Read 9795 times

• jtdieterich
  • Waygookin

• March 29, 2011, 03:23:41 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
Can you recommend a good hagwon/ recruiter?
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:51:34 am »
I have a friend who is interested in coming to Korea to teach and he has asked me for some advice. Now, I am asking you. He has just returned from teaching English in Chile but he didn't make any money so he wants to come over here ASAP. I think he may be too late to shoot for EPIK in the fall and I am a teacher at a public school so I don't really know anything about teaching in private schools. So I was wondering if anyone could help me help him.
Can you recommend some hagwons to apply to?
Can you recommend a recruiter?
Are there any other programs he should look into?
I really appreciate any help and I'm sure he does, too.  :)

Re: Can you recommend a good hagwon/ recruiter?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:56:04 am »
I am in public schools. Although they say it's "too late" for EPIK or public school programs, teachers are always coming in at different times so I think it's still possible.

BUT, I do know a really cool recruiter who has been helpful for my friends & my boyfriend who has a F4 visa and who needed a little more work getting a job being that he is a Gyopo but not fluent in Korean.  Her name is Julie and her email is mjuly@naver.com

Good luck!

• nardthefox
  • Veteran

• March 09, 2011, 03:18:04 pm
    • Inje, Gangwondo, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:05:58 am »
Hey mate, you can try the guy that hooked me up. Out of three recruiters, he's the best bar none...quite possibly because he's Canadian and living in British Columbia. However, he runs an esl gig that does public schools and hagwons.

Try www.jejuesl.com
His name is Jason. He's good stuff.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:11:10 am »
I used a GREAT recruiter!!! You can follow the blog which has some awesome information as well as the recruiting site.
Blog: kimchicornbread.blogspot.com
Recruitment: saykimchirecruiting.com

They were awesome to me and prompt with any information. I knew I was working with a person and not just a company!

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:32:07 am »
I just went through Alistair Wery and Korean Horizons and arrived last week in Korea.  I found him to be really helpful and honest.

Alistair@koreanhorizons.com

• Jasin
  • Adventurer

• December 01, 2010, 09:03:46 am
    • Ansan, Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:49:55 am »
I used Adventure Teaching and they were and continue to be fantastic. I have also heard that Korvia is an amazing recruiter agency as well. The staff at Adventure Teaching are VERY helpful, even after 6 months into my contract. I highly recommend either of these two recruiters. They are both US/Korea based but I don't know if it matters were your from, hopefully lol. Hope it helps.
Teaching is a craft, so lets get crafty! ;D

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:17:27 am »
I don't know if they place people in Hagwons, but I used Korvia for getting into my public school and they were awesome!

Very very communicative and they placed me in a great school. They even offered a discounted price for an online tefl course and hooked me up with a travel agency to get the flight from the States to Korea. In addition, their website offers a lot of useful information for teachers coming to Korea.

• jtdieterich
  • Waygookin

• March 29, 2011, 03:23:41 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:37:29 am »
Amazing! Thank you everyone for all of your help!

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:06:47 am »
It really doesn't matter what recruiter you use, just use common sense when dealing with them. If they tell you something that is conflicting, doesn't make sense, or is fishy, then drop them and forget about it. I used a recruiter to find my last hagwon, then I investigated myself. I totally took the recruiter out of the picture. Let them find you a job, get the contact details for the current and previous native teachers and talk to them, then you'll get the real deal. If you don't educate yourself first and use good judgement, you'll most likely wind up in a bad place.
If you teach a class that has all special needs kids with only the physical ability to move their hands up and down, then you'll be fired because they all gave you checks instead of circles.

• krtastic
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2010, 07:52:39 pm
    • Naju, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 10:30:14 am »
I second saykimchirecruiting! They're awesome!

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 08:29:12 am »
You are your best recruiter.

90% of recruiters just care about the money they get form placing you.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 12:06:27 pm »
I don't know if they place people in Hagwons, but I used Korvia for getting into my public school and they were awesome!

Korvia sucks! I have a lot of experience and strong references but they never respond to my emails or phone calls. Why? Who the heck knows. Maybe a few years' back I took a job from a competing recruiter and they got miffed and blacklisted me. When I need a new job I send out to several recruiters. Korvia is pretty much the only one that flat out ignores me.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:09 am »

Korvia sucks! I have a lot of experience and strong references but they never respond to my emails or phone calls. Why? Who the heck knows. Maybe a few years' back I took a job from a competing recruiter and they got miffed and blacklisted me. When I need a new job I send out to several recruiters. Korvia is pretty much the only one that flat out ignores me.

Korvia is horrible I used numberous recruiters when I got my first job here. If your friend wants a job look through adds posted by schools. Most recruitment companies will sell you to a hagwon disregarding all things just to make a quick grand or so.

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 01:57:18 pm »

Korvia is horrible I used numberous recruiters when I got my first job here. If your friend wants a job look through adds posted by schools. Most recruitment companies will sell you to a hagwon disregarding all things just to make a quick grand or so.

I second and third this opinion. I've found Korvia very frustrating to work with. I think because they are now so big they've developed a bad attitude towards potential teachers. They seem to have a "You need us much more than we need you" attitude. I find them arrogant and condescending.

Never had any success with them. Ever.