Read 13779 times

So, for a few years, we just took the civil servant medical exam and took it to our Gyo Yuk Cheong when we went for renewal to sign our new contracts.  No drugs or AIDS like several years ago.  Was cheap too, like 40 some bucks.  Now, this year, we're back at it again with a special test for E2's only and includes the drug and AIDS test again and nearly 90 bucks.  What's up with that?  Why get rid of all that just to bring it back?  Is it in anticipation of the new party coming to power.  Prep the steriotypes before it gets started.  Geeze!

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
Re: Guess we're back to being AIDS infested dirty foreigners again.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:33:54 pm »
Is that official policy or just your employer?

This year Korean teachers have to get criminal background checks (correct me if this isn't new).

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:21 pm »
Is that official policy or just your employer?

This year Korean teachers have to get criminal background checks (correct me if this isn't new).

I have had to do those for the past two or three years at the gyo yuk cheong too.  Just bring a copy of my E2 to get er done.  Prob is new for them. 

Not sure about the rest of it.  Just what my employer told me to do.  So, is it their new policy or a new immigration policy? 

• 02sanupp
  • Veteran

• April 28, 2016, 09:52:05 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 03:39:12 pm »
So, for a few years, we just took the civil servant medical exam and took it to our Gyo Yuk Cheong when we went for renewal to sign our new contracts.  No drugs or AIDS like several years ago.  Was cheap too, like 40 some bucks.  Now, this year, we're back at it again with a special test for E2's only and includes the drug and AIDS test again and nearly 90 bucks. What's up with that?  Why get rid of all that just to bring it back?  Is it in anticipation of the new party coming to power.  Prep the steriotypes before it gets started.  Geeze!

It's been like that for a couple of years in my experience.

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:40:32 pm »
I have been here three years and have had to do HIV and drug testing every year for Public School renewal.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 03:45:12 pm »
Not for me.  I haven't done the AIDS or the drug test for at least 3 or 4 years.  Just the standard civil servant one, along with a criminal check by the Korean cops.  Back to doing it this year. 

• 02sanupp
  • Veteran

• April 28, 2016, 09:52:05 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:48:14 pm »
Not for me.  I haven't done the AIDS or the drug test for at least 3 or 4 years.  Just the standard civil servant one, along with a criminal check by the Korean cops.  Back to doing it this year.

Lucky you, I think your school may have been one of the few reasonable ones left!

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 03:52:05 pm »
The MOE and not immigration is now posting that we need to get drug and HIV tests every year.

The UN has been for years pressuring immigration here to change it. I guess they just transfered the responsibilty to the MOE, which is still illegal.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 04:20:42 pm »
The HIV/AIDS test annoys me on two levels.

1. Hepatitis is far more prevalent than AIDS and yet there is no test for this. If you are going to have a look at my blood and urine, do it properly. Not many people who have contracted hepatitis or such like say "Gee I feel great, at least I don't have AIDS."

2. The discriminatory aspect is annoying, but I'm actually more annoyed that the South Korean government does nothing to dispel the myth that HIV/AIDS and other STDs in particular, are a foreign problem and not a Korean problem. Mr Kim goes to China on a business trip, comes back with something more than what he bought at duty free and infects his wife and whoever else he sleeps with.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:02:31 pm »
The MOE and not immigration is now posting that we need to get drug and HIV tests every year.

The UN has been for years pressuring immigration here to change it. I guess they just transfered the responsibilty to the MOE, which is still illegal.

Exactly correct.

I'm going to make a poll.....

Do we have the ability to make a poll on waygook with the 9 provinces and if they are asking for the medical tests?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:10:11 pm by ghorusdan »

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 05:34:45 pm »
I had to get the AIDS retest every single contract renewal when I worked for the Paju MoE. It's definitely out there and it sucks.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 05:53:41 pm »
I guess it's more of a minor irritation than a case of being extremely upset.  I mostly didn't like having to pay twice as much.  If you want to test when we first come in, fine.  But why test that every single year?  Why not do the add ons every two or three years instead?  Most of us are smart enough not to do drugs in Korea.  As for AIDS, I doubt I'd get it in one year. 

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 06:10:06 pm »
It depends on who runs the MoE.

Sometimes you get a complete **** of a superintendent who is in with the teachers union and hates us all by mere virtue of us not having a drop of Korean blood and is stupid enough to buy into the HIV test racket.

Other times you get a reformer who is not stuck in a perpetual 1890s mentality and is worldly enough to know that HIV checks on foreign teachers are ridiculous bureaucratic pieces of trash that merely exist to enrich the **** out of private hospitals.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 06:11:59 pm »
I guess it's more of a minor irritation than a case of being extremely upset.  I mostly didn't like having to pay twice as much.  If you want to test when we first come in, fine.  But why test that every single year?  Why not do the add ons every two or three years instead?  Most of us are smart enough not to do drugs in Korea.  As for AIDS, I doubt I'd get it in one year.

Money. Hospitals love moolah and HIV tests on dirty foreigners are low hanging fruit.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 06:31:21 pm »

1. Hepatitis is far more prevalent than AIDS and yet there is no test for this. If you are going to have a look at my blood and urine, do it properly. Not many people who have contracted hepatitis or such like say "Gee I feel great, at least I don't have AIDS."

2. The discriminatory aspect is annoying, but I'm actually more annoyed that the South Korean government does nothing to dispel the myth that HIV/AIDS and other STDs in particular, are a foreign problem and not a Korean problem. Mr Kim goes to China on a business trip, comes back with something more than what he bought at duty free and infects his wife and whoever else he sleeps with.

My tests have always included Hepatitis. The one I took this year included it as well.

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 06:35:49 pm »

My tests have always included Hepatitis. The one I took this year included it as well.

Interesting. Good to know some are at least doing it properly.

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 07:40:38 pm »
Depends if you are public school or hagwon, and I guess your province/city. Public schools make you do a health check every year no matter what.

For a hagwon, at least in Daegu, if you are renewing your ARC at the same hagwon, you don't need to do a medical check.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 07:42:11 pm »
If they take blood from you, they're checking for AIDS as part of their tests. Once they see that 5, or 6, in your ID number it's AIDS, and a drug screening. No matter how little you paid.

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:55 am »
I still don't even understand why they do it. I guess the Korean way of thinking is still just stuck in the past. The funny thing is that most Koreans would have more STD's and other health problems than us.

But teachers forced to do these tests should KEEP ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS related to the tests.

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:39 am »
wow 90,000 once a year!? those 1.8m contracts sure are taking a toll on your quality of life

while this data is averaged within the region and HIV cases in Korea are likely unreported because koreans likely don't get tested as often as North Americans, the % of population is still higher in foreign countries. It is totally logical for Korea to require migrant populations to get tested for HIV. Obviously they should obviously be testing everyone. I'm not sure if HIV is included on the NHI health-check up, if it is, then mostly everyone is being tested. Say what you want about Koreans being more likely to have certain diseases than us, in the case of HIV, at least based solely on home country, that is not true.

Tell that to all the Korean dudes going to SE Asia not using condoms.  Anyways, yeah, I'm a little put off by 90 K won a year?  It was half that for quite a few years, and then about this price before that.  As for contracts, 1.8?  I make a bit over 3 mil a month (adding in the slight extra teaching, renewal allowance, other allowances, etc).  But, I'm still annoyed to pay twice the price as to what I was paying before.  If they want the test, they should pay for it or just make us do one every two or three years or something.  It ought to be enough.