Read 868 times

• cari83
  • Adventurer

• September 07, 2011, 08:54:45 am
When to ask about contract renewal
« on: March 16, 2017, 11:52:23 am »
My contract is up the first week of July at my hagwon. I really like my job and would like to renew. Yet I'm not sure they've had many teachers stay more than one year, and I have no way of knowing if they'd be interested in me staying another year. So, when is the right time to ask about the possibility of contract renewal? Giving last minute notice is really common here, and it's hard to read my supervisor. I don't think it's inappropriate for me to ask at least a couple of months in advance because I need to know whether I have to get organized and apply for jobs, or if I'm staying.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: When to ask about contract renewal
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 12:00:16 pm »
My contract is up the first week of July at my hagwon. I really like my job and would like to renew. Yet I'm not sure they've had many teachers stay more than one year, and I have no way of knowing if they'd be interested in me staying another year. So, when is the right time to ask about the possibility of contract renewal? Giving last minute notice is really common here, and it's hard to read my supervisor. I don't think it's inappropriate for me to ask at least a couple of months in advance because I need to know whether I have to get organized and apply for jobs, or if I'm staying.
No time like the present!
I wouldn't put it off much past the beginning of May though. End May at the very, very latest.

Also, that whole "last minute notice" thing is kind of an "employer-only privilege" thing. It would definitely suck to mention the fact that you would like to renew only to have them answer that they've essentially already hired your replacement.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:04:17 pm »
30 to 60 days is good to let your intentions known.  I also think it is good to vocalize your intentions through out the year too.  Things like I really like this school and I enjoy living in Korea when asked during small talk are good hints to drop.  Even saying "I might do another year..."   :P

• cari83
  • Adventurer

• September 07, 2011, 08:54:45 am
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 12:08:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice Kyndo and Piggydee. I think I might ask at the beginning or middle of April. I would like to know as soon as possible. Also right now I might mention that I'd like to stay another year in Korea, because I told my supervisor a little while ago that I might do a program in Europe. I hope I'm not jumping the gun but it's not easy not knowing where you'll be living in a few months.