• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: When will Trump be impeached?
« Reply #2740 on: October 03, 2019, 08:46:50 pm »

« Reply #2741 on: October 04, 2019, 07:21:13 am »
i don't think anyone thinks russian facebooks ads are the only reason trump won the election (as you're suggesting by comparing them to clinton's spending). the point is that the ads did have an effect, few conservatives seemed to care, and some actually welcomed it.

This is the hackneyed argument that Demartian always comes out with like it's some revelation and the sole reason trump won.  Facebook revealed that up to 126 million may have seen posts by Russian based operatives a campaign that the Mueller report said was, "a social media campaign that favored presidential candidate Donald J. Trump and disparaged presidential candidate Hillary Clinton".  Advertisements bought by Russian operatives for the Facebook social media site are estimated to have reached 10 million users. But many more Facebook users were contacted by accounts created by Russian actors. 470 Facebook accounts are known to have been created by Russians during the 2016 campaign. Of those accounts six generated content that was shared at least 340 million times. 

Then, there was the cyberattacks on the Democrats.

Targeting of important voting blocs and institutions.

Intrusions into state voter-registration systems.

Russian government secretly financed efforts to help trump win.

All of those efforts together were what the Russians did as outlined in the Mueller Report.  The social media element was just a small part of the bigger plan. 

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2742 on: October 04, 2019, 10:56:26 am »
On top of that, we went through at least two years of constant analysis of Donald Trump's victory, and virtually nobody attributed it to the outsized influence of Russian Facebook ads.

« Reply #2743 on: October 04, 2019, 11:44:39 am »
I didn't suggest any of those things, so I'm not going to respond to them. At least, you'll admit that the ads did have an effect on the election? i don't think anyone thinks russian facebooks ads are the only reason trump won the election (as you're suggesting by comparing them to clinton's spending). the point is that the ads did have an effect, few conservatives seemed to care, and some actually welcomed it.
I don't think they had an effect at all, certainly not to the point of significance. There is no evidence they did have an effect. You have to consider all the various factors that went into people voting for someone.

I'd say Hillary face-planting into the back of a van was near the top for undecideds. Around there was the economy, incumbent party fatigue, disgruntlement over PC, anger at the system, etc. etc.

Facebooks ads are so near the bottom that they'd be in line with other factors such as "Was there a traffic jam on the way to the polls?" or perhaps even lower than that. In all likelihood they were less significant than the result of Monday Night Football which actually can affect things- Significant viewership, the closer the game, the later people stay up and the more alcohol they consume, if home team is from a swing state and they win, they will generally favor the incumbent, etc.

These things don't work in a vacuum. You don't plug in X amount of facebook ads and you get Y number more Trump voters. And you certainly can't reduce things to a single variable in this, and in this case, they were likely so insignificant, that to include them as a variable is borderline useless and it is certainly inappropriate to include it over the 500+ other variables that were likely more significant.

Now this isn't political, but it does show the limits of facebook advertising.
https://www.newmediaandmarketing.com/pg-says-targeted-facebook-ads-ineffective/

On top of that, we went through at least two years of constant analysis of Donald Trump's victory, and virtually nobody attributed it to the outsized influence of Russian Facebook ads.
Seriously? Most of the left thinks that Trump won through a combination of Russian interference and "voter suppression".

If you want the most cogent analysis of why Trump won, watch the explanations the night of and the day after. That's when people were actually thinking straight and basing things off of facts. Much like 9/11, in response to trauma, some people started to invent wild conspiracy theories that ignore common sense. Thinking Trump won because of Russia makes about as much sense as the US needing to fly hologrammed airplanes into a controlled demolition of the WTC in order to invade a country.

Nah it couldn't be because voters were angry, the Dem candidate sucked and she faceplanted into a van at Ground Zero. No, it was Russian facebook ads with their magical powers of persuasion and the fact that millions of Americans were riveted by the Podesta emails thanks to Russian hacking.

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2744 on: October 04, 2019, 12:13:20 pm »
Seriously? Most of the left thinks that Trump won through a combination of Russian interference and "voter suppression".

I don't know who you think "the left" are, but if you check in on anyone from Michael Moore to Bernie Sanders to Sam Seder to David Pakman to Cornel West to Amy Goodman to Noam Chomsky to Elizabeth Warren to Bill Maher to Matt Taibbi to Seymour Hersh, and a thousand more people in between, none of them have espoused this view. Furthermore, nobody I know in real life has ever expressed anything like what you're suggesting. So if this really is the left-wing message, then it failed to reach the left.

« Reply #2745 on: October 04, 2019, 12:27:56 pm »

I don't know who you think "the left" are, but if you check in on anyone from Michael Moore to Bernie Sanders to Sam Seder to David Pakman to Cornel West to Amy Goodman to Noam Chomsky to Elizabeth Warren to Bill Maher to Matt Taibbi to Seymour Hersh, and a thousand more people in between, none of them have espoused this view. Furthermore, nobody I know in real life has ever expressed anything like what you're suggesting. So if this really is the left-wing message, then it failed to reach the left.

When Demartian mentions 'I met these foreigners' or 'others' or 'those people' or 'on the left' in one of his anecdotes to prove a point, just treat it the same as when trump starts a sentence with 'you know, people come up to me and say, mr president.....'.  It's the same group of imaginary people.  Just humour them...

