• August 19, 2012, 07:45:59 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
Suzhou (near Shanghai) Info
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:08:03 pm »
ffffff
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:23:12 pm by stotes »

Re: Suzhou (near Shanghai) Info
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 11:13:46 pm »
sorry for not seeing this sooner, passed through there a couple of times, looks nice. not far from Shanghai which is nice. You could do far worse in China like where I'm at now in Chongqing

if I could get a job there, I'd take it, trust me you want to be close to a city like Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou etc

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:28:43 pm »
Check this guys youtube channel out.

He's in a different city, but it gives (mostly) good info on what it's actually like in China.

https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza

You can always check on the pollution here:-

https://waqi.info/

Be sure to click on the locations, as some locations look cleaner than others, but they may not have pm2.5 sensors.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 12:44:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply :)

I recently got a job at an international school that starts in August.  The city now has a high-speed rail link to Shanghai that gets you there in about 30 mins, so definitely close to the major city!

I saw your thread about Chongqing, it sounds like things are working out so far!  Did you have any hassles with banking?  I read that the banking system in China isn't integrated, so you need to open a new account for each city you visit.

Yeah I had to open a new bank account at Bank of China as my new school won't work with China Merchants bank. In regards to sending money back to the states, I'll find out this week how that works. Think I'll be able to have our "handler" send it from her account. Problem I'm going to have is my credit union in the states doesn't have a SWIFT code they said they don't take incoming international transfers which is odd since I was able to send money to it from Korea for 15 years.

One other thing you need to be aware of is your Chinese cell phone number in terms of data is restricted to the province where you got the number, you get less data when you are outside of it. I'm going to have to get a Chongqing number now.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 01:57:54 pm »
One other thing you need to be aware of is your Chinese cell phone number in terms of data is restricted to the province where you got the number, you get less data when you are outside of it. I'm going to have to get a Chongqing number now.

China Telecom works all over China and I am with China Mobile and I get a provincial allowance and a whole of China allowance, no worries at all.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 02:42:20 pm »

China Telecom works all over China and I am with China Mobile and I get a provincial allowance and a whole of China allowance, no worries at all.
I'M with China Unicom as thats where I was taken to to get a sim card when I got here, maybe thats the problem

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:32:30 pm »
I don't know if you're already in Suzhou (if you are I hope it's working out well for you). If you haven't, just make sure of your location within Suzhou (it's a big place). I lived in southern China and had two good job experiences (if I return to China it probably would be to either Shenzhen or Guangzhou where I lived). However, in Suzhou I had two bad experiences (the first one was culture shock related and I returned to teach in Korea, the area of the city I worked/lived has since improved a lot development wise). The other job (which was a bad choice for me) was in Zhangjiagang which is a wealthy and developed (but it's like at the 'ass-end' of Suzhou and boring as hell maybe due to the private centre job I took, it's about 70-80km from the town centre with no rail link for at least another year or two, it's also over two hours to Shanghai but close to Changzhou I think). The town centre of Suzhou is beautiful and vibrant.

• Kev20
  • Veteran

• August 24, 2011, 08:59:11 pm
    • Gumi-si
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:51:21 am »
Hello, I will be starting a job in Suzhou this summer, and I'm curious if anyone has lived there, or worked there.

I will be in the Industrial Complex part of the city working at an international school.

I'm most curious about Suzhou's:
  • Housing - apartment prices / conditions (1BR or 2BR in SIP)
  • Shopping - groceries / markets in SIP
  • Cycling- cycling paths, safety, bike shops
  • Pollution - good/bad seasons, precautions

I'd love to hear from anyone living in that area, or even if you've traveled through there via Shanghai.

Late replying but if you're working for a public school you won't have moved yet. I was in SIP for a couple of years and now I'm in Shenzhen.

Apartment - In SIP you'll get a nice one bedroom for 2,700 -3,000. The company will probably give you 2,000 allowance and will try to room you up with another teacher to cut their costs. That's fine if you don't mind sharing.

Shopping - There is a large Auchan and a Sam's Club in SIP. There's also a Walmart but that's more towards the city and not really worth going to. There is a Japanese shopping mall called Aeon that has very fresh fruit and veg. Also there are a few Vanguard Supermarkets that will have most things you need and they'll be easier to get to from most apartment compleses.

Cycling - I think there are no specifically designated cycling paths but the e-bike roads are everywhere and cyclists use them. I don't cycle but I can imagine e-bikes would be annoying to cyclists and cars parking there also. But I'd say it's safer than a lot of countries where you're cycling with no barrier between you and larger vehicles. There are a few Merida cycling shops that seem to be very popular.

Pollution - This and the salary are the only things I find better in Shenzhen. The pollution in Jiangsu province is pretty bad and Suzhou is no exception. SIP is a fairly new area also with a lot of construction work ongoing. But the worst of it is over but just be careful where you decide to live. I would definitely suggest you check any potential apartment during the day to make sure there is no ongoing construction nearby. Once I rented a place and upstairs they were renovating and the sound of drills was constant for months.

The air quality is irksome. It is mostly in the 150 - 200 region on the AQI. It is not bad enough to be a major concern for locals and for that reason nothing really seems to be done about it. In Beijing you'd have very bad days and some good days. In Jiangsu it is almost constantly white skies. I'd say you're looking at less than 30 days a year of blue skies.

I love Suzhou and SIP and I'd love to go back but the only thing that worries me is the air. I found that if I got a cold or a cough it was very difficult to get over it.