Read 2518 times

Meaningful Middle School Lessons
« on: February 10, 2017, 11:19:36 am »
I teach hour long middle school classes every night at a hagwon. The classes are messy and big and without computers or tech of any sort. It's taken me a while to get into a good rhythm; doing and studying things that matter and don't bore them (or me) to death. Here's some stupid but somehow perfect worksheets that make up the bulk of the class

Here's how this usually goes: Introduce the topic, talk about it a little, show an interesting video or two (meals around the world for the food lesson, the evolution of appearance for the appearance lesson, adventurous type stuff for the adventure one; these are easy enough to find on Youtube/Vimeo, just make sure they're interesting) on my laptop.

Then produce the worksheet (which has two sections: drawing and a little English. My kids LOVE drawing, and are never as receptive to me or the English language as when they're doing that.  This takes about 20 - 35 minutes, depending. I have a few students stand up and present their sketch and what it means, but the point is really to get them thinking abut meaningful stuff and how to articulate it in the writing section.

With maybe twenty minutes left we'll play a simple wind-down game like Taboo / relay / Pictionary, whatever they're in the mood for.

Anyway, this has been working so darn good for me I'll keep adding whatever I come up with here.

Re: Meaningful Middle School Lessons
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »
That's good stuff.  I feel like sometimes I lean too heavy on bomb games and other things like that, so it's good to see some alternative ideas.
Any good recommendations on drawing activities?