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #2746 on: October 04, 2019, 12:47:07 pm »
...indded

« Reply #2747 on: October 04, 2019, 12:58:52 pm »
I didn't suggest any of those things, so I'm not going to respond to them. At least, you'll admit that the ads did have an effect on the election? i don't think anyone thinks russian facebooks ads are the only reason trump won the election (as you're suggesting by comparing them to clinton's spending). the point is that the ads did have an effect, few conservatives seemed to care, and some actually welcomed it.
I don't think they had an effect at all, certainly not to the point of significance. There is no evidence they did have an effect. You have to consider all the various factors that went into people voting for someone.

....Around there was the economy, incumbent party fatigue, disgruntlement over PC, anger at the system, etc. etc...

...Nah it couldn't be because voters were angry, the Dem candidate sucked and she faceplanted into a van at Ground Zero. No, it was Russian facebook ads with their magical powers of persuasion...

again you're responding to lots of positions i don't hold. i'm not gonna respond to any of those.

i'm still not sure why exactly you're ignoring how interrelated these issues are. i mean that social media ads, memes, and groups did a lot to exacerbate most of the problems you've referenced. disgruntlement over pc? anger at the system? the state of the economy? even clinton's faceplant... these issues were all talked about on social media in ads, memes, and groups (many of which were related to russian activity).

in other words, no shit voters were angry, but they were angry on social media. and at least a couple hundred thousand of them interacted with russian content.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #2748 on: October 04, 2019, 07:02:30 pm »
Wow..coincidentally the whistleblower (who, only had second hand, third hand, information to go on) took a pit-stop to to...Congressman Schiff's office. BEFORE information IG about the information on its way to be reported. 

...ahem Schiff was supposed to information the chain of command about this and he failed to do that, just like Feinkenstien allowed that nonsense case by Blah-Blah Ford to sit on her desk for a couple of months. 

Guess who Schiff's team has worked with in the past...

Basically, it seems the actual whistleblower is President Trump himself...

Anyway...nobody wants to acknowledge how or why the process/laws regarding filing said type of information suddenly changed under the radar....

More on Schiff....

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/429041-adam-schiff-glenn-simpson-and-their-forrest-gump-like-encounter-in-aspen

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/02/us/politics/adam-schiff-whistleblower.html

https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/15/adam-schiff-fusion-gps-glenn-simpson/

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/adam-schiff-adam-smith-call-benghazi-officers-liars/

...it goes on .

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:12:08 pm by NorthStar »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #2749 on: October 04, 2019, 07:20:42 pm »
Wow..coincidentally the whistleblower (who, only had second hand, third hand, information to go on) took a pit-stop to to...Congressman Schiff's office. BEFORE information IG about the information on its way to be reported. 

...ahem Schiff was supposed to information the chain of command about this and he failed to do that, just like Feinkenstien allowed that nonsense case by Blah-Blah Ford to sit on her desk for a couple of months. 

Anyway...nobody wants to acknowledge how or why the process/laws regarding filing said type of information suddenly changed under the radar....

More on Schiff....

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/429041-adam-schiff-glenn-simpson-and-their-forrest-gump-like-encounter-in-aspen

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/adam-schiff-adam-smith-call-benghazi-officers-liars/

...it goes on .

Nice deflection. You should get a job on Trump's anti-impeachment team.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #2750 on: October 04, 2019, 07:29:17 pm »
How about you counter said "deflection"?

How are those data points wrong?

« Reply #2751 on: October 04, 2019, 07:52:12 pm »
Remember guys, Northstar doesn't like Trump, he just defends everything he does and posts shitty memes in defense of Trump.

Not worth responding to seriously.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2752 on: October 04, 2019, 08:17:24 pm »

More on Schiff....

...it goes on .

Nice deflection. You should get a job on Trump's anti-impeachment team.
Because it didn't.

Schiff's committee handled the whistle blower's complaint by the book. Any comment to the contrary is just a dishonest don lie.

What law school did Guliani go to because he has taken the old saw about lawyers lying for their clients to a new  low.

As for deflections, that's all you and your corpulent crook have.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:22:10 pm by gogators! »

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #2753 on: October 04, 2019, 10:15:51 pm »
..ouch.

• Adel
  • Expert Waygook

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #2754 on: October 05, 2019, 02:26:17 am »
Texts From Top Diplomat Described ‘Crazy’ Plan to Keep Aid From Ukraine

“As I said on the phone, I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign,” Taylor later texted Sondland on Sept. 9, complaining that the Trump administration’s decision to withhold congressionally approved military aid to Ukraine had already created a “nightmare scenario.”
       https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/us/politics/kurt-volker-impeachment.html

I wonder when Trump will resort to the use of polonium-210 for his political opponents?
I wouldn't  imagine his supporters would have a problem with it as long as it was done  live in front of cameras.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:29:02 am by Adel »

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:25:10 am by Arsalan »

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:25:42 am by Arsalan »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #2757 on: October 05, 2019, 11:34:12 am »
Bet you didn't read all that.

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #2758 on: October 05, 2019, 02:20:30 pm »
Anyone else notice the kind of slightly glazed and vacant eyes that a lot of US (and other) politicians have?

oo oo ahh ahh

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2759 on: October 05, 2019, 03:07:59 pm »
https://www.linkedin.com/content-guest/article/mayor-livermore-california-explains-trumps-popularity-julian-mccall
 He fights for America!
Bwahahaha.

As long as you define "America" as "Donald Trump's personal financial interests, his enormous yet fragile ego, his snowflake victimhood and his perverse view of reality."