Read 13909 times

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Guess we're back to being AIDS infested dirty foreigners again.
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2020, 09:55:38 pm »
Now, you're just trolling. Pathetic!
Whaddaya mean NOW?

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2020, 07:45:16 am »
Can we just accept that some comedy has an obvious premise that isn't funny - e.g. people eating food noisily with amusing background sounds, and while there may be snippets of the discussion around it that could be funny that you might miss without the language or cultural knowledge, the overall package is poor.
The food isn't the premise of the joke. The food is more of the setting for the jokes and the other parts of the entertainment. Much like in a road trip movie or tv show, the car is just a way to bring out the comedy.

Are you aware of Hot Ones, the youtube show? The one where they get celebrities to eat increasingly spicy wings? Is Hot Ones about the wings? Not really. It's just a vehicle through which the audience "eats with" the celebrity and the format helps bring out humor and intersting chatter. People also need to know the celebrity's persona and there are often cultural references.

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2020, 07:47:38 am »
Yes and even if it was some kind of groundbreaking, top-tier entertainment (which it isn't), people are still allowed to say they don't like it without the condescending "you are just too ignorant to appreciate it" nonsense.
How about people are allowed to like it without the condescending "you are ignorant for appreciating it" nonsense?

I'm sure we all have at least one lowbrow form of entertainment we enjoy. Live and let live I say!

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2020, 08:28:04 am »
The food isn't the premise of the joke. The food is more of the setting for the jokes and the other parts of the entertainment. Much like in a road trip movie or tv show, the car is just a way to bring out the comedy.

Are you aware of Hot Ones, the youtube show? The one where they get celebrities to eat increasingly spicy wings? Is Hot Ones about the wings? Not really. It's just a vehicle through which the audience "eats with" the celebrity and the format helps bring out humor and intersting chatter. People also need to know the celebrity's persona and there are often cultural references.

OK, OK, can we at least all accept that this three minute clip is objectively poor quality humour?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_wv8hNCYK0

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2020, 08:48:30 am »
How about people are allowed to like it without the condescending "you are ignorant for appreciating it" nonsense?

I'm sure we all have at least one lowbrow form of entertainment we enjoy. Live and let live I say!
yes people are allowed to like it and people are allowed to hate it. good, i'm glad we settled that. now, what else can we argue about...

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2020, 10:24:43 am »
OK, OK, can we at least all accept that this three minute clip is objectively poor quality humour?

I'm sorry! You fail to understand the cultural nuances and history of this scene. King Sejong ate this exact culinary delight prior to inventing Hangeul and Sam is merely re-creating that historic event.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:26:55 am by Savant »

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2020, 10:31:35 am »

I've watched 3 guys 1 hammer. This is worse.

« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2020, 01:01:12 pm »
Geez, I've never actually watched that clip until now. Anyways, no wonder you guys are so effing clueless about everything. You do realize that this ISN'T a comedy bit, right? Like FFS, you're complaining about something not being funny that isn't even supposed to be funny.

Look at the comments left. None of them reference humor. What you have here is essentially a mix of mukbang and ASMR where people are enjoying food and the sounds that come with it vicariously. You do realize that in the ASMR world, lots of people, including westerners seem to get ASMR triggered by mouth and food noises, right? You do know mukbang is a thing now in the west, right?

You don't even understand why people are watching, what they're trying to get out of it, you don't even consider their reaction. How can you begin to be a critic of something if you can't even have this basic level of understanding?

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2020, 02:54:59 pm »
FULL CAST AND CREW | TRIVIA | USER REVIEWS | IMDbPro | MORE
7.7/10
Siksyareul Habsida
Let's Eat (original title)
15 | Comedy, Romance | TV Series (2013 )

Love the first comment by the way

'This is among the most abominable things I've ever seen. Hideous.'
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:00:59 pm by stoat »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2020, 03:16:25 pm »
Geez, I've never actually watched that clip until now. Anyways, no wonder you guys are so effing clueless about everything. You do realize that this ISN'T a comedy bit, right? Like FFS, you're complaining about something not being funny that isn't even supposed to be funny.

Look at the comments left. None of them reference humor. What you have here is essentially a mix of mukbang and ASMR where people are enjoying food and the sounds that come with it vicariously. You do realize that in the ASMR world, lots of people, including westerners seem to get ASMR triggered by mouth and food noises, right? You do know mukbang is a thing now in the west, right?

You don't even understand why people are watching, what they're trying to get out of it, you don't even consider their reaction. How can you begin to be a critic of something if you can't even have this basic level of understanding?

Not comedy. you say? Either they were completely over-acting which is impossible because Korean food is so wonderful or they were knowingly taking the piss i.e. comedy.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2020, 03:26:57 pm »
I think he's saying that Korean TV comedy programmes sometimes have scenes in them when the actors pull funny faces and make funny noises to funny background music but they're not actually supposed to be funny.

« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2020, 09:48:50 pm »
https://mydramalist.com/8246-lets-eat
Genres: Food, Comedy, Romance, Drama
This may shock you, but comedic shows can have non-comedic scenes. Romantic shows can have non-romantic scenes. Drama shows can have scenes that produce a chuckle. And if there's one thing Korean entertainment is known for- it's rigidly sticking to genre.

Not comedy. you say? Either they were completely over-acting which is impossible because Korean food is so wonderful or they were knowingly taking the piss i.e. comedy.
Then how come none of the fans of the show commenting on it are treating that scene as purely comedic?

I may be going out on a limb here, but maybe they watch this show and understand the characters and know this scene, and it was not a purely comedic scene. Besides, this isn't even a reality show, it's a scripted TV show. The show is apparently targeting foodies, adding in romance, having some comedic moments to keep things light, and tossing in elements of mystery/thriller to also move things along.

I mean, the google search info graphic even lists 'thriller' as part of it's genre. Obviously this is a show that works within multiple genres and scenes have multiple contexts.

What do a group of foodies and a murder have in common? Lee Soo Kyung (Lee Soo Kyung) is a 33-year-old divorcee who is a composed, confident woman who is happy to be living alone after marrying way too early in life. But the only thing that can make her lose her cool composure is great food. Living next door is another foodie, Goo Dae Young (Yoon Doo Joon), a single man who loves surrounding himself with gourmet food but hates being asked if he is dining alone at great restaurants. When a strange murder occurs in their neighborhood, how will their lives be intertwined? Lets Eat is a 2013 South Korean drama series directed by Park Joon Hwa.
Regardless, I don't think any of you seem to "get" this show and what it's about.

I think he's saying that Korean TV comedy programmes sometimes have scenes in them when the actors pull funny faces and make funny noises to funny background music but they're not actually supposed to be funny.
For starters, there's different levels of comedy, from a scene that is supposed to be outrageously funny to scenes that don't go for straight laughs, but perhaps just smiles.

My best guess from this show, if there is any comedy, it seems to be that two of the other characters are foodies and know each other, and they somehow know Sam and the girl. There's something involving this meal and their reactions which reflects upon the main characters and whatever conflict they're dealing with and any 'comedy' is centered around that. What it is NOT is "look at these people audience, and laugh at them".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:59:57 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2020, 09:59:34 pm »
yes people are allowed to like it and people are allowed to hate it. good, i'm glad we settled that. now, what else can we argue about...
You forgot the part about being condescending. Also, it might help your critique of things if you have a sufficient level of understanding to actually criticize the thing you are critiquing. It's like someone who doesn't know anything about rap music and doesn't listen to it and grew up in a suburb in Connecticut criticizing Straight Outta Compton. It's a bit silly.

« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2020, 07:41:42 am »
You forgot the part about being condescending. Also, it might help your critique of things if you have a sufficient level of understanding to actually criticize the thing you are critiquing.

This is what is wrong with you.  You accuse others of being 'condescending' and then follow it up with a disgracefully condescending sentence.  Your inability to understand what you write yourself is the problem here, some may even call it lying, not only to us but yourself.  People who can't keep a straight story do this and warp the 'facts' to suit them to win these kinds of 'arguments'.  The fact you can't just let things go again and again makes us know that it's your problem, not ours.  Sad really.  This show is comedy/drama, and no amount of you calling us 'effing clueless' is going to change that.  It is supposed to be a light-hearted comedy.  Which is still a comedy. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2020, 07:51:30 am »
You forgot the part about being condescending. Also, it might help your critique of things if you have a sufficient level of understanding to actually criticize the thing you are critiquing. It's like someone who doesn't know anything about rap music and doesn't listen to it and grew up in a suburb in Connecticut criticizing Straight Outta Compton. It's a bit silly.
oh please. what about people calling cats the worst movie ever? i'm sure most of them aren't experts about musicals or music theory. are they unworthy of having an opinion? the alchemist is the worst book i've ever read. complete, utter, drivel. but, i don't have a masters in philosophy, so can i still have an opinion about it? is it okay to dislike kpop without knowing each band member's name or being unable to understand all the lyrics?

anyway, do you even like those tv shows we keep arguing about? why do you feel the need to defend them to the death? who cares?

« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2020, 08:00:21 am »
anyway, do you even like those tv shows we keep arguing about? why do you feel the need to defend them to the death? who cares?

It's now totally like this...

One of the best sketches from Chris Morris's 'Jam'. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGex0kLgNok

« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2020, 10:16:02 am »
I still don't even understand why they do it. I guess the Korean way of thinking is still just stuck in the past. The funny thing is that most Koreans would have more STD's and other health problems than us.

But teachers forced to do these tests should KEEP ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS related to the tests.

South Africans can get E-2 visas. The adult prevalence of HIV/AIDS in South Africa is 18.9%. That's more than one hundred times greater than the rate in Canada for example.

There are about seven thousand people with HIV/AIDS in South Korea. In South Africa it's seven million.

Given these numbers I don't think HIV testing E-2 visa holders is a terrible idea.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2020, 10:19:43 am »
South Africa is number one in the world for HIV / AIDS.

« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2020, 12:02:56 pm »
This is what is wrong with you.  You accuse others of being 'condescending' and then follow it up with a disgracefully condescending sentence.  Your inability to understand what you write yourself is the problem here, some may even call it lying, not only to us but yourself.  People who can't keep a straight story do this and warp the 'facts' to suit them to win these kinds of 'arguments'.  The fact you can't just let things go again and again makes us know that it's your problem, not ours.  Sad really.  This show is comedy/drama, and no amount of you calling us 'effing clueless' is going to change that.  It is supposed to be a light-hearted comedy.  Which is still a comedy.
The show, like lots of Korean entertainment, is a mix of genres. That it has some comedic elements and an overall lighthearted tone does not mean every scene is comedic. Again, if it were, the comments would reflect that.

Also, that sentence wasn't condescending. It explained the problem- lacking sufficient understanding and then it used an analogy as a way to explain that situation. I think we can all agree that if someone isn't a fan of a genre, has minimal experience with it, and little relation to the issues discussed, then they might not be the best vehicle for criticism.

« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2020, 12:14:22 pm »
oh please. what about people calling cats the worst movie ever? i'm sure most of them aren't experts about musicals or music theory. are they unworthy of having an opinion?
Are they fans of musicals? Have they seen other productions of Cats? Other musicals? Other movies based on musicals? If so, then that's usually good enough. They don't need to be experts.

But if they're people who loathe musicals period, would dread going to a musical, and the only musicals they've seen are ones they are forced to, then yeah, their opinion probably should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

I'm not defending the shows, we're discussing the nature of artistic criticism and what makes good criticism vs. bad criticism. This all started with my critique of the LOTMC and then people tried and compare that to my view on Korean shows that have food in them and people laughing of the reality kind, then it kind of segued into this Sam clip.

Bad criticism: I don't understand the language something is in fluently, I don't understand the culture instinctively, I don't understand the references, I don't know who the people or characters are, I don't know the plot, I'm not the target audience for the work, and I'm likely already biased against works from that source anyway, but I'll say something is bad.
Better criticism: I DO understand the language fluently, I do understand the culture, I do understand the references, etc. AND I offer suggestions as to how to make it better, and here's the key part, while still trying to make it appeal to the target audience and get across the message the artist is trying to convey. To do this requires the ability to empathize and to NOT believe that all art should appeal TO YOU, but rather to the people who would appreciate it and are the target for its consumption.

Do you have the empathetic skills to critique those shows in such a manner? Can you offer suggestions to improve them so that they appeal to the target audience (which is NOT you) in such a manner that they would enjoy it and also convey what the creators are trying to do? Please, let's hear your constructive criticism.