at the end of the day.

And as an extra note, any of the bars, restaurants, or clubs you are speaking of that has license to serve alcohol should be doing so responsibly as well.  These institutions that continue pouring liquor down their customers throats because they are greedy for more sales is half the reason why we even have a shit ton of DUIs to begin with.  Devastate the economy?  Well, if a specific bar, restaurant, or club DID play a part in causing DUI's, then I have no sympathy for them being "devastated" and closing down.  Responsible shops and clubs can stay.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:48:21 pm by Teemowork